Questions for charismatics

• Thread starter Thread starter Les_Richardson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, I’ll respond.

The passage you refer to from Romans 8 causes me to refer back to the words of Jesus, “Without me you can do nothing” from Gospel of John 15, V.5 and in the same discourse He says He no longer calls them slaves (his disciples and us I believe) but friends, which St. Paul then echoes in the same chapter of Romans vs. 15-17. All of which is to say that the Christian may first experience conversion in some measure through fear of God, but as that person draws nearer to God in contrition, prayer, and obedience, the fear of God becomes love for God. All of this occurs as we willingly give over our own selfish will to the will of God, through Christ Jesus our Lord, **enabled **by the Holy Spirit. We could not do it on our own. God is three persons, but one God, so that when we focus on Jesus Christ, praying as He taught us to the Father, the Holy Spirit works in us and intercedes for us in language we cannot begin to understand. (Note: he is speaking of a language of the trinity, not a language or non-language coming from us.) So we don’t need to focus on the Spirit, because by focussing on the One who became man like us, and loving Him totally, we enable the Holy Spirit to work and produce the fruit of holiness in our lives. *(Important side-bar; The focus on Jesus Christ is critical because we are taught that by His **Name **that we discern the spirits, by His **Name *we have any authority, so that shifting the focus from Christ, even a little, puts our theology and practice off centre) Indeed, we don’t know how to pray as we ought, and yet when we begin to pray, the Holy Spirit steers us, in a manner of speaking. In that other famous chapter from St. Paul to the Corinthians he says that engaging the mind is better than praying only with the spirit.
Speaking of peace, he also says that God is not a God of *disorder *(some translations use the word uproar) but a God of peace.
Seems pretty straightforward there. The CCC has some clear teaching on prayer as well, in the section Christian Prayer (Part 4 I believe it is)

The outer limits? Quite simple really. There are things that go on, and we are told that they are by the power of the Holy Spirit, and I know you would agree that is patently false because of the outrage you express whenever I bring them up, but, the people that practice such things are the spirtual, doctrinal cousins of the people from which the CCR originally received its “charisms”, Protestant Pentecostals. That is fact. There is a common ancestry. I’m asking the question, what is it that you *believe *that makes you draw the distinction between what you and others within your charismatic group do, and what those people do in those Protestant groups? If you haven’t thought about it, fine. Just say so. That’s cool. I’m trying to get at what you think, not just the fact that you trust the good Catholic Authority.

I’ll give you an example of what I mean by determining what a person/group actually believes by their practices. Let us say a given charismatic group, in the process of bringing someone into the group, with their study literature and in practice in prayer meeting, teach and encourage someone to make sounds with their vocal chords, practice and then ask for the gift of tongues. That is what I call “teaching” tongues or a “methodology of tongues”. From that practice I can determine a number of things about what they believe tongues to be, ie., how common it is, the relative importance of tongues in the bigger picture of salvation and holiness. I can even trace the pedigree of the theology from that, and can speculate in an educated way about what direction they are headed.

In this thread originally, I was hoping to get charismatics to draw the lines of their own doctrine WRT these type of issues.

Les,
I don’t have time to respond right now, I will get back to you later.

I just want you to consider this point again
And the result is peaceful, beautiful group prayer. No one trying to out do the others either in volume or “better” prayer. It brings so much peace (and sometimes physical healing) to the person receiving prayer as well as the person praying.
…but it is not for everyone
Even in a group rosary, or other group prayer, you often have a few trying to pray louder or faster, and it can be quite chaotic. Group prayer in tongues is a beautiful sound.

Also are you differentiating between praying in tongues and speaking in tongues? The prayer tongue is encouraged. As I said, I have never heard anyone using a teaching tongue.
The prophecy is simple prophecy for the edification of the group.

We really don’t go to the protestant groups because we do not trust the discernment of their leaders in these matters. I believe most of the people who were turned off by Charismatics did not attend an approved Catholic group.

40.png
Mysty101:
Les,
I don’t have time to respond right now, I will get back to you later.

I just want you to consider this point again
Even in a group rosary, or other group prayer, you often have a few trying to pray louder or faster, and it can be quite chaotic. Group prayer in tongues is a beautiful sound.

Also are you differentiating between praying in tongues and speaking in tongues? The prayer tongue is encouraged. As I said, I have never heard anyone using a teaching tongue.
The prophecy is simple prophecy for the edification of the group.

We really don’t go to the protestant groups because we do not trust the discernment of their leaders in these matters. I believe most of the people who were turned off by Charismatics did not attend an approved Catholic group.
I know that it is important to charismatics to differentiate between the praying and speaking in tongues. I’m with Fr. Most the theologian on that one. There really is no differentiation from St. Paul on the central issue, one who said that he had spoken in tongues much more than the people he was writing to. He mentions praying in tongues at one point in the context of saying that it is better that the mind prays at the same time as the spirit. That says to me that he acknowledges what some have said here, that when praying in tongues one doesn’t know what one is saying.
I guess I tend to recoil from not having my mind engaged both from a personal and theological perspective. And of course there is the danger element.

