I’m certainly not going to argue that education shouldn’t be made much more affordable, nor would I contend that the textbook publishers and college bookstores are extortionists. But there’s a reason why they can get away with being extortionists (and being rabid capitalists in general

). They know, and prospective students know, what the data indicates. People with with college education make on average substantially more money than those who don’t. There are exceptions, no doubt, and many of them. But averages are averages. And if the willingness to educate oneself were particularly common, then most middle class parents wouldn’t be badgering their kids into going to college, knowing that if they didn’tg go to college, they’d probably fritter away their time playing videogames and whatnot.
In the sciences at least, access to the best equipment, labs, etc., as well as access to the professors who are experts in their fields, are what one pays for. And learning languages is a good analogy. One can’t learsn so many things from Rosetta stone. Idioms, dialects, specialized languages, and in general, the way the language is spoken in practice, not just in theory. And there are other perks as well. At my university as part of a German class I got a month-long trip to Munich largely paid for by a foundation for German studies foundation. That sort of immersion opportunity and experience would be much more expensive without the network of foundations, donors, (and access to government subsidies) and would be much less educational without a professor for a leader, who happened to be a native German who was raised in Munich and knows all there is to know about the city.
Again, I find it ironic that I am saying this, myself being something of a bibliophile, but one can’t learn everything from books.