Lazarus and the Rich Man

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mickey
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The word penance can mean several things.
  1. It is the Sacrament by which our sins are forgiven. When used this way it is usually capitalized.
  2. It is an act of self sacrifice, such as fasting and almgiving.
  3. It is the assignment given during the Sacrament of Penance (or Reconciliation) which is meant as “satisfaction” for the wrongs against our neighbor our sins may have produced.
When you have used this word , I have thought that you use it in the sense of definition 3.
I was quite clear that to do repentance is doing the act of suffering which is indeed penance.

You are the one that claims that to repent and to repentance is the same act.

Tell me if to repent and do repentance is indeed the same thing. Why are we told to REPENT and SIN NO MORE. Why does it say and sin no more. If indeed it is the same act?🤷
 
None of the verses you cite show the difference that you seem to believe exists between repent and repentance. Both words speak to the that same thing, a change of heart that leads to a change in behavior. Repent is a verb. Repentance is the noun form of repent.
:
Here is another for you. Proverbs 28:13

He who conceals his sins prospers not, but he who confesses AND forsakes them obtain mercy.

Forsaking is repenting and confession must be in uniform with it to secure Mercy.
 
I was quite clear that to do repentance is doing the act of suffering which is indeed penance.

You are the one that claims that to repent and to repentance is the same act.

Tell me if to repent and do repentance is indeed the same thing. Why are we told to REPENT and SIN NO MORE. Why does it say and sin no more. If indeed it is the same act?🤷
You choice of words continue to confuse me, and I fear others as well. But too say more I would only be a repeating what I have already posted.

Peace.
 
You choice of words continue to confuse me, and I fear others as well. But too say more I would only be a repeating what I have already posted.

Peace.
I also feel the same way. I can say no more, or explain what I believe any better then I already have. I feel that I have explained and showed in scripture also what I have been taught.

You seem to disagree with my words, and with my understanding, there is nothing I can do about that.

I feel I have showed proof of why I believe what I do, and where I feel that it is indeed found in the Bible.

You only seem to disagree with me, but never show me where it can be disputed. So may we depart in Gods peace for now. And leave it to the Holy Spirt to help us to see where we have our weakness in understanding. Because to me pride is nothing, but to help others understand is everything. I am sure you fill the same way.
 
more of a real Catholic perspective from variou sources.

“Wishing to come down to topics that are practical and of some urgency, the Council lays stress on respect for the human person: everyone should look upon his neighbor (without any exception) as another self, bearing in mind above all his life and the means necessary for living it in a dignified way lest he follow the example of the rich man who ignored Lazarus, the poor man” (Vatican II, “Gaudium Et Spes”, 27).

usccb.org/sdwp/ejp/background/articles/consumption.shtml
As the basis of his teaching, the Holy Father drew upon the parable in St. Luke’s Gospel regarding Lazarus and the rich man. The Lukan Gospel is particularly harsh regarding the hazards of wealth. The parable may be read as another illustration of the biblical saying that it is easier for a camel to pass through the needle’s eye than for a rich person to enter God’s kingdom (Lk 18:25). What is notable in the parable is that the rich man is condemned because he is rich. Enclosed in his world of wealth and self-sufficiency that wealth brings, he simply failed to notice Lazarus begging at his gate, much less help him. Even the natural world, symbolized by the dogs licking Lazarus’ sores, displayed more sympathy. The rich man’s incurable spiritual condition continues into eternity; he continues to regard Lazarus as a social inferior and begs Abraham to dispatch Lazarus with a message of warning to his brothers. Abraham explains that this is impossible: the “abyss” between Lazarus and the rich man is “too great” (Lk 16:19ff).

ewtn.com/library/MARY/JP2ANMTR.HTM
There are so many poor-rich people and so many more rich-poor people in today’s world. This is well explained in the parable of Lazarus and the rich man in the Gospel of Luke (cf. 16:19-31). The rich man was condemned to hell, not for the evils he committed, the lies he told, the blasphemies and bad words he uttered, but for failing to do what he should have done. “I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink… Lord, when did we see you hungry, thirsty, naked, homeless, sick or imprisoned?.. As long as you did not do this to the least of my brothers, you did not do it to me… These will go to eternal damnation, while the just to eternal life” (cf. Mt 25:31-46).
 
Parables do indeed POINT to literal and metaphorical truths, but are never literal in and of themselves.

There was no insult in anything I said. “Warm, fuzzy, and spiritual” sounding is hardly an insult. Is that what you’re talking about?
The persons in a parable don’t necessarily have to represent something other than what they are, although they might. The rich man doesn’t have to be anything other than a rich man. He doesn’t have to symbolize Israel or anthing. The poor man doesn’t have to be anything but a poor man. Your interpretation might be true but that is not the only possibility. The parable of the rich man and the poor man certainly relates to the relationship between two individual men (the rich and poor man) and the result of how the rich man treated the poor man. The interpretation of hell in this parable can not be avoided. There are different depths to parables that all might be true.
 
more of a real Catholic perspective from variou sources.

