It’s been a while since I’ve had to do one of these point-by-point responses. I only just remembered how to do this.
As I posted on another thread on this same subject, One can ingest alcoholic beverages to enjoy their flavor alone or to enhance the flavor of food without intending to or actually getting a buzz on or get high. There is no way on G*ds green earth that one can smoke or otherwise ingest cannabis (Marijuana or Hashish) without gettin a buzz on or becoming high. No one uses MJ or Hash for its flavor.
You’re not going to believe this, but I did. I *loved *the smell of marijuana. For a while I used to burn sage as an incense to get close to that similar scent. Sometimes, at a Rush concert (the only concerts I go to anymore are Rush concerts) I’ll look forward to that moment when someone nearby sparks up a joint. God forgive me, but I do. Cigarettes were far more detrimental to my health, I was addicted to them, and they
stank! I knew, even when I was smoking that they
stank but that nicotine fix kept me coming back. I’m not lying here, George. I want you to understand me.
And I drink maybe once a year. Just a couple sips of wine puts me on the road to buzz. I’m no barbarian, but I’ve also never been so cultured as to have been taught how to drink wine with a meal and savor it. That’s very upper class, George, and I’m pretty broke right now. The only alcohol I drink, when I drink, are “girly” drinks (Kahlua and creme, Amaretto Stone Sour).
One inegests it for the effect it causes on ones system. This is a sin by any Catholic definition; and, any argument against this is mere self delusion.
Mind-altering experiences come in many forms. Kids snuff markers and glue, or strangle themselves, people jump out of planes for the adrenaline rush, etc. Even prayer/meditation for some is an attempt at getting a “natural” high. Obviously prayer/meditation are healthy and desirable things, but I’m just trying to make the point that I know exactly what you mean; there is no argument that pot isn’t one of those things that people use to get “buzzed,” or “high” (please forgive the double negative). I’ve already agreed in my earlier posts that *currently *marijuana is sinful based on the devastation being caused to grow and deliver it. But even JRR Tolkien smoked pot on a trip to Jamaica, back when there was no real international demand. More people have died in history over the transport of tea to England than have died due to marijuana use. Marijuana can be abused, and it is being abused, but it is not in and of itself sinful. The word “canvas” comes from cannibus, because canvas and rope were once widely made using marijuana.
The only licit, moral use for MJ is medicinal, where it is ingested to alleviate some of the unpleasant side effects of some modern cancer and other medications.
If you have any doubt of this, enter “Examination of Conscience for Catholics” on any search engine. You will find numerous sites to assist that very thing.
This is funny to me George, because in terms of drugs to alleve unpleasant side effects of disease, pot is the LAST drug I’d use. Give me 1000mg pills of Tylenol anyday instead of pot. Medical marijuana is just a red herring created by the dope fiends to try to get pot one step closer to legalization again. I’m surprised, with your vehemence, that you didn’t catch that.
Every one of them lists smoking MJ as a mortal sin! So stop kidding yourself…
I will look into that presently.