LOST season 6

  • Thread starter Thread starter AmberDale
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people need to be careful attributing deep theological meanings to a tv show. I think the writers tossed this together as they went along.
 
I think people need to be careful attributing deep theological meanings to a tv show. I think the writers tossed this together as they went along.
I don’t. Or rather, I think a lot of it was thrown together, but that doesn’t mean there are no embedded theological/philosophical ideas, and it seems pretty clear that *some *of it was explicitly present from the beginning.

Edwin
 
I don’t. Or rather, I think a lot of it was thrown together, but that doesn’t mean there are no embedded theological/philosophical ideas, and it seems pretty clear that *some *of it was explicitly present from the beginning.

Edwin
I think the writers had no clue where they were going, the show has changed enormously since its beginning, and that was only after huge campaigns to get the writers to give answers, rather than perpetual week-after-week questions and more and more questions.

I doubt the writers have much theology behind this.
 
I think the writers had no clue where they were going, the show has changed enormously since its beginning, and that was only after huge campaigns to get the writers to give answers, rather than perpetual week-after-week questions and more and more questions.

I doubt the writers have much theology behind this.
Sad, but true. This season, the fan ideas and theories (including the ones on this thread) have been way more interesting and coherent than the actual show. If there is a unifying theory to LOST, it is that everything is relative–including morality. People have mentioned here before that Carlton is Catholic (and thus wouldn’t insult the Church or traditional morality), but so are Nancy Pelosi and Rudy Giuliani.
 
Any theology is incidental to the story in Lost. I wouldn’t try to frame this as a Christian show, although it does have themes that resonate with Christians. However, I think the show runners do deliberately insert religious imagery when they feel it serves to accentuate the plot.
 
Sad, but true. This season, the fan ideas and theories (including the ones on this thread) have been way more interesting and coherent than the actual show. If there is a unifying theory to LOST, it is that everything is relative–including morality. People have mentioned here before that Carlton is Catholic (and thus wouldn’t insult the Church or traditional morality), but so are Nancy Pelosi and Rudy Giuliani.
I’m still holding out some hope that the finale will unexpectedly tie together many of the remaining mysteries of the show in a satisfying way. There are some large mysteries that are still unsolved. Why is Aaron important? Why was Walt so important that the Others terrorized the Losties in Season 1 just to capture him? Why was Christian’s apparitions so important and was he really the Smoke monster? What exactly was trapped in Jacob’s Cabin and why did it move? What’s up with the ash? What’s the deal with the mysterious food pallet drop in Season 2? Who built all the ruins on the Island (including the statue) and why? Why did the Others seem to have almost supernatural powers in Season 1 and 2 (remember Ethan’s strength)? What’s the deal with the failed pregnancies on the Island and why did it motivate the Others so much? Who started the chain of Island guardians and why? What is the origin of the smoke monster? Is it MIB’s disembodied soul or another entity? Why is the alternate universe important?

I don’t expect answers to every last thing (some of them we can make intelligent guesses at), but if a number of these questions are unresolved, then I’ll have to conclude that the writers largely made up the plot as they went along despite what they claim in interviews. It’s so much easier to make up intriguing mysteries then it is to cohesively answer them in a satisfying way.
 
I think we’ll learn about the ash tonight. The latest preview shows “boy” Jacob taking it from Hurley and running.
 
Not the full import of course, but there is probably some connection to the ash from Jacob’s burt body that Illana collected.

VC
That actually makes perfect sense. Because they cannot do harm to each other, the use of Jacob’s remains (or the remains of the prior guardians) would ward off any direct damage Smokey can cause. Ilana’s people in the temple were not so fortunate because he was able to indirectly kill those protecting themselves with the ashes.
 
Because they cannot do harm to each other, the use of Jacob’s remains (or the remains of the prior guardians) would ward off any direct damage Smokey can cause.
Mumbles, I think it makes sense between Jacob and Smokey, (if you hold that Smokey is MiB, which may or may not be the case) but. . .

how do you explain that rule in force between past guardians and Smokey? Unless, each Past Guardian had a corresponding Smokey?

I really hope they explain what the relationship is between guardians and smokies. As far as I can tell, baded on Crazy-Mom’s ability to slaughter a village (and barring any other superpowers on her part), either:
  1. Guardians control, or usually control Smokies, or
  2. Guardians and Smokies are two sides of the same coin.
If 2, perhaps the present case is an anomaly where two individuals are respectively the guardian and the smokey. Maybe twins were significant.

VC
 
Mumbles, I think it makes sense between Jacob and Smokey, (if you hold that Smokey is MiB, which may or may not be the case) but. . .

how do you explain that rule in force between past guardians and Smokey? Unless, each Past Guardian had a corresponding Smokey?

