A
a_priori
Guest
Ah, the art of the deal.At some point men and women come together and exchange desired goods![]()
Ah, the art of the deal.At some point men and women come together and exchange desired goods![]()
Sometimes, spouses have to restrict what the other is doing. No, Iām not talking about career aspirations and things like that. Instances that come to mind are spending on the credit card, gambling, drinking, flirting, where money is spent in general. There needs to be compromises. In other words, spouses need to keep each other on the narrow path of sobriety and propriety, otherwise the union is doomed. Seems to me that to suggest that wanting a man who wont restrict you in any way is rather idealistic.Iām just telling you what is attractive to women. We want men who are strong providers, who do things for us, and who donāt attempt to restrict us in any way. Itās just the way it is.
Itās very hard to generalise about what men want. The same basic things that women want probably. friendship, love, loyalty, fidelity, security, etc, etc. Who they choose is a very subjective thing and how a couple live is a shared concept.Just like Iām sure you could tell me what men want.
āHi, my nameās John Galtā¦āAt some point men and women come together and exchange desired goods![]()
To be honest this is not how I approach relationships. I would not dream of telling any adult what they can and canāt do, I would observe how they live their lives and decide if I want to be in a relationship with them.Sometimes, spouses have to restrict what the other is doing. No, Iām not talking about career aspirations and things like that. Instances that come to mind are spending on the credit card, gambling, drinking, flirting, where money is spent in general. There needs to be compromises. In other words, spouses need to keep each other on the narrow path of sobriety and propriety, otherwise the union is doomed. Seems to me that to suggest that wanting a man who wont restrict you in any way is rather idealistic.
I have or used to have this kind of attitude that I wouldnāt restrict. Doesnāt mean I would support every choice. For example, I would refuse to forbid flirting but I would refuse to accept it, too. But after all, a woman could pull the head of family on you and tell you to make some law. Then you probably could no longer pull off this thing that you refuse to forbid and refuse to accept. Still, I wouldnāt enforce, I guess.Sometimes, spouses have to restrict what the other is doing. No, Iām not talking about career aspirations and things like that. Instances that come to mind are spending on the credit card, gambling, drinking, flirting, where money is spent in general. There needs to be compromises. In other words, spouses need to keep each other on the narrow path of sobriety and propriety, otherwise the union is doomed. Seems to me that to suggest that wanting a man who wont restrict you in any way is rather idealistic.
He terrified both the Chief Priests and the Roman authorities, and he attracted more than 5,000 followers in the space of three years - so, um - yeah, I think He was an Alpha, all right.Yāknow, makes me wonder if Jesus was recognized as an Alpha Male?
I quite agree whatever girl. I was trying to get at that concept when I used the term ācompromiseā. I am certainly not in favour of one partner telling/demanding the other what to do and what not to do. Iād hate to have someone so reliant on me anyway! I actually like a woman who is intellectual and can think for herself.Johnāa man doesnāt have to restrict a woman to get his point across, and vice versa. I think itās called communicatingā¦and respecting each other.Restriction sounds like something a parent does to his/her child. Just sayinā.
Oh cāmon, you mean to tell me the man you marry will always be so perfect that you wont ever have to say āknock it offā? Or vice versa? Whatevergirl has put it succinctly, when she said communication is what itās all about. Hopefully, good communication will prevent most problems from developing. However, I have seen realtionships where one spouse/partner has had to pull the other into line quite smartly and they have been right to do so. A friend of mine, a lawyer, got into the habit of working back very late and virtually made his wife into a single mum. His rationale was that he was making them very secure. To a point he was right, but the price was nearly too high. She pulled him into line quick smart and made him devote more time to his family. His complete focus on work took a bit of breaking. I know another fellow who suddenly became addicted to gambling. His wife took charge and pulled him into line quick smart as well.To be honest this is not how I approach relationships. I would not dream of telling any adult what they can and canāt do, I would observe how they live their lives and decide if I want to be in a relationship with them.
I would certainly discuss how I feel about gambling, drinking, and flirting. But I would not say ādo thisā or ādonāt do thatā. If their behavior didnāt suit me, I would leave and find someone else.
In many ways itās just a difference in attitude, and if the guy wanted to stay with me he would obviously be restricted in his behavior. But I would be controlling my own behavior (i.e. staying with him or not) rather than attempting to control his.
*Great!I quite agree whatever girl. I was trying to get at that concept when I used the term ācompromiseā. I am certainly not in favour of one partner telling/demanding the other what to do and what not to do. Iād hate to have someone so reliant on me anyway! I actually like a woman who is intellectual and can think for herself.![]()
There are always going to be disagreements between any people living together, and there will be continuous give and take.Oh cāmon, you mean to tell me the man you marry will always be so perfect that you wont ever have to say āknock it offā? Or vice versa?
hereās a little hypothetical for youā¦There are always going to be disagreements between any people living together, and there will be continuous give and take.
That kind of thing is not what people talk about when they accuse others of being controlling. One example of being controlling is a man who wants to forbid his wife to go to lunch with male friends, a woman who demands that her husband never watch another R rated film. Things like that.
Being pulled out of an addiction by your spouse is not the kind of thing anyone has in mind when they talk about ācontrollingā people.
