On the Tiber's shore

Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
mrsdizzyd:
40.png
TNMan:
I’ll still talk to the priest.
If you were both baptized as infants, you should definitely address this with your priest. I’m sure it will all work out fine.
Well, depends if it was Catholic or not. Catholics aren’t the only ones who do infant baptism.

But it can’t hurt to ask.
I assumed he meant Catholic since the post he responded to referenced Catholic baptism. Perhaps I assumed incorrectly?

From what I have heard, Protestant marriages are valid, however, it needs a Catholic blessing, or convalidation. Not a hard thing to get accomplished, nevertheless, still a thing.

Any canon lawyers in here to confirm or deny?

First marriage for both of us and both were baptized as infants. Based on what I’ve been able to read, I think we’re good. I’ll still talk to the priest.
As long as you were both baptized Christians in a non-Catholic Christian church and there were no impediments such as a previous marriage, your marriage is valid and sacramental.

From what I have heard, Protestant marriages are valid, however, it needs a Catholic blessing, or convalidation. Not a hard thing to get accomplished, nevertheless, still a thing.

Any canon lawyers in here to confirm or deny?
Not a canon lawyer, but I’m led to believe that the marriage of two Protestants who were not baptized Catholic is presumed valid, full-stop. If they weren’t both baptized or one or both were baptized Catholic and married outside the Church without dispensation, it may require further steps.

Excellent. Glad I was wrong lol. Makes things less complicated for them…

^^This.

If both were baptized and free to marry, it’s even a sacrament.

So this is going to be challenging but ultimately somewhat beneficial I think. Gives you a opportunity to become a fine tuned Catholic apologist – because satisfying family/spouse with answers to objections can be difficult to do. I’ve noticed that once you start rattling off solid answers, they tend soften up some.

Just takes patience and some TLC.

I appreciate it. I’ve mentioned (here or in the other thread) that a light went off for me that Sola Scriptura just isn’t a thing. I mentioned this to her and she at first thought I was doubting that the Bible is true. I said, absolutely not, the Bible is the Sacred Word of God. It just nowhere in here says “this is all you need.”

I also told her Jesus didn’t say “upon this rock I give you this book,” he said “upon this rock I build MY CHURCH.” The Church came first. I think she softened on that, but that’s it.

She thinks Catholics rate sins and say that don’t think venial sins matter. She thinks Catholics believe we can work our way into heaven (it’s the Catholic Church that called Pelagianism a heresy).

I could go on, but I won’t. I love my wife dearly. I know I can’t force her to come with me. I just need to pray for my patience and for her’s.

Yeah, she sounds like a great Christian woman. And I’ve seen some Catholics chain smoke and speak like sailors so I can’t do much to dispel the chronic venial sin thing lol. all I can say is we aren’t all like that.

And that’s sorta the painful thing here – a dear family member asked me how I could LEAVE Christianity when I know the Word. I couldn’t believe my ears – I’m joining the Church that gave you the Word and you accuse me of leaving the faith and going full out apostate ! But I know he meant well and is just a bit misguided.

And it’s really a slippery slope, TNman. How do you we emphasize the necessity of the united Church without giving the appearance of de-emphasizing Sacred Scripture? Because we converts love the Word just as much as we did as protestants. In fact, we find the Mass saturated in it. So i have walked around in circles semi debating sola scriptura with family members. But that seems to go nowhere – so I basically now emphasize my personal need for tradition and the ECF’s opinions on matters of interpretation. I try to cordially tell people that not everything is as cut and dry as they think. And if you point a few examples of that, then it opens the door for further dialog.

@HopkinsReb, out of curiosity, are you at all considering joining the Anglican Ordinariate?

The Green Scapular was given by Our Lady to a Sister of Charity. Innumerable conversions and healings are recorded. It has to be blessed by a priest (a simple blessing suffices). If the person won’t wear it, you can put it in the bedroom, under a pillow, in the kitchen etc.

The person wearing or giving the Green Scapular should pray the Scapular prayer: “Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death.”

Ideally, I would, but the one near me only has one Mass and it doesn’t work logistically. So I’ll probably affiliate with it but attend a normal parish.

When I read your post, I see myself with my husband.

The Sola Scriptura went off for me a long time ago (I was a teaching assistant for New Testament at university then, and I still recall that moment when I realized there wouldn’t be a New Testament were it not for tradition), and recently, discussing salvation with someone, I realized I had lost the Sola Fide somewhere on the way too.

That’s hard for him to understand, as it is hard for him to understand my need for apostolic succession and magisterium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back