Lockdowns never again: Sweden was right, and we were wrong

• Thread starter Thread starter Cathoholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes!You re quick! I am making an effort to follow you
In US you write 100,000
We use 100.000 . A dot, not a coma . As extra info for you…

Last edited:
So, if HCQ was so great for Finland, why is the death rate so high in Sweden . . .
What??

Probably the same reason that if the death rate is so high in New York, I did not say the death rate in Podunk.

Thbolt . . .
why are you pushing that Sweden has such a great model that we should
I am not pushing for Sweden as a great model. The WHO is.
I am saying (again) there is no evidence quarantining healthy people helps anything.

I am also there is no evidence mask usage on a societal level helps anything. Especially the way and the type being used.

And again the social distancing routine is not scientific in a general population either.

These are psychological items. Not public health.

What does have efficacy against corona virus is IMMUNITY.

But I notice you did not answer any of my questions that I raised.

Here are some of them . . . .
And why do you keep ignoring risk-benefit discussion? You assume death rate is the end all and be all.

But what if your unproven measures result in a death rate of their own in terms of suicide, businesses lost, lack of benefit for your measures that you want (despite no evidence), starvation at home and abroad, putting off or getting put-off for needed medical care, lack of antibody, ignoring of the LONG term theoreticals with vrs. without antibody?

Why do you keep seeing only one factor when there are many?

And WHY should I trust Thbolt
over the World Health Oganization on this issue?

Last edited:
I am saying (again) there is no evidence quarantining healthy people helps anything.
If there is a purpose it does. It also depends on the quality of the system. It also depends on the regions and their characteristics. And a plan
And I am saying this while I am holding my tongue after 6 months lockdown and extra typical messes where I live.:woman_shrugging:t3:
Lockdown has helped( does not mean falling in love with it forever 😏).
And please listen and please … take it well… What happened in US freaked us out. Stand in our shoes: the US no less had dead persons in the thousands… what were we to expect then? It was very shocking… And I appreciate you all a lot, but it was very moving. Our system couldn’t have stood…it had a purpose and it worked. Then , as usual here, it derailed …

Last edited:
Thbolt . . .
Why don’t you just answer my question?
Because as usual, they have built-in pre-suppositions that I am not going to fall for.

Last edited:
Uruguay , our neighbors,with its own characteristics did very well. Government appealed to responsibility. They quarantined themselves without it being mandatory.
Worth having a look at .
Obviously Montevideo is not New York nor Buenos Aires but nonetheless examples to raise spirits up.

Last edited:
Long term potential is issues with fertility and who knows what else.
Given that testosterone levels have dropped dramatically over the last generation, this is the very last thing this country’s fertility needed.
So, Sweden, with a very high death rate is a model. I guess that’s great as long as you live.
If Covid is to be endemic, Sweden did the right thing. All the lockdowns in the world won’t prevent its going through the population any more than one would stop the common cold.

I am not sure if such info ( prior comorbidities)has come out in relation to any country. I don’t know…
It does not. Some just want that information to justify their own narrative of “Deaths by Covid-19 alone is a low number”

An interesting article from Zero Hedge exploring the factors that distinguish Sweden from its Nordic neighbors. Definite food for thought.

closing quote here:
The single-minded story that Sweden’s high death rate, relative to the other Nordics, stems from its relatively liberal corona policy lacks nuance. There are many other differences between Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and Finland, including differences specific to the present. Compared to its neighbors, Sweden would have had a much worse death toll regardless of the policy measures it took in March 2020.
I see nothing in what you have quoted here that justifies why Sweden is being unfairly evaluated. And I will note that ZeroHedge is a far-right financial blog and not a good place to get opinion.

I read where South Korea has no law similar to our HIPAA. You can openly identify people with a disease, and they do it there. It warns people away form a positive person but also encourages that person to avoid contact with others. Here, nobody knows who is infectious. Half the population could be, but we wouldn’t know it.

Wonder what the situation is in Uruguay with regard to disclosure.

But as I have said before, if it’s endemic, and it seems suspiciously so, Uruguay’s experience of Covid will simply be slower than in some other countries, but it will still affect the same number in time.

graciew . . .
Laboratory Amneal says used for “ patients in need”. Not before nor preventive.
I never said “before” or as a “preventive”.

Nor did the article I cited.

Why did you change my premise?

Last edited:
Cathoholic . . .
graciew . . .
If there is a purpose it does. It also depends on the quality of the system.
There is no evidence of this.

Lockdown has helped
Mere conjecture.

Last edited:
Thbolt . . .
So, Sweden, with a very high death rate is a model . . . .
The more relevant comparison is between Sweden and its Nordic neighbors, like Norway. Taking population into account, Sweden has 11 times as many deaths per capital as Norway. It has 5 times as many deaths per capita as Denmark. It has 9 times as many deaths per capita as Finland.

LeafByNiggle to Zzyzx_Road . . .
I see nothing in what you have quoted here that justifies why Sweden is being unfairly evaluated. And I will note that ZeroHedge is a far-right financial blog and not a good place to get opinion.
I think you should deal with the points instead of going right to the ad homiem fallacy.

Last edited:
You’re making quite the assumption that COVID is going to be endemic.
Right now, it seems much more likely than not. If, as Fauci says, it is unlikely any vaccine will be of long term benefit, that’s the kind of disease that circulates through a population endlessly.

There is not the slightest indication that it will be “wiped out” by any measure that’s on the horizon. NZ, I believe, thought they had driven it from the land and wouldn’t let anyone in. But it popped up again…a pretty fair sign that it’s endemic in that population.

LeafByNiggle to Zzyzx_Road . . .
Nope. I am tired of reading right-wing opinion pieces, just as I’m sure you are tired of reading left-wing opinion pieces. (actually, I’m tired of both.)

Last edited:
LeafByNiggle now appealing to his feelings (“tired”) . . . .
I am tired of reading right-wing opinion pieces
Well I guess that really puts the kabosh on the ZeroHedge article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back