I
irishpatrick
Guest
I am guessing that Jack wil find a way to kill smokey, and then everything goes back to normal. I previously thought Jack would just take Jacob’s place (it was obvious for a long time to me that Jack was the new Jacob). However, smokey stated last night he wants to destroy the island, so Jack will have to find a way to destroy smokey first.I was disappointed in Widmore. I thought he would be more of a force at work on the Island, but he sure went out with a whimper. It looks like the only thing he did of any service to the Island was returning Desmond to the Island and blasting him with EM energy to awaken him in the alt-universe.
I think we’ve also seen the last of Richard. His plan came to nothing. Didn’t Ilana claim that Jacob said Richard would know what to do? In the end, Richard didn’t know anything.
And what’s up with Ben? Has he changed sides again? I’m thinking that MIB better be ready for a Linus-esque double cross.
We did get a few more answers and revelations in this episode:
I wonder if Rose and Bernard are on the Island and flashed there along with the Losties after the Incident. Perhaps they discovered Desmond in the well before Jack or Locke could find him.
- Kate was crossed off the list of candidates because she became a mother. She was still eligible to be a candidate though if she chose it. Why “Kwon” was on the list when Sun was a mother is a bit less clear, although Kwon could refer only to Jin.
- The Losties were specifically chosen by Jacob to go to the Island because they were lonely people with broken lives who needed the Island as much as it needed them
- Desmond’s role is the “fail safe” to save Jacob’s plan if the candidates fail.
- The chosen candidate becomes the Guardian by drinking water blessed by the previous candidate.
- A Guardian’s ghost can appear on the Island until his ash is consumed in a fire.
-Becoming the Guardian seems to confer some esoteric knowledge, because Jacob knew the long incantation by heart despite only hearing it once before thousands of years in the past. Jack seemed to change after drinking the water.
I believe Ben has not changed sides. I think he is playing smokey in order to be ready to help when the opportunity arises. I think he killed Whitemore out of plain old anger, and figured it helps him remain on smokey’s inside for now. I think in the end Ben will have somehow helped bring things back to normal.