Presidential Debate: President Donald Trump vs. Joe Biden - Thursday October 22 at 9PM EST

• Thread starter Thread starter 1cthlctrth
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think it matters. I have a bold prediction to make: Trump supporters will think their man won the debate, Biden supporters will think their man won the debate 🤣
I’ve thought “debate” is a bad label. Q&A might be better. When I think of a “debate” there is usually some body of judges and some scoring criteria. None of that is present here.

Someone asks a question, some responses (which may not be actual answers) are given, they fuss over each other, and move on.

This is why we needed Joe Rogan to be debate moderator for 4 hours. That one would had been a lot better.

Trump told some of the same lies from the last debate which were fact check to be verified to be lies.
Kristen Welker ran a tight ship. She controlled things quite well compared to the first debate and the VP debate.

Last edited:
Trump told some of the same lies from the last debate which were fact check to be verified to be lies.
Kristen Welker ran a tight ship. She controlled things quite well compared to the first debate and the VP debate.
Perhaps providing some examples of those lies that were verified to be lies might lend your point some much needed credibility?

It is a rather corny gesture that may have been effective a few decades ago but not today. I’m sure Biden was told to do this.

I thought Trump did well, but also think he missed some good opportunities to nail Biden to the wall.

For instance…
Race relations came up, and Trump missed the opportunity to feed back Biden’s line about not being black if you don’t vote for him.

[From The New York Times]

The president appeared determined to reinvent the reality of the last four years — and the history of the pandemic in 2020 — as he faces judgment on his actions in just 12 days. He once again falsely dismissed the Russia investigations as a “phony witch hunt.” He insisted that aside from Abraham Lincoln, “nobody has done more for the Black community,” an assertion that people in both parties find laughable. And he tried again to wish away the pandemic, saying “we are rounding the turn” even as daily cases of the virus this week topped 70,000 in the United States for the first time since July.

Last edited:
I think a different, fresher candidate (even Trump) could be effective with it, because it would be unique again, but it has become a cliche with Biden as we have seen him in so many debates. I think it is less that it isn’t effective, but that Joe seems to rely on it the way 80s Hair Metal bands relied on power ballads when they needed a hit.

Biden is a gas lighter and is projecting and deflecting.
The difference in styles between the two candidates is due to the fact that the Democrats are the party of special interests while the Republicans, for the most part, stand on principles.

Catering to different special interest groups means that Biden often has to say one thing to one group while saying quite the opposite to another. That is why he has to deflect on or minimize many answers when both parties are in the audience. He comes off as non-committal quite often, which is not helped by his “You’ll have to wait until after the election to find out what I will do.”

The fracking claim is one example where Joe had to backtrack or, at least, diminish what he did say to the point that both special interests won’t be very pleased with him.

Aside from getting Obama angry by throwing him under the bus with his “I wasn’t the President” response, the fracking denial/claim will continue to turn off several interest groups.

Last edited:
40.png
HarryStotle:
Perhaps providing some examples of those lies that were verified to be lies might lend your point some much needed credibility?
Just read the previous debate threads. It is all there.
You deflect about as well as Joe Biden. Not even one actual glaring lie that you want to cite?

No special interests in the Republican party, such as oil companies?

“They want to take buildings down because they want to make bigger windows into smaller windows. As far as they are concerned, if you had no window, it would be a lovely thing.”

— Mr. Trump

False.​

This is one of the more unusual attacks that Mr. Trump has made about his opponent’s climate change plan, and few energy experts seem to know what to make of it. Mr. Trump made a similar accusation to Fox News host Sean Hannity earlier this month saying, “I mean, they literally want to take buildings down and rebuild them with tiny little windows, O. K.? Little windows so you can’t see out, you can’t see the light.”

The Green New Deal, a framework for eliminating emissions that is different from Mr. Biden’s climate change plan, does include a goal to “upgrade all existing buildings in the United States … to achieve maximum energy efficiency” within ten years. However, low-energy buildings can have windows of any size.

Let’s give credit where it is due.

Who exactly wrote what you just posted?
A newspaper that pooled all of the resources of the AP to do live fact checking as the debate was happening.

No special interests in the Republican party, such as oil companies?
The country needs energy. That is the reality. Renewables will never amount to more than 10-15% of the total required. Trump was quite clear that his priorities are clean air and clean water. The fact that C02 emissions have been lowered by the US more than any other country means actions speak louder than signed accords. He doesn’t need to write promissory notes to different interest groups, he just has to face and deal with the reality of the situation he faces.

Most reasonable people see that approach as more honest than hyping an alarmist drama then making impossible promises that won’t be kept.

At one time, promises by politicians were overlooked and excused. I think Trump is changing that low-balled expectation.

Yes, and the computer will never replace the typewriter. Change marches on whether we like it or not, and, believe me, I often do not like it. Further, Trump SAYS a lot of things; but I seriously doubt his priorities are clean air and clean water, considering his evisceration of the EPA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back