Is it a sin to smoke weed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Adam1996
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you smoke weed…you get high…that is intoxication. Let he who has ears…hear.

Three beers is 36 oz of alcohol…that is something I am compelled to confess according to my spiritual father. I suppose each person would have to ask his/her confessor. There could be extenuating circumstances such as propensity to alcoholism.
Aside from the legalities:
the two issues are the same. A person can use marijuana for medical purposes, or more likely for catching a buzz.
Alcohol has some health benefits but is primarily used for the buzz also. You can’t give yourself wiggle room with one and not the other, if you are going to be consistent.
 
Intention! Intention! If it is your intention to drink beer and get drunk…it is a sin! The Church teaches this. Some people can get drunk in two or three beers (depending on body weight and food intake). You cannnot smoke weed without the intention of getting high (intoxicated). Do you understand? Ask your priest.
You’re going to have to explain the logic there.

How can you claim that marijuana cannot be smoked without the intention of getting high, but alcohol can be drunk without the intention of getting high? That is simply part of societies’ prejudice in favor of alcohol as the drug of choice.
BTW, alcohol kills way way way more people than pot.
 
the key is to take a look at the effects of pot as opposed to alcohol or tobacco which are legal.

Marijuana makes us extremely vulnerable quickly. What do I mean by vulnerable? Spiritual Warfare. Im not saying Lucifer invented marijuana or that it’s the drug of the devil, but it is extremely important to be entirely aware of our surroundings. Dont quote me on this as fact, but from experience marijuana can lower awareness. (At other times it increases awareness, I would smoke weed before basketball or weightlifting). Ultimately it can cause issues and it will cause issues if it is abused.

So in regards to the OP i would say no, marijuana is not a sin because:
  1. Marijuana can lower awareness
  2. Lower awareness causes us to be less aware (at times) of the devil who, “prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” Peter 5:8
  3. Therefore, we can be more vulnerable to the devil when we smoke marijuana at times
BUT IS IT A SIN??? (Original Post)
It is a personal matter of conscience. Can you resist the devil if he decides to attack when you’re high? Can you enter into deep prayer with God when you are high? Can you read and open your heart to scripture when you are high? These are things to ask yourself… but i wouldnt test the waters

And people who drink and don’t know their limit need to ask themselves those same questions
If you are smoking OR drinking solely for the purpose of dumbing down awareness, that would be sinful. You can’t put yourself in a state of stupor and then claim exemption from sin when the inevitable consequences happen. This is one of the alcoholics’ favorite rationalizations.

As an aside, I could claim unawareness in just about any case. If I look at pornography and become hooked, their are addiction problems similar to alcohol. Can I excuse myself from sin for looking at a naked woman, because my will and conscience are deformed from the behavior itself? Hardly.
 
If you are smoking OR drinking solely for the purpose of dumbing down awareness, that would be sinful. You can’t put yourself in a state of stupor and then claim exemption from sin when the inevitable consequences happen. This is one of the alcoholics’ favorite rationalizations.
but the “dumbing down” of awareness can be a natural effect of marijuana

even if your smoking marijuana before you go run a marathon. It can cause the senses to lower.

So marijuana can definitely “dumb down the senses” especially if one were to smoke marijuana and then lay down and listen to music.

from personal experience
 
Then drinking beer is a mortal sin also, if you’re going to be consistent about your classification.
We don’t hold that drinking beer is a mortal sin, so it is a leap to say that smoking marijuana is INHERENTLY sinful. Disobeying laws against smoking pot and drinking and driving are a different matter and are sinful.
This is the exact point I have been trying to express for several posts. At what point is it sinful. Two drinks, three? That’s why I can’t see two or three drinks (even depending on the alcohol content) as sinful. So pot, which does not always get you stoned depending on the amount consumed, is not sinful unless designated illegal somewhere.
 
but the “dumbing down” of awareness can be a natural effect of marijuana

even if your smoking marijuana before you go run a marathon. It can cause the senses to lower.

