On the Tiber's shore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly…but TBH, I still struggle with the thought of going to classes for 4-5 times a month for 8 months.

Do you still need to be received on Easter?
I don’t think so.

When one of my friends, a former Protestant, already well-catechized, was received into the Church, it was not only not on Easter, but not on a Sunday either, just at a quiet weekday mass.

My oldest wants to be Lutheran and my youngest wants to be Catholic and they’re both above the age of reason; so I can’t make them be Catholic. I accept that and I’ll allow them the choice.
I disagree with this. You can certainly control which Church they attend and which one they do not attend., You can control where they receive their religious formation. Yes, eventually they have to agree to be baptized and confirmed as Catholics, but that does not mean you lose control of their religious upbringing.

I dont think so. I wasn’t received on Easter.

Are you already validly baptized?

I think the length of the one on one RCIA is left to priest’s discretion. Key factor being his assessment of how far along you are.

Donald_S I too am from West Virginia and I was wondering where you are from. I live in Weirton. If I could be of some help just let me know.

Donald_S I too am from West Virginia and I was wondering where you are from. I live in Weirton. If I could be of some help just let me know.
I live in Weirton, grew up in Wellsburg. I’m doing my RCIA at St Joseph Cathedral in Wheeling but I’ll likely transfer parishes to St Joseph the Worker or St Peter in Steubenville. Not sure yet. I do eventually plan to go to daily mass at Franciscan because they offer it at 6:30 am, which is the only one that would finish before I go to work.

I can vouch for TARRAT, he is one great guy. (And he didn’t have to pay me to say that either). 😉

Last edited:
Finally making headway. I now have the documents from my parish of record (they also sent them to the secretary at the parish I’ve been attending). I just need to round up a marriage certificate (I think I have an extra in our documents box, so long as they don’t expire) and take that over and speak with Father to get the process of radical sanation started.

Hopefully, everything will go smoothly and I can be fully reconciled with the Church by All Saints’ Day.

In other news, I may be used as a Lector at Mass sometime going forward.

Are you already validly baptized?
Yes, married in the church 16 years ago. From the time I was born until probably age 18 you could count the number of times I missed Sunday school and church per year on one hand.
I think the length of the one on one RCIA is left to priest’s discretion. Key factor being his assessment of how far along you are.
Interesting, something to ponder. IMHO, I don’t think he holds “us” in the best light and really wants people to bring in at Easter. I could be wrong though. From my experience the parish rarely has anyone in RCIA…

Donald_S
Just wondering, why drive all the way to Wheeling? Is your sponsor from there? We haven’t yet started our RCIA (I think it starts next week). It would be closer and our Instructor is a convert he may have some insight. If I can be of any assistance send me a note.
TARRAT

Donald_S
Just wondering, why drive all the way to Wheeling? Is your sponsor from there? We haven’t yet started our RCIA (I think it starts next week). It would be closer and our Instructor is a convert he may have some insight. If I can be of any assistance send me a note.
TARRAT
I do not currently have a sponsor. The RCIA classes that I’ve seen in the area are either one-on-one, which I’ve done twice before. They always ended being more about my personal struggles and I never ended up learning much about the church itself. I’d rather do a class format. The parishes that offer classes were all in the evenings during the week. Both my wife and I work 40+ hours a week (we both work from home) during the week and we’re in a bowling league. We have 4 kids who are involved in dance and karate various week day nights.

I would have sacrificed to go to RCIA one night during the week if I had to. But the Cathedral of St Joseph has their RCIA class on Sundays at 9:15 so I can attend RCIA and to Mass immediately after. It’s a great fit for my busy life

We haven’t yet started our RCIA (I think it starts next week). It would be closer and our Instructor is a convert he may have some insight.
Out of curiosity, what parish do you currently attend and when is the class?

I belong to St. Joseph the Worker and our RCIA starts September 23 it goes from 6:00p.m. til 7:30 and is actually held in Sacred Heart of Mary in their library. St. Joe and SHM are sister parishes and have the same pastor.

I belong to St. Joseph the Worker and our RCIA starts September 23 it goes from 6:00p.m. til 7:30 and is actually held in Sacred Heart of Mary in their library. St. Joe and SHM are sister parishes and have the same pastor.
Yeah, we have Karate Monday nights so I wouldn’t be able to go to that one.

Lutherans don’t have confirmation anyway because they don’t have valid bishops or priests as per Apostolicae Curae by Pope Leo XIII. (Yes, it speaks of Anglicans but the same principle also applies to other Protestant denominations.)

I forgot to mention, both of my RCIA attempts were with Father Dean when he was at St Joe’s. He was a great priest but the one on one RCIA, through no fault of his own, often changed from teaching to more of an individual counseling session. He was great but I couldn’t see past my own sin and shame to focus on the material. Both times I ran away. Since this RCIA is more class-style, it allows me to focus on the theology and teachings, but deal my personal struggles in another way. So if I fail personally to sin, for some reason now it makes me want to go to RCIA and Mass more.

I have no idea why this works for me. It honestly doesn’t make much sense to me, since individual counseling generally helps most people. For me, individual counseling seems to make me look too much at myself, and I beat myself pretty badly. I think my best spiritual medicine generally lies in doing Godly activities that force me to not think about myself but God and others.

Focus on our Lord. Not on your sin until you do confession. I don’t mean it’s okay to sin, but to learn about the Catholic Faith as much as you can. Reducing or stopping your sin will come with time.

40.png
TARRAT:
I forgot to mention, both of my RCIA attempts were with Father Dean when he was at St Joe’s. He was a great priest but the one on one RCIA, through no fault of his own, often changed from teaching to more of an individual counseling session. He was great but I couldn’t see past my own sin and shame to focus on the material. Both times I ran away. Since this RCIA is more class-style, it allows me to focus on the theology and teachings, but deal my personal struggles in another way. So if I fail personally to sin, for some reason now it makes me want to go to RCIA and Mass more.

I have no idea why this works for me. It honestly doesn’t make much sense to me, since individual counseling generally helps most people. For me, individual counseling seems to make me look too much at myself, and I beat myself pretty badly. I think my best spiritual medicine generally lies in doing Godly activities that force me to not think about myself but God and others.
@Donald_S

Best wishes to you this time, Donald! My prayers will include your successful completion of RCIA. Welcome to the Tiber Swim Team!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back