My whole point re: protestants, just as all protestant groups interpret scripture and say they are guided by the Holy Spirit, the Pentecostals claim that what goes on in their meetings, regardless of how wild it gets, is all of the Holy Spirit. You know how far off the deep end they can get. Because the pedigree of the CCR traces back to those Protestant Pentecostals (of which there are many branches) I am curious where the boundary is generally speaking for people in the CCR. Clearly, where you are coming from is not mainstream CCR or you would know about the LISS and its contents as well as Ann Arbor, and the teaching of tongues. And, although I have been short on time lately, a cursory look at Catherine of Sienna Institute shows what to me is a very positive sign, that is, a strong emphasis on discernment. I am presuming they mean discernment of spirits and not only discernment of vocations.

Group prayer in tongues is a beautiful sound? A million comebacks come to mind but let’s just say that is a purely subjective statement.

A few posts back, francisca touched on something that relates to what MakerTeacher and I were discussing. I don’t think it was the intent of the post, but it brought to mind the issue of a “spirituality” that is for everyone. The good news is that there is such a spirituality. It transcends movements, styles and liturgical rites. It is OK for children and the mentality weak or slow. There is no danger of false or evil spirits, and no need of discernment to detect and ward them off, nor is there any danger of group auto suggestion. The rewards of this spirituality are deep peace, pure joy, and a life of holiness, and the possibility of renewal across the entire Church. It is very difficult, and it is right in front of us all.

I’m going to try to sum it up in a minimum of post space. More later. You’ll love it, guaranteed.

Les Richardson:
Clearly, where you are coming from is not mainstream CCR or you would know about the LISS and its contents as well as Ann Arbor, and the teaching of tongues. .
I do know about LISS—I have been to a few, and I have heard praying in tongues encouraged. What I said, was this was not in the format of our baptism in the Spirit.

Les,

I will repeat this.

Most of the criticisms of renewal are not of CCR, but of the protestant groups, or Catholic groups that are not connected to a Parish or other Catholic authority, and under that authority.

Also even authentic CCR would not be a good idea for anyone who had a bad Charismatic experience, even if it was not an authentic Catholic group.

A while back I was in a discussion on Centering Prayer—there are many complaints there, too. Again this is usually people who had bad experiences with New Age Practices (not Catholic)

Just as I said, this would probably indicate that Centering Prayer was not a good prayer method for them, I would say that CCR is not a good prayer method for someone who had a bad non-catholic or inauthentic Catholic Charismatic experience.

But that definitely does not mean that Centering Prayer, or CCR is bad.

PS Don’t you think that authentic Catholic leadership and discernment go together? How can you write rules for discernment? By their fruits shall you know them. Prayer, Mass attendance, good works, etc—wouldn’t these indicate it is an authentic group?

40.png
Mysty101:
PS Don’t you think that authentic Catholic leadership and discernment go together?
One of the best books I have ever read about discernment is by Fr. Thomas Dubay, Authenticity: A Biblical Theology of Discernment, published lately by Ignatius. See also his video series “Contemplation”.

40.png
FrmrTrad:
One of the best books I have ever read about discernment is by Fr. Thomas Dubay, Authenticity: A Biblical Theology of Discernment, published lately by Ignatius. See also his video series “Contemplation”.
I agree. I have read it & reread parts many times, and definitely use the guidelines.

Also the spiritual exercises by St Ignatius and a great article by Fr Fio.

You study, and observe, and watch for the fruits. I have seen wonderful sincere prayer in tongues, and many distracted groups where someone was trying to lead memorized prayer.–It is not the prayer, but the attitude of the person praying that makes the difference.

On the fly here. A quick question. Are the benefits that great that one deliberately places oneself in a position or situation where discernment is necessary?

It seems counter-intuitive to me just on the face of it.

Back later.

40.png
FrmrTrad:
I will saty with CATHOLIC groups, I have no need to borrow worship styles from semi protestant groups: smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_9_6v.gif smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/13/13_1_210.gif smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/13/13_1_213.gif smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/13/13_1_200.gif