I really hope they explain what the relationship is between guardians and smokies. As far as I can tell, baded on Crazy-Mom’s ability to slaughter a village (and barring any other superpowers on her part), either:
  1. Guardians control, or usually control Smokies, or
  2. Guardians and Smokies are two sides of the same coin.
If 2, perhaps the present case is an anomaly where two individuals are respectively the guardian and the smokey. Maybe twins were significant.

VC
I like your #2 idea and think that that may be the case.
 
That actually makes perfect sense. Because they cannot do harm to each other, the use of Jacob’s remains (or the remains of the prior guardians) would ward off any direct damage Smokey can cause. Ilana’s people in the temple were not so fortunate because he was able to indirectly kill those protecting themselves with the ashes.
When you say “Illana’s people in the temple”, I think you are referring to how Bram got killed by Smokey’s cave-in in the statue after Jacob was murdered.

As far as the temple goes, it was surrounded by a perimeter of ash but Smokey was still able to get in. His ability to enter the temple seems to be connected somehow with Dogan’s death. Is the potency of the ash mystically connected somehow with the life of the person who uses the ash? Or did Claire or one of Locke’s goons simply brush the ash away after entering the temple?

Yet another mystery to solve. T-minus 1 episode…
 
When you say “Illana’s people in the temple”, I think you are referring to how Bram got killed by Smokey’s cave-in in the statue after Jacob was murdered.

As far as the temple goes, it was surrounded by a perimeter of ash but Smokey was still able to get in. His ability to enter the temple seems to be connected somehow with Dogan’s death. Is the potency of the ash mystically connected somehow with the life of the person who uses the ash? Or did Claire or one of Locke’s goons simply brush the ash away after entering the temple?

Yet another mystery to solve. T-minus 1 episode…
I thought that after Sayid killed Dogan he brushed the dust away where he exited, thus allowing the smoke monster/MIB to enter
 
He could have, but I don’t recall that. I remember Ben goes looking for Sayid and finds him still crouching near the pool where he killed Dogan and the Interpreter. At that point, Smokey was already in the Temple.
 
Sad, but true. This season, the fan ideas and theories (including the ones on this thread) have been way more interesting and coherent than the actual show. If there is a unifying theory to LOST, it is that everything is relative–including morality. People have mentioned here before that Carlton is Catholic (and thus wouldn’t insult the Church or traditional morality), but so are Nancy Pelosi and Rudy Giuliani.
True enough. I enjoy the show, but I do not expect to get real theology from Hollywood writers. I think it is close to impossible to expect that in today’s culture.

With that said, I think Lost leans towards a good versus evil plotline, yet I also think the writers might very well be trying to “teach” that everyone has good and evil in them, a middle of the line safe pov.
 
Well tonights episode was great! We know who takes Jacob’s spot!
How did Desmond get out of the well?
 
Ok, so Jack accepted and became “just like” Jacob, but I’ve had an ongoing thought that Desmond is the new Jacob in the ‘alternate’ universe, which I believe is simply the lives they lead after they “fix” the island, like what was attempted with the hydrogen bomb. Maybe Juliet was right all along, maybe it did work - it got them where they needed to be to change the course of their lives, and Sunday will just be the revelation of how and why.
 
I was disappointed in Widmore. I thought he would be more of a force at work on the Island, but he sure went out with a whimper. It looks like the only thing he did of any service to the Island was returning Desmond to the Island and blasting him with EM energy to awaken him in the alt-universe.

I think we’ve also seen the last of Richard. His plan came to nothing. Didn’t Ilana claim that Jacob said Richard would know what to do? In the end, Richard didn’t know anything.

And what’s up with Ben? Has he changed sides again? I’m thinking that MIB better be ready for a Linus-esque double cross.

We did get a few more answers and revelations in this episode:
  • Kate was crossed off the list of candidates because she became a mother. She was still eligible to be a candidate though if she chose it. Why “Kwon” was on the list when Sun was a mother is a bit less clear, although Kwon could refer only to Jin.
  • The Losties were specifically chosen by Jacob to go to the Island because they were lonely people with broken lives who needed the Island as much as it needed them
  • Desmond’s role is the “fail safe” to save Jacob’s plan if the candidates fail.
  • The chosen candidate becomes the Guardian by drinking water blessed by the previous candidate.
  • A Guardian’s ghost can appear on the Island until his ash is consumed in a fire.
    -Becoming the Guardian seems to confer some esoteric knowledge, because Jacob knew the long incantation by heart despite only hearing it once before thousands of years in the past. Jack seemed to change after drinking the water.
I wonder if Rose and Bernard are on the Island and flashed there along with the Losties after the Incident. Perhaps they discovered Desmond in the well before Jack or Locke could find him.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top