“Wishing to come down to topics that are practical and of some urgency, the Council lays stress on respect for the human person: everyone should look upon his neighbor (without any exception) as another self, bearing in mind above all his life and the means necessary for living it in a dignified way lest he follow the example of the rich man who ignored Lazarus, the poor man” (Vatican II, “Gaudium Et Spes”, 27).

usccb.org/sdwp/ejp/background/articles/consumption.shtml
As the basis of his teaching, the Holy Father drew upon the parable in St. Luke’s Gospel regarding Lazarus and the rich man. The Lukan Gospel is particularly harsh regarding the hazards of wealth. The parable may be read as another illustration of the biblical saying that it is easier for a camel to pass through the needle’s eye than for a rich person to enter God’s kingdom (Lk 18:25). What is notable in the parable is that the rich man is condemned because he is rich. Enclosed in his world of wealth and self-sufficiency that wealth brings, he simply failed to notice Lazarus begging at his gate, much less help him. Even the natural world, symbolized by the dogs licking Lazarus’ sores, displayed more sympathy. The rich man’s incurable spiritual condition continues into eternity; he continues to regard Lazarus as a social inferior and begs Abraham to dispatch Lazarus with a message of warning to his brothers. Abraham explains that this is impossible: the “abyss” between Lazarus and the rich man is “too great” (Lk 16:19ff).

ewtn.com/library/MARY/JP2ANMTR.HTM
There are so many poor-rich people and so many more rich-poor people in today’s world. This is well explained in the parable of Lazarus and the rich man in the Gospel of Luke (cf. 16:19-31). The rich man was condemned to hell, not for the evils he committed, the lies he told, the blasphemies and bad words he uttered, but for failing to do what he should have done. “I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink… Lord, when did we see you hungry, thirsty, naked, homeless, sick or imprisoned?.. As long as you did not do this to the least of my brothers, you did not do it to me… These will go to eternal damnation, while the just to eternal life” (cf. Mt 25:31-46).
When Jesus talks in parables again there are many of lessons to be learned. You cannot say that is was a certain Rich Man. Again I was taught there is alot to be shown. Again the parable did not say that the rich man turned completely away from God. It also did not say that at his death bed he was not sorry, And the parable also did not say that you cannot repent venial sin after death. Which is what you have all been saying to me. I asked for proof the way you see it. I showed my proof the way I see it. I was taught again no one knows the mercy of God and the mercy he will or will not give to another human being. All I said is, this to me shows the rich man in purgatory. No one has showed me how I am wrong yet. All they are doing is giving me others views on it. All I get it mean remarks, but nothing that can say what I am saying is untrue! I also said I believe we could all be the rich man one time or another in our life. Judge and be judged. I would pray that if I was blind to some kind if teachings of Christ that he would have Mercy on me. And I believe he had mercy on the rich man. I have yet to hear many other views. Just judgement on my view actually.
 
When Jesus talks in parables again there are many of lessons to be learned. You cannot say that is was a certain Rich Man. Again I was taught there is alot to be shown. Again the parable did not say that the rich man turned completely away from God. It also did not say that at his death bed he was not sorry, And the parable also did not say that you cannot repent venial sin after death. Which is what you have all been saying to me. I asked for proof the way you see it. I showed my proof the way I see it. I was taught again no one knows the mercy of God and the mercy he will or will not give to another human being. All I said is, this to me shows the rich man in purgatory. No one has showed me how I am wrong yet. All they are doing is giving me others views on it. All I get it mean remarks, but nothing that can say what I am saying is untrue! I also said I believe we could all be the rich man one time or another in our life. Judge and be judged. I would pray that if I was blind to some kind if teachings of Christ that he would have Mercy on me. And I believe he had mercy on the rich man. I have yet to hear many other views. Just judgement on my view actually.
Do you realize that would you write here is in direct conflict with what Pope John Paul II taught on this parable?
 
Do you realize that would you write here is in direct conflict with what Pope John Paul II taught on this parable?
No David could you show me what I said that is in direct conflict with the Pope?
 
Pope Benedict points out that the State the rich man finds himself is not yet the eternal punishment of hell. According to the Jewish belief but an intermediate State between death and ressurrection. A final State yet to be pronounced. (spe Salvi n 44)

Again this intermediate State is what we call purgatory.

Tell me David what did I say that is so wrong. Is this not waiting for the Mercy Of our Lord Jesus Christ. ANd again where is the rich man. Where is the State.

I never said where the rich man went. I said he was in Purgatory. :confused:
 
Pope Benedict points out that the State the rich man finds himself is not yet the eternal punishment of hell. According to the Jewish belief but an intermediate State between death and ressurrection. A final State yet to be pronounced. (spe Salvi n 44)

Again this intermediate State is what we call purgatory.

Tell me David what did I say that is so wrong. Is this not waiting for the Mercy Of our Lord Jesus Christ. ANd again where is the rich man. Where is the State.

I never said where the rich man went. I said he was in Purgatory. :confused:
The intermediate state the Jews spoke of is not the same idea as purgatory. It is called sheol. This is generally what is understood when it is said that Christ descended into hell.

