M
myfavoritmartin
Guest
Wrong, damascus did not use the mother churches interpretation for these scriptures.Back to the topic at hand, I think Damascus explains it better than I can:
Wrong, damascus did not use the mother churches interpretation for these scriptures.Back to the topic at hand, I think Damascus explains it better than I can:
Right on my bible believing brother…You get 2:thumbsup:Thank you for posting that. I’d like to post what I believe now.
This is talking about the judgement of seat of Christ, where saved believers go to receive rewards for their faithful service or loss for their selfishness. However, they will still be saved. The fire is symbolic of God’s judgement, of His holiness. It’s not a fire one goes into; it is the holiness of God trying each man’s work. If your belief is true, then one’s works would have to go to purgatory but not the person himself.
I hope that even though we disagree we can have a respectful discussion.![]()
Yes. I am required to defend the faith against all enemies foreign and domestic…oh wait…I don’t protest so much as I fight for the truth. It is the Catholic church who protested the reformation because they didn’t want to be held accountable and brought back to the basics.
Do you believe this denial of purgatory is somehow a return “to the basics”? If so, you are wrong. Denial of purgatory is a radical break with what the Church and Sacred Scripture has always taught regarding the necessary purification of the sinner before entering into the holy presence of Almighty God: “[A] woman is more bound when her husband is dead…Indeed, she prays for his soul, and requests refreshment for him meanwhile, and fellowship (with him) in the first resurrection; and she offers (her sacrifice) on the anniversary of his falling asleep.” — Tertullian*, On Monogamy, 10 (A.D. 216).*Did God reveal purgatory? My belief is no, He did not.
"For if on the foundation of Christ you have built not only gold and silver and precious stones (1 Cor.,3); but also wood and hay and stubble, **what do you expect when the soul shall be separated from the body**? **Would you enter into heaven with your wood and hay and stubble and thus defile the kingdom of God**; or on account of these hindrances would you remain without and receive no reward for your gold and silver and precious stones; neither is this just. **It remains then that you be committed to the fire which will burn the light materials; for our God to those who can comprehend heavenly things is called a cleansing fire**. But this fire consumes not the creature, but what the creature has himself built, wood, and hay and stubble. **It is manifest that the fire destroys the wood of our transgressions and then returns to us the reward of our great works.**" — Origen*, Homilies on Jeremias, PG 13:445, 448 ( **A.D. 244**).
"**Let us pray for our brethren that are at rest in Christ, that God, the lover of mankind, who has received his soul, may forgive him every sin**, voluntary and involuntary, and may be merciful and gracious to him, and give him his lot in the land of the pious that are sent into the bosom of Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, with all those that have pleased Him and done His will from the beginning of the world, whence all sorrow, grief, and lamentation are banished." *— Apostolic Constitutions, 8:4,41 (**3rd Century**).
In all due respect to our Catholic friends whom allow us to be here, it is a term they hold dear…I have a problem with the term “the mother church”. The Church is the Bride of Christ of which we are all members. There is no such thing as the mother church so why do people use that term? And this presupposes that the “mother church” has it right when it comes to purgatory.![]()
Does the Blood of Jesus Christ cleanse from all sin or not? The blood of Jesus clensed us from origional sin and allows us to enter heaven at some point if we continue in Him. But, it is also said that faith without works is dead. We are to continue till our deaths. So IMHO we are not saved forever no matter what we do. Remember the unforgivable sin. How do you explain this? If not, are you ready to say He lied? God lie? Of course not I have never said that and find that a personal insult.
Our God is a just God. He showers mercy and grace upon us for His Son’s sake. He poured out the wrath that we deserved upon His Son who did not deserve it.
I am doing a good job of trying to have rational discussions. Please do not provoke me or you will just be added to the ignore list. I have not provoled you. It is your choice to ignore those that do not agree with you. I take the time to learn and listen. Again with as many post in such a short time IMHO it allows little time to think and learn. However if someone fights with me or attacks me I tend to get angry. I am sorry you have this problem no one has attacked you that I have seen. Only tried to answer you questions with answers you tend not to listen to. This causes a multitude of posts; not that posting a lot is a sin. Is it? No
Beat you to it! See post #55. Great minds, etc.Say, I just found a web site that you may be interested in. It provides scriptural support for the teachings of the Catholic Church - many, many pages of it. I suggest that anyone who is interested in this discussion, on whatever side you are on, go and take a look at this site. It will take a long time to go through, however, so happy reading.
scripturecatholic.com/index.html
Ah, yes! Sorry I missed your post. I thought that the site had some great information on it. I think I’m going to bookmark that one.Beat you to it! See post #55. Great minds, etc.![]()
Will you be completely sanctified when you die?Prove it.
Been there, tried that.Will you be completely sanctified when you die?
1 peter 3 18-20 Peter stated that Christ went into hell and "preached " there Paul said something similar in eph 4:7-10We would do well to remember that Scripture speaks of more than just heaven and hell. In 1 Peter 3.19, Peter refers to “Limbo of the Fathers,” the abode of the just.
Could it be that the manner by which the Blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us is through purgatorial cleansing?Does the Blood of Jesus Christ cleanse from all sin or not? If not, are you ready to say He lied?
Our God is a just God. He showers mercy and grace upon us for His Son’s sake. He poured out the wrath that we deserved upon His Son who did not deserve it.
I am doing a good job of trying to have rational discussions. Please do not provoke me or you will just be added to the ignore list. I take the time to learn and listen. However if someone fights with me or attacks me I tend to get angry. This causes a multitude of posts; not that posting a lot is a sin. Is it?
Do you believe that this verse refers to the hell of the damned?1 peter 3 18-20 Peter stated that Christ went into hell and "preached " there Paul said something similar in eph 4:7-10
Ahh, so then there is a fundamental change in our nature between earth and heaven. We’re 99% of the way there.No, none of us will have the inclination to sin in heaven. Here on earth is a different story though.