Lockdowns never again: Sweden was right, and we were wrong

• Thread starter Thread starter Cathoholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The other thing I would like to see is a comparison of the average age of death between Sweden and these other countries.
By end of June, 70% of deaths in Sweden were persons above 70 and half that number were persons in nursing homes and a quarter receiving home care/ attention .
Tegnell, chief epidemiologist in charge of Public Health Agency said that they thought that their society, segregated by age ,would avoid a situation as in Italy where various generations often live together,( share a home) but that they were mistaken and that the number dead persons raised dramatically.
He describes the situation, the amount of dead people, as terrible.

By the August 23 according to statista.com:

70-79 years. 1,252
80-90 years 2,411
90 years and older 1,516

Hope it helps a bit in your search for those answers.

Last edited:
Thank you graciew for that information.

So Sweden has had so far, 234 deaths in patients under 60 from corona virus.

Of those 234 deaths from corona virus in Sweden, can you tell which ones had comorbidities (like obesity, diabetes, autoimmune disorders, etc.)? And what comorbidities these 200 plus had?

This information would be useful on who to advise that they remain self-quarantined the strictest.

Last edited:
You’ re welcome .
There wasn’t any other extra info about it that I could find…Neither in English.nor Spanish.
And neither by age group from the other countries you were interested in.
In any case, I ll keep looking it up for you and post it if I happen to find it, Cathoholic.
I am not sure if such info ( prior comorbidities)has come out in relation to any country. I don’t know…

Last edited:
An interesting article from Zero Hedge exploring the factors that distinguish Sweden from its Nordic neighbors. Definite food for thought.

closing quote here:
The single-minded story that Sweden’s high death rate, relative to the other Nordics, stems from its relatively liberal corona policy lacks nuance. There are many other differences between Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and Finland, including differences specific to the present. Compared to its neighbors, Sweden would have had a much worse death toll regardless of the policy measures it took in March 2020.
Read the entire article.

Any conjecture on herd immunity is foolhardy, scientists wont speculate, thus the need for a vaccine.
Fauci doesn’t think that’s going to be very long lasting either. Seems to me Covid is going to be endemic, and we might as well improve our treatment of the elderly but otherwise get used to it.

Fauci doesn’t think that’s going to be very long lasting either. Seems to me Covid is going to be endemic, and we might as well improve our treatment of the elderly but otherwise get used to it.
I totally agree with you Ridgerunner. There is a new and very worrying symptom and potential long term disability emerging here and in a few other countries where the virus settles in and destroys the tissue of the testes. Here the young adult generation is the group that is spreading and getting the virus at the biggest rate.
Long term potential is issues with fertility and who knows what else.

From Bloomberg News . . .
World

WHO Special Envoy Heaps Praise on Sweden’s Covid Strategy​

By Charles Daly

August 31, 2020, 2:16 AM CDT Updated on August 31, 2020,

One of the World Health Organization’s six special envoys on Covid-19 has highlighted Sweden’s virus response as a model that other countries should be emulating in the long run.

Dr. David Nabarro, speaking in a radio interview with Magic Talk in New Zealand, said, “For all countries, the real approach we’ve got to aim for is through behavior that’s adopted everywhere.”

Nabarro said the key to a sustainable coronavirus strategy is trust, and pointed to Sweden as a case in point. The Nordic nation imposed far fewer restrictions on movement than others, and instead relied on Swedes to act responsibly and embrace the guidelines laid out by the country’s health authorities. . . .

. . . To be sure, Sweden’s Covid-19 death rate is considerably higher than in many other countries, at 57 per 100,000. But the pace of new infections and deaths has slowed markedly since the end of June. The development prompted Sweden’s national health agency to propose raising the limit on certain public gatherings to 500 people from 50.

In contrast, other governments around the world are once again imposing stricter measures amid a resurgence in cases.

Nabarro described a lockdown as “a blunt instrument” that “really bites into the livelihoods of everybody, particularly poorer people and small businesses.”

In response to the envoy’s remarks, the director-general of Sweden’s public health agency, Johan Carlson, said in an interview with newspaper Svenska Dagbladet: “We are one of the few countries with a limited spread of infection, unlike several countries in Europe where the infection is returning sharply.”

