On the Tiber's shore

Status
Not open for further replies.
@HopkinsReb

Makes sense theyd be mad. From what I gather, the best Anglo Catholics followed him to Rome. Like almost the more Anglo Catholic a CofE is; the more likely he’ll go to Rome.

If it’s not too personal, Reb:

What was the biggest influence on your decision to come home?

Makes sense theyd be mad. From what I gather, the best Anglo Catholics followed him to Rome.
Not really. Keble and Pusey were terrific.
Like almost the more Anglo Catholic a CofE is; the more likely he’ll go to Rome.
Not surprising that the more Catholic an Anglican is, the more likely he’ll become Catholic.
What was the biggest influence on your decision to come home?
Where to start?
In no particular order:
  • Implications of the stronger view of the Communion of Saints on ecclesiology
  • More biblical soteriology
  • Need for an authority over the Church
  • Robust Sacramentality
God gets to some folks through the heart. To me, it’s through the head. I’m an intellectual type and I find the Catholic positions more intellectually consistent.

@HopkinsReb

Same here on the consistency issue. 2,000 years and the Church stayed on message.

One of the biggest draws of Catholicism to me was the robust spirituality as I’m a heart spirituality guy myself. The Rosary was key.

For me, the ding moment was when I was reading Rome Sweet Home; Dr Hahn stated that Luther altered Romans to say faith alone. That clinched it for me as everything else already made sense by that point.

That and the unity thing. 2,000 years and the Church is still unified with one message to the world.

Last edited:
Not really. Keble and Pusey were terrific.
Yep.
Not surprising that the more Catholic an Anglican is, the more likely he’ll become Catholic.
Or, as I would say, become Roman Catholic.

But that’s just me. And as a sample of two, my family relations who jumped from the Episcopal Church to the RCC were not Anglo-Catholics in any noticeable sense. They were Christians, though and that was enough.

Last edited:
Agreed. The thought of going to classes for 8 months to “re-learn” a lot of what I already know is a big stepping stone for me.

Last edited:
The thought of going to classes for 8 months to “re-learn” a lot of what I already know is a big stepping stone for me.
As a cradle Catholic and a sometimes RCIA teacher, I would offer this thought: From my experience, much of the teaching in class is done by people like you - those who are steeped in Christianity and have done a lot of research on Catholicism.

Perhaps God is placing you in those classes to help lead the other to the Truth.

And for all those dealing with tough issues in this thread…many prayers.

Last edited:
I’ve heard that in certain situations, you can get a waiver of sorts for RCIA. You still take some classes, but it’s with the priest or elder on a one on one basis. But it’s not 8 months long like traditional RCIA.

Yeah, the real long and short of it is most parishes don’t have the resources to separate already-Christian converts from the unbaptized.
One of these days, when more qualified resources come home, im sure you will see this turn around.

Peace!!!

One of these days, when more qualified resources come home, im sure you will see this turn around
So its not a matter of parish resources, as much as splitting them into a group of candidates and catechumens just doesn’t work from an instructional standpoint.
As a cradle Catholic and a sometimes RCIA teacher, I would offer this thought: From my experience, much of the teaching in class is done by people like you - those who are steeped in Christianity and have done a lot of research on Catholicism.
I just have to accept that maybe he actually does know best and it is more than just following a routine because it is the routine.
I’ve heard that in certain situations, you can get a waiver of sorts for RCIA.
From what I saw in my former parish, there are many advantages to combining the groups, not least of which is to be a visible sign of catholic unity.

It is a place where they will experience how people from vastly different backgrounds and levels of religious experience are called to one faith.

They will support one another through their strengths and weaknesses and perhaps develop life long friendships.

@OddBird, @MiserereMei, @edward_george1

Today, things went from bad to worse.

My Mom wants to have a portion of my ex wife’s ashes in her home, I live with her and my kids; and I talked to Deacon about it. Deacon told me that it’s unlawful for me to allow this.

So, I put my foot down with my Mom tonight at her church in front of her pastor, and my oldest son. She told me that it’s not up to me; it’s for the kids. I told her that they’re MY kids and I’M their authority figure. She got sullen and quietly said that we’ll talk later.

This was after I argued with her pastor over the Church’s position on cremation and our Scripture basis for it. He argued that the body decays anyway and I told him: “ You believe what you believe, pastor “ He’s ELCA.

Then I prayed the 6 pm Angelus in her church’s sanctuary as the worship music team was practicing. Loud enough that they could hear it if they were paying any attention to me. Then I went to work after telling my Mom that I love her. She said it back.

We’re probably going to have THE talk after I get home this morning. What I’m going to have to do, I believe; is stand my ground and assert my full and absolute authority and that only God and His Church are above me. Everybody else; I take under advisement. I can’t take this bullying anymore. If they can’t respect my fatherly authority; I will be leaving, with my kids; going to a motel and asking my parish if someone can watch my kids for me while I’m at work.

I’ve taken this for almost a year. I’m done.

Last edited:
@OddBird, @MiserereMei and @edward_george1

The basic problem is this:

For a year, my mother has been pushing her Lutheran faith on my boys and intimidating me into accepting it. Sunday school and now Wednesday night Bible study. They’re being taught Lutheran Catechism and now my family wants to have that darned “ Just Christian “, no church teaching on either side, Bible study in front of my kids; as we interpret as laypeople on our own. So they can hear out both sides.

My oldest wants to be Lutheran and my youngest wants to be Catholic and they’re both above the age of reason; so I can’t make them be Catholic. I accept that and I’ll allow them the choice. My youngest wants to go to Mass with me and wants to pray the Rosary with me. My oldest told me today that my fiancé and I should be Lutherans. I told him no.

But, my mother’s pushing me to let them both go to her Sunday school and Wednesday night service. So, she’s telling me, in her actions; to put up and shut up while denying my younger son his choice. That’s telling them they’ll be Lutherans.

I MUST put my foot down and assert my authority.

Last edited:
@Wannano:

I inherited full custody of my sons as I was still a committed part of their lives. As my lawyer had said: There was nothing no one could do to stop me from getting my kids after my ex’s passing.

@Wannano:

I inherited full custody of my sons as I was still a committed part of their lives. As my lawyer had said: There was nothing no one could do to stop me from getting my kids after my ex’s passing.
That is a very important thing for all of us to know if you are looking for help from us on a public forum. I am very happy for you that you have full custody.

Last edited:
I’m sorry you’re going through this. It would be one thing if it was your ex-wife’s family putting the pressure on. That would be hard to navigate. But the fact it’s coming from your family makes it challenging as well.

You don’t want to upset your family, but they should also respect that YOU are the parent, and you will make the choices that you believe are best for YOUR family.

I’d also expect the type of pushback you’re receiving if your family was Evangelical (Baptist comes to mind), but the fact that they are Lutheran and still pushing back is surprising. Lutherans and Catholics certainly have their differences, but we have more in common than say Catholics and Baptists.

Lastly, I don’t blame you for wanting to keep your children away from the ELCA. I know the RCC sees non-Catholics as heretics, but they definitely have reached the heretic status from any other Bible-believing Church.

You have my prayers.

@TNMan and @Wannano:

Please guys, let’s not go down this road. I’ve already done enough damage to this beautiful thread.

Just to note, given your name, that Hopkins also was ostracized from his family for his conversion (heavily under the influence of Newman) and wrote one of his wonderful poems about that pain.

I could be interested in that, if I would ever decide.

Do you know how long that may take? Do you still need to be received on Easter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back