This discussion originally arose from us talking about how Muslim men control women in their society (cover them up, in some places you need a manās permission slip to go anywhere, in some places you canāt go anywhere without a man). You were saying that perhaps these men are being protective, and I said that you can tell apart a man who is protective for the womanās sake and protective for his own sake. And the latter is not appreciated by women (unless perhaps theyāve been brainwashed in Muslim culture).
I donāt know how I would feel since Iāve never been in that situation. I might either not care, or I might feel insecure. Itās really hard for me to say, since Iāve never been pregnant or married. As it stands, I am not a very possessive person. It wouldnāt bother me to share a man with another woman at the present time.hereās a little hypothetical for youā¦
You are pregnant, with, say, child number three, and your husband suddenly announces heās going out to lunch with a female friend from work. How would you feel and what would you do or say?
Oh and to keep it on topic, heās going out in short sleeves and with his top three shirt buttons undone, thus exposing his strong arms and handsome chest!![]()
Well, I put it to you that you might feel very vulnerable, insecure, even unnatractive considering your position and so a little bit upset that your husband would want to spend time with another woman. I would also put it to you that your husband would be very inconsiderate of your feelings in this situation. If you felt any of these emotions then I think you have every right to ask him not to go, firstly for your own peace of mind and secondly, to make sure he āgets itā with where you are at emotionally. I donāt think such a request/demand is unreasonable and even if it can be construed as ācontrollingā behaviour, in the circumstances the demand is warranted.I donāt know how I would feel since Iāve never been in that situation. I might either not care, or I might feel insecure. Itās really hard for me to say, since Iāve never been pregnant or married. [/qoute]
But, whatever I felt, I would not tell him not to go.
Obviously you have never really been in love. Judging from an earlier post you made, a situation like this, sharing a man I mean, should make you run for the hills.As it stands, I am not a very possessive person. It wouldnāt bother me to share a man with another woman at the present time.
See, I donāt agree with this. Personally I have many platonic male friends. No amount of lunches with them would make me want them. For that reason I donāt think that if my husband went for lunch with a female friend that it would be any different from him going for lunch with a male friend.Well, I put it to you that you might feel very vulnerable, insecure, even unnatractive considering your position and so a little bit upset that your husband would want to spend time with another woman. I would also put it to you that your husband would be very inconsiderate of your feelings in this situation. If you felt any of these emotions then I think you have every right to ask him not to go, firstly for your own peace of mind and secondly, to make sure he āgets itā with where you are at emotionally. I donāt think such a request/demand is unreasonable and even if it can be construed as ācontrollingā behaviour, in the circumstances the demand is warranted.
I have been in love many times, I have also been very heartbroken, cried for weeks after break ups and so on.Obviously you have never really been in love. Judging from an earlier post you made, a situation like this, sharing a man I mean, should make you run for the hills.
Thatās a good answer chevalier. The issue is due consideration for oneās partners emotional fellings. As you say, a lunch per se is harmless, but, in the context within which I placed it, is fraught with danger. On many levels. At its most basic, it is showing disrespect towards oneās wife/fiance/partner. And a lack of modesty.Regarding the lunches and the like, itās not the actual singular activity per se (yes, I know how the last word cluster sounds), as much as the attitude and the fact someone would want that and wouldnāt see a problem with it.
I obviously donāt mean just a lunch in my own case, but when we get to the flirtacious behaviour, the undone top buttons John metaphorically invoked, and the whole rest, then we arrive at the centre of the problem. The problem is twofold. On the one hand, some disrespect to oneās partner (I mean spouse, fiance(e) etc.) might be involved and some people also become attracted without noticing, which the spouse or even just a bystander could well notice (Iāve seen people lose it without noticing); on the other hand, lack of care about the partnerās feelings and the need to manifest independence are deeply worrying. One of the essential properties of marriage is unity. Iām not talking about invalidity here. Iām talking about the fact itās supposed to unite people, not for them to manifest independence and make sure their decisions are sufficiently free from consideration of the other partner (as if itās bad to tone it down a bit to avoid testing the wifeās trust, not forgetting the sensitivity to assess the particular situation in which sheās pregnant and stuck home).
I mean, if it causes problems for the partner and justifiable ones. If itās really someone just freaking out, then Iām not sure that requests based on it should be heeded, such as e.g. a woman telling her husband not ever to talk to a woman for more than 10 minutes, even with witnesses, a man telling his wife to unfriend all unrelated males on Facebook and discontinue contact in real life etc. Obviously, expecting that there wonāt be socialising with exes or former love interests or former admirers in date-like situations isnāt controlling or unreasonable (while forbidding it outright could perhaps also be harmful for a variety of reasons, resentment included).Thatās a good answer chevalier. The issue is due consideration for oneās partners emotional fellings. As you say, a lunch per se is harmless, but, in the context within which I placed it, is fraught with danger. On many levels. At its most basic, it is showing disrespect towards oneās wife/fiance/partner. And a lack of modesty.
For me this kind of a request would be a deal breaker. I have very close, but entirely platonic friendships with āexesā. I would not be with someone who demanded I throw away good friends.Obviously, expecting that there wonāt be socialising with exes or former love interests or former admirers in date-like situations isnāt controlling or unreasonable (while forbidding it outright could perhaps also be harmful for a variety of reasons, resentment included).