“I call it the champagne cork effect,” Carlson said. . . . .
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...envoy-heaps-praise-on-sweden-s-covid-strategy

Last edited:
Thbolt . . .
So, Sweden, with a very high death rate is a model . . . .
What do you describe as a “very high death rate” Thbolt?

There are 57 deaths per 100,000 people in Sweden.

In the U.S. there are 56.

Michigan’s death rate was 67.

In New York State there are 169 deaths per 100,000 people.

New Jersey has a death rate of 179.

• U.S. COVID-19 death rate by state | Statista.

New York and New Jersey are terrible despite all the gyrations about masks, quarantining HEALTHY individuals, and social distancing for plain people (some of the leftist politicians exempted themselves at times as we have seen).

Yet it is Sweden that now has the immunity and has almost only a third of the death rate that New York state has.

And new cases are down dramatically (why do you keep forgetting to state this Thbolt?) in Sweden.

And why do you keep ignoring risk-benefit discussion? You assume death rate is the end all and be all.

But what if your unproven measures result in a death rate of their own in terms of suicide, businesses lost, lack of benefit for your measures that you want (despite no evidence), starvation at home and abroad, putting off or getting put-off for needed medical care, lack of antibody, ignoring of the LONG term theoreticals with vrs. without antibody?

Why do you keep seeing only one factor when there are many?

And WHY should I trust Thbolt
over the World Health Oganization on this issue?

Edited for syntax (a question mark).

Last edited:
Trust has a lot to do and long term sustainability, agree.
Is Sweden the model? Is there a one size fits all?
I personally believe not all is said and done yet( unfortunately for everyone)
Also and having been for 6 months under lockdown(yes…worth of Ripley’s and don’t get me started…),I have found that getting entrenched in the “yes or no “ lockdown doesn t help either.

Last edited:
Finland voted to prioritize domestic consumption (of hydroxychloroquine), Reuters reported.

Parenthetical mine for context.

By the way.

What is Finland’s death rate per 100,000 Thbolt?

I would like to know as Finland used a lot of hydroxychloroquine earlier too. Enormous amounts.

This from back in April . . .
In a rush to contribute an antimalarial med to the COVID-19 fight, drugmakers have promised millions of doses for clinical trials and hospitals. But one company, Amneal Pharmaceuticals, likely won’t hit its pledge after the government of Finland effectively turned off the tap for necessary ingredients.

Amneal is facing a shortage of active pharmaceutical ingredients for hydroxychloroquine, an antimalarial in testing to treat COVID-19, after Finland voted to prioritize domestic consumption, Reuters reported.

The Finnish government’s emergency order has curtailed exports of hydroxychloroquine API, endangering Amneal’s pledge to donate 20 million tablets of the drug by mid-April, co-CEOs Chirag and Chintu Patel told the news service.

The order does not constitute an export ban but will likely strain supplies of the drug produced by Finnish manufacturers Orion and its subsidiary Fermion.

Amneal is reportedly searching for alternative suppliers of hydroxychloroquine API and said it expects the supply concerns to last between two and three months. An Amneal spokesperson could not be reached for comment by press time.

Do you know what Finland’s death rate per 100,000 people is?

Last edited:
Thbolt . . .
Yes, the US has a very high death rate too.
What about New York which is almost three times higher?

Would you call THAT a high death rate too (because you forgot to mention that part despite me just giving us the figures)?

Last edited:
would like to know as Finland used a lot of hydroxychloroquine earlier too. Enormous amounts.
Laboratory Amneal says used for “ patients in need”. Not before nor preventive.

Last edited:
Is that 146 deaths per 100,000 graciew?

If so that is wrong math as there have only been 336 deaths TOTAL in Finland up until today.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

The total population of Finland is 5.518 million people.

So either I am reading your Spanish wrong, or your sources numbers are very far off.

Last edited:
That is about it. 336 persons. And a bit over 8,000 contagions

Last edited:
Thanks. So it was my Spanish.

That works out to be a death rate of about 6 per 100,000 people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back