So marijuana can definitely “dumb down the senses” especially if one were to smoke marijuana and then lay down and listen to music.

from personal experience
Booze can dumb you down real bad. Take it from me as a recovered alcoholic.
 
You’re going to have to explain the logic there.

How can you claim that marijuana cannot be smoked without the intention of getting high, but alcohol can be drunk without the intention of getting high? That is simply part of societies’ prejudice in favor of alcohol as the drug of choice.
BTW, alcohol kills way way way more people than pot.
Huge BINGO! 👍
 
A person can use marijuana for medical purposes,
I already addressed that…it is rare to be prescribed marijuana to smoke…but if it is, then you would speak with your confessor.
or more likely for catching a buzz.
Then it would be a confessable sin.
Alcohol has some health benefits but is primarily used for the buzz also.
Exactly…drinking for intoxication is sinful. Scripture tells us that.
 
How can you claim that marijuana cannot be smoked without the intention of getting high,
I’m not. When you smoke it…you get high.
but alcohol can be drunk without the intention of getting high?
One can have a glass of wine with dinner with no intention of getting drunk…and in fact…not being drunk.
BTW, alcohol kills way way way more people than pot.
There on not many statisics on how many are killed when the driver is high as opposed to drunk…both are dangerous and both are sinful according to the Church.
 
So pot, which does not always get you stoned depending on the amount consumed, is not sinful unless designated illegal somewhere.
Pot always gets you stoned. There is no such event as smoking pot and not getting stoned.
 
As an aside, I could claim unawareness in just about any case.
Exactly! We can be deceived by the evil one into justifying almost anything in this life. People will do as their conscience dictates. To all those who may try to justify smoking pot…I strongly recommend a talk with your confessor.

I have weighed in this issues. I have said all that I can say. My time on this thread has ended. 🙂

Good day everyone! :tiphat:
 
Pot always gets you stoned. There is no such event as smoking pot and not getting stoned.
No. That is not the case. If one desires to get stoned smoking pot, then it is as one who desires to get drunk while drinking

I realize you may not want to answer the question I keep posing about drinking because it goes to the crux of the question about pot. If you have three gin and tonics, are you sinning? You might say it depends on the “potency” of the drink, in other words how much gin, or what your body weight is. Potency is a variable with pot. In addition , taking one or two hits of weed may not get you stoned, just like two or three drinks may not get everybody drunk.

I just want to know if you are saying that every guy or girl that is having 2 or three beers, or two glasses of wine, or 2 scotch on the rocks are sinning? They are feeling the “pleasurable effects” of alcohol but are not drunk. The minute you feel any effect of alcohol your drunk?

EDIT- Just noticed you left this post, I just couldn/t get you to answer the specific question about drinking no matter what. All the best.
 
Pot always gets you stoned. There is no such event as smoking pot and not getting stoned.
Since you are using -always getting stoned- as your jumping off point for sin:
For the sake of argument, lets say I agree with you. The question becomes, why do you then ignore the fact that alcohol -always- gets you stoned, if in fact pot -always- gets you stoned. It cannot work in one case and not the other. If you are going to talk about sin, the matter is objective. You are throwing in a prejudice in favor of alcohol that doesn’t follow.
The degree of impairment due to marijuana is certainly dependent on the quantity smoked, just like alcohol. One is -not- more inherently sinful than the other unless you take into account the legalities. In fact the case against alcohol being sinful is more solid due to the higher degree impairment of judgement and reflexes…
 
No. That is not the case. If one desires to get stoned smoking pot, then it is as one who desires to get drunk while drinking
I have returned to address your accusation one last time. I know from years past, through experience, that smoking pot always gets you stoned. It is a different creature than alcohol. You can have an alcoholic beverage and not be drunk…but you can’t smoke a joint and only be half-way stoned. You are high…stoned…intoxicated.

I have answered your question for the umpteenth time…but you do not have ears to hear. It does not matter how many times I answer your question…you are not going to accept it.