Saying he went to purgatory is the same thing as saying he went to heaven because the doctrine of purgatory says that you can’t go to hell once you are in purgatory.
 
Pope Benedict points out that the State the rich man finds himself is not yet the eternal punishment of hell. According to the Jewish belief but an intermediate State between death and ressurrection. A final State yet to be pronounced. (spe Salvi n 44)

Again this intermediate State is what we call purgatory.

Tell me David what did I say that is so wrong. Is this not waiting for the Mercy Of our Lord Jesus Christ. ANd again where is the rich man. Where is the State.

I never said where the rich man went. I said he was in Purgatory. :confused:
Purgatory does not happen until after we are judged.

If the rich man, as Pope Benedict XVI suggests, is in an intermediate state prior to being judged, then he cannot yet be in Purgatory, although certainly he is not yet in Hell.

But Pope Benedict also describes him as being “irrevocably destroyed” in the previous paragraph, so his ultimate destiny is not likely to include a journey through Purgatory.
 
Pope Benedict points out that the State the rich man finds himself is not yet the eternal punishment of hell. According to the Jewish belief but an intermediate State between death and ressurrection. A final State yet to be pronounced. (spe Salvi n 44)

Again this intermediate State is what we call purgatory.

Tell me David what did I say that is so wrong. Is this not waiting for the Mercy Of our Lord Jesus Christ. ANd again where is the rich man. Where is the State.

I never said where the rich man went. I said he was in Purgatory. :confused:
From Luke 16
And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.’
If this “chasm” cannot be crossed, there is no reason to believe that the rich man is in a place of purification (purgatory). The rich man can never be where Lazarus is, which is eventually heaven.
 
The intermediate state the Jews spoke of is not the same idea as purgatory. It is called sheol. This is generally what is understood when it is said that Christ descended into hell.

Saying he went to purgatory is the same thing as saying he went to heaven because the doctrine of purgatory says that you can’t go to hell once you are in purgatory.
Okay but hold on isn’t sheol the hades the same place. That is where we get the whole idea of purgatory. In the OT it was a place where the soul got purged correct.

Proverbs: By mercy and faith sins are purged away and by the fear of the Lord everyone declineth from evil.
 
Okay but hold on isn’t sheol the hades the same place. That is where we get the whole idea of purgatory. In the OT it was a place where the soul got purged correct.
No. The Limbo of the Fathers (sheol, hades, gehenna, or whatever you choose to call it) ceased to exist when Jesus arose from the dead. It was replaced with Purgatory, Heaven, and Hell.
Proverbs: By mercy and faith sins are purged away and by the fear of the Lord everyone declineth from evil.
The writer of the book of Proverbs had no concept of an afterlife; he was referring to being purged in this life. 😉
 
Okay but hold on isn’t sheol the hades the same place. That is where we get the whole idea of purgatory. In the OT it was a place where the soul got purged correct.

Proverbs: By mercy and faith sins are purged away and by the fear of the Lord everyone declineth from evil.
No, it is simply the place where all those who died went. It is not for purgation or for punishment. I think P. Benedict talks a little about it in his book on Eschatology.
 
No, it is simply the place where all those who died went. It is not for purgation or for punishment. I think P. Benedict talks a little about it in his book on Eschatology.
No from what I have read it was the same place in the OT. The cleansing of impurity and sin.

The RC support it.

Matt 5:26
l cor 3:13
2 maccabees
 
No. The Limbo of the Fathers (sheol, hades, gehenna, or whatever you choose to call it) ceased to exist when Jesus arose from the dead. It was replaced with Purgatory, Heaven, and Hell.

The writer of the book of Proverbs had no concept of an afterlife; he was referring to being purged in this life. 😉
Only Limbo is all that Pope B disagreed with. Again he agree with the OT and the RC agrees with it. We just call the in between place purgatory from what I understand.
 
No from what I have read it was the same place in the OT. The cleansing of impurity and sin.

The RC support it.

Matt 5:26
l cor 3:13
2 maccabees
No, it had nothing to do with purification or cleansing. It was simply a place where the dead were. It is a somewhat depraved existence. P. Benedict speaks of it as a place where the LORD was not (according to the understanding of the Jews). On the contrary, purgatory is understood to be after the resurrection. The resurrection is a statement that God has power even over sheol, or the place of the dead. The RC doesn’t make any comparrison between Purgatory and Sheol. The RC speaks of it as the Limbo of the Fathers, a holding place for those who died before Christ. Just like the concept of limbo of infants is not a place of purification neither is that of the fathers.
 
Only Limbo is all that Pope B disagreed with. Again he agree with the OT and the RC agrees with it. We just call the in between place purgatory from what I understand.
The problem is that P. Benedict never speaks of Sheol being equivalent to purgatory. It is not an in between place in the OT, it is simply the place of the dead. Maybe in some of the later books of the OT it could be concieved as an intermediate place like in Macc. but it is not spoken of as a place of purification.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top