I have not read all the posts, but I must add this:
Going to college was one of the best things I as a female could have done out of high school.
- It is in college that I discovered Catholicism and converted.
- It is in college that I met the man who would become my husband and the father of my 3 wonderful children.
- It is in college that I met the couple who became the Godparents to my oldest son.
- It is in college that I met the women who would become my very best friends, the Godmothers of my children, and the ones who are there for me to lean on and offer their shoulders to cry on when I needed it.
- It is in college that I first met the man who would be priest at the parish I have now attended for over 20 years.
- It is in college where I earned a degree that allowed me to work in the medical field for 6 years until I had my first child almost 20 years ago.
- It was because of my college degree that I was able to obtain my teaching job to help support my family and work around my kidsâ schedules when my husband became sick and could not work to his full potential. (He had disability insurance, but he was not âsick enoughâ to collect; yet he was too sick to work full time.)
Fortunately, DH had quite a nice life insurance policy. Unfortunately, DH left a lot of bills that had to be paid out of the life insurance. Fortunately, I have a degree and a job because of the degree that I can still keep my teaching job and send 2 of kids to college and 1 to a Catholic high school. AND I get my summers off to spend all day on CAF, paint my house, sleep in til 10 am, or whatever else I choose to do.
All I know is that without me going to college, my life would be drastically different, and probably not for the better. I would probably be stuck in the very small town I was born in, married to another who never went to college (very few of my classmates attended college), and living well under my potential.
I am insisting my boys attend college. They are smart, they are well-grounded, and they have much better chances of getting a job in their chosen career field with a degree (in fact, a degree is required for what my boys want to do). If I daughters instead of sons, I would insist the same - a college education. One will graduate with no debt, and one may have some debt, but I have every reason to believe he will have it paid off within a very short time.
There are no guarantees in life - no guarantee of a husband, no guarantee of a long life if one does get married, and no guarantee something bad will not happen.