Don’t take my word for it…ask your confessor. I have said that many times but you continue to ignore it. Just be obedient to your confessor…and you can’t go wrong.
Same goes for you clem! 👍

And now I shall exit. 😃
 
EDIT- Just noticed you left this post, I just couldn/t get you to answer the specific question about drinking no matter what. All the best.
Mickey has been unambiguous this entire thread. You are really putting forth a herculean effort not to get this. I’m not trying to be combative here. It seems we’ve all been in this particular boat before, but it sounds like you’re still trying to keep one foot in it. Is there something going with you that you’re not saying? I’m truly mystified how this thread continues to go in circles. I totally get it. Pot truly is more potent than *most *alcohols (Escoriel Grun, Absinthe, Bacardi 121 et. al. withstanding) and Mickey, an ordained priest, has spoken against more than once.

Are you still using? I pray for you if you are. It’s the only explanation I can think of. Why are you fighting so hard to avoid a very simply-stated conclusion? I know from experience (an experience that you’ve said that you share) that I need to stay away from intoxicants for my own good. There is a lot of hair splitting going on now. Amoeba-hair splitting. Hair-on-a-subatomic-particle hair-splitting.
 
Mickey, an ordained priest, has spoken against more than once.
I am sorry to post again after I said I was finished…twice. :o

But alas…I must clarify that I am not an ordained priest. I posted a comment from a priest…and that may have caused some confusion. But I am discerning the diaconate if that counts for anything. 😃
 
I am sorry to post again after I said I was finished…twice. :o

But alas…I must clarify that I am not an ordained priest. I posted a comment from a priest…and that may have caused some confusion. But I am discerning the diaconate if that counts for anything. 😃
Oh…my bad. 😊 Discerning the diaconate works for me. I was once an undergraduate seminarian but never attended the major seminary. I will pray for your vocation; I’m officially out of the running.
 
lets say some 20 year old guy smoked a bowl for the first time in his life. He would likely feel high and unaware of his surroundings, and therefore that would be a sin. This same man smokes a bowl everyday for the rest of his life, no more, no less, and he isn’t unaware. He simply feels an enjoyable buzz. He is more alert, and his bowl of marijuana is equivalent to an average joes cup of joe in the morning.

So, is it a sin only the first time? Would he go to his confessor and say, “im sorry I smoked marijuana one time because i experienced side effects that would be considered abuse.”

now lets take the same example except substitute a can of beer for the bowl of marijuana.

The person who drinks a beer never gets drunk! He never experiences sinful side effects. He would never need to go to his confessor. (unless he were on a complete empty stomach… but that would have to apply to both examples)

In order to enjoy the true side effects of weed you must get high or buzzed! One of the side effects of feeling high or buzzed can be unawareness (among a couple other sinful states of mind that cause impairment to spiritual connection with God The Creator)
 
Mexicans are being beheaded in Mexico and getting dumped onto freeways by the cartels that are supplying the US with most of it’s pot. The rest of it comes from the Middle East predominately, supporting terrorist organizations.

Every time the 20 year old guy takes a toke, he’s supporting the evil system that brings pot into this country. He is in mortal sin just for that.

Yo, potheads! This is rationalization. No more BS scenarios. You *know *better!
 
Mexicans are being beheaded in Mexico and getting dumped onto freeways by the cartels that are supplying the US with most of it’s pot. The rest of it comes from the Middle East predominately, supporting terrorist organizations.

Every time the 20 year old guy takes a toke, he’s supporting the evil system that brings pot into this country. He is in mortal sin just for that.
This is true Nom, but the same thing can be said with many things we use in America. This is again splitting hairs on a sub-atomic particle level. lol

I forgot to add in my previous post to clem and johnny primarily…

Your best way to reason out of this would be to say that in order to enjoy alcohol you must enjoy the buzz, tipsy, or drunk state. But I would disagree!

I can enjoy a few beers without feelings a buzz!

And it is somewhat ludicrous to compare marijuana and alcohol in the first place.The buzz feelings are completely different (as was said before). Marijuana is a stimulant, and alcohol is a depressant. Which means opposite side effects.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top