Les Richardson said:
MakerTeacher,

Nice to see you weigh in here. I remember a few conversations we had some months ago on another thread and I appreciate your perspective and your balance. I disagree with you somewhat, but I will try to summarize what I mean about the larger picture in a further (lengthy) post. Suffice for the moment to say that if you listen to Ralph Martin, or Ann Shields, or Fr. Groeschel on EWTN, as an example, they all preach and teach a clear gospel that is what I would call “tongues free” version and can lead a person to a deeper, richer, fuller relationship with Jesus Christ, focussed on the Cross, empowered by the Holy Spirit. To me, that is the balance that transcends every spirituality regardless of the movement and is the essentials of our Faith, our salvation.
:whistle:
Hello Lesrichardson, I assume you know the above mentioned Evangelists are a few of the “Original Charismatics” from the 60’s??
I’m the one that said the CCR came along when the Churdh needed a spark-probably the wrong way to put it. My parents (WWII era generation) seemed to have understood God and the Church in a very austere fashion. The Church was the prolific purveyer of GUILT. God was the Big Judge in the Heavens and you better toe the line or else. The CCR came along and openned our eyes to the Mercy and Love of God and the Personal relationship possible. This was the “Untieing” of the Gifts received as written previoulsy in this thread.Mass became a prayer to be prayed,not going through the motions. If that is poor catechesis form the previous generations,then thank God the subsequent generations are working hard to get the proper teaching out to the people. there are still plenty that don’t get it!! .At least the CCR works to evangelize that a Personal relationship with Jesus will draw you into the Mass and a deeper understanding. I’m not sure if I have done this properly Just wanted to respond to part of this post.:blessyou:

Les Richardson:
On the fly here. A quick question. Are the benefits that great that one deliberately places oneself in a position or situation where discernment is necessary?

It seems counter-intuitive to me just on the face of it.

Back later.
It is the trap of the evil one to lull you into the security that discernment is not always necessary, especially if you do not know the credentials of the leadership and the organization, itself.

You brought up discernment. I said that the first priority is to be connected with an authentic Catholic group, under diocesan authority. And also to remain connected with mainstream Catholic—remember we must share our blessings and gifts. I would probably never have returned to a group where many of you have had problems, even if I did attend once, which is doubtful, but I’ll never say never.

All of the gatherings and events we sponsor and attend are very Catholic—the Spirit soars (Have you read any of my reports in the CCR sharing threads?)

No, I would not give that up because some of you either have been mislead by inauthentic or non-Catholic groups, or others who never attended and are just relating second or third hand iinformation. I have only heard good reports from those involved in authentic Catholic groups. We have a few in our conference, which belongs to the Archdiocesan group, which is under the National Service Committee which is composed of about 10 Bishops.

40.png
misericordie:
I will saty with CATHOLIC groups, I have no need to borrow worship styles from semi protestant groups: %between% %between% %between% %between%
Authentic CCR IS Catholic (Catholic Charismatic Revival)

No one is trying to convince you to attend (I wouldn’t even encourage the Novus ordo Mass to you)

I do love Latin Gregorian Chant, but would probably never attend a Tredentine Mass–I like understanding the readings, and even though I do sort of understand the Latin ordinary, I do prefer English.

Unlike the sign of peace for the congregation once instructed by the Priest --these are options. smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_4_125v.gif

I personally see the Charismatics in the Catholic Church as an elete Body of Christians who have answered the call to be Mighty Warriors in Christs Army. I believe the time is coming soon when a full blown out attack against the church is going to take place in this country.and Yes the gates of hell will not destroy the church. Our battles are not against flesh and blood but against the evil spirits in the regions of above.Christs Body has many members and all have different gifts, this is not to put down those that are not Charismatic. Yes we are all soldiers but there are different positions and rankings. Its no different in Gods Army. March on Mighty Soldiers. 👍 God Bless.

40.png
SPOKENWORD:
I personally see the Charismatics in the Catholic Church as an elete Body of Christians who have answered the call to be Mighty Warriors in Christs Army. I believe the time is coming soon when a full blown out attack against the church is going to take place in this country.and Yes the gates of hell will not destroy the church. Our battles are not against flesh and blood but against the evil spirits in the regions of above.Christs Body has many members and all have different gifts, this is not to put down those that are not Charismatic. Yes we are all soldiers but there are different positions and rankings. Its no different in Gods Army. March on Mighty Soldiers. 👍 God Bless.
I think you are absolutely right WRT the attack on the Church. She stands in the way of some world wide agendas percolating as we speak. And, of course, Satan is behind it all.

I suppose the real question then is from what direction is it going to come. Stepping back and looking at the big picture, I would think, as a general rule of thumb that it is easier to take down a large faith institution just the same way as it is to take down a powerful country, that is, from within.

We all know the obvious moral things that weaken Christians, that have been going on for ever, ie. materialism, licentiousness, and so forth, that dominate our culture. A lot of Christians can be worn down over time, to become accustomed to the thought patterns of the culture. It is relentless, as we all know. It takes a daily effort to resist it. That, too, is one of the reasons we need renewal continually, and that would be the main driving force of any spirituality. The two go hand in glove, spiritual renewal and evangelization.

I would say also, and this is really the point of all my musings and discussions, that another form of attