Netherlands set to approve euthanasia for children 1-12

• Thread starter Thread starter RhodesianSon
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a scifi book/movie, “The Day the Earth Stood Still” in which something like that happens. The story ends with technology that requires electricity no longer working.

When I saw it, I thought about the people stuck in elevators, people that may have been undergoing medical procedures, or people that live far away from their food and water supplies. I’m sure there was a great decline in the human population from those supply chains being disrupted.
If it happened today, millions that are being kept alive only by the need for Electricity would die within hours if not minutes.

Sorry to answer your question with another one - I know that it is not preferred, but I need to find out if you even accept the concept of mercy killing, under some circumstances, or do you consider it a “murder” under any and all circumstances? This is not an evasion; I need to know this to give a meaningful answer to your question.
I would put it into the context of an all out EMP war which knocks us back to the dark ages. Then without the Medical means provided by Electricity, is a Mercy Killing still consider Murder?

I would put it into the context of an all out EMP war which knocks us back to the dark ages. Then without the Medical means provided by Electricity, is a Mercy Killing still consider Murder?
Why don’t you come clean? Do you accept or deny that there can be circumstances when mercy killing is justified?

Why don’t you come clean? Do you accept or deny that there can be circumstances when mercy killing is justified?
I accept there can be circumstances and each one will be unique in it’s own circumstance.

My Great Uncle told me of the Mercy Killings he performed on the battlefield during WWI. He did not go into details, but he said that it was necessary to prevent unwanted suffering. He was an Officer and his unit had lost it’s medic. A personal and extreme judgement call.

I accept there can be circumstances and each one will be unique in it’s own circumstance.

My Great Uncle told me of the Mercy Killings he performed on the battlefield during WWI. He did not go into details, but he said that it was necessary to prevent unwanted suffering. He was an Officer and his unit had lost it’s medic. A personal and extreme judgement call.
Exactly. But you are “Sprinter” and not “Runner”. 😉

It doesn’t matter what I “think”. “Mercy killing” is against the teachings of the Catholic Church.

That could be tricky.

In the case of the probe I was thinking about they put it in hibernation and were going to try again. It was going to take 2 years for the probe and the planet to be positioned so that it would have a chance to make it.

In the case of a flight to Mars, some of the energy for the return home could have been planned to come from the planet in the form of a gravity maneuver, taking advantage of the Oberth effect. If they missed the planet, then they’ve also lost energy potential for the return home.

That’s scary.

Not any bigger of a risk than a sailor in the 17th century getting blown off course and running out of food and fresh water.

Suicide and euthanasia are mortal sins regardless of the situation concocted to try and justify it.

I just don’t believe our loving God would want us to suffer unnecessarily. And don’t give me Jesus suffering on the cross excuse.

Last edited:
https://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a5.htm

2277 Whatever its motives and means, direct euthanasia consists in putting an end to the lives of handicapped, sick, or dying persons. It is morally unacceptable

Suicide

Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

Last edited:
You’re free to support euthanasia/abortion/etc. just know it’s in direct contradiction to church teaching and you should refrain from the Eucharist for as long as you hold these beliefs.

The fifth commandment does not fly in the face of reality.

Take for example the mass suicide where Josephus was the sole survivor and was awarded the Roman name Flavius for his turncoat information.

I have cited the catechism. You’re free to disagree, just know God and His church say your opinion is wrong.

**[2282] If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

Last edited:
I just don’t believe our loving God would want us to suffer unnecessarily.
Oh, you don’t believe… on what authority do you base this belief? And don’t give me that this would go against God’s being a loving person excuse.

40.png
RhodesianSon:
“ On Tuesday, Health Minister Hugo de Jonge said the rule change would prevent some children from “suffering hopelessly and unbearably”.
As well as save money on healthcare.
Well, that depends on how much of a ‘saving’ gained on the 5-10 patients who would this as an option.

The Netherlands spent approx 90 billion euro on healthcare last year, the cost of ongoing care for those 5-10 children is essentially a tiny drop in the ocean. Not even worth the effort really

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back