C
Cerne
Guest
You may not see each other as sex objects but something is definitely lost from the marriage. I can only reiterate "When the idea that ‘I may become a father’/‘I may become a mother’ is totally rejected in the mind and will of husband and wife nothing is left of the marital relationship, objectively speaking, except mere sexual enjoyment. One person becomes an object of use for another person, which is incompatibile with the personalistic norm." Catholic teaching tries to impart into man what I can only describe as the ultimate sensitivity. To raise man to the level the creator has in mind for us.I don’t agree with this notion at all, no offense. We all have to abstain in our marriages at times… whether it is because of using NFP, or because a spouse is ill, or our of town, or tired, etc etc… the list goes on.
Of course I know that if something happened to me, my husband would be there no matter what. I know that regardless of whether we ever end up having to abstain for a long period of time or not. And I know that we don’t see each other as “sex objects” just because we are married and have sex.
Its ok if we disagree on the semantics but anything which increases the love of spouses I feel is a blessing.Like I said, I see abstinence in marriage as being something that may be necessary sometimes, but I definitely wouldn’t call it a blessing.
I agree with you completely, and it must continue in marriage.And also, as for this:
“the love of man and woman loses nothing as a result of temporary abstention from erotic experiences, but on the contrary gains: the personal union takes deeper root, grounded as it is above all in affirmation of the value of the person and not just in sexual attachment.”
…A lot of good Catholic couples date for years before they get married, and abstain completely during that time. This “deeper root” and “affirmation of the value of the person and not just in sexual attachment” …is something that should already be established, before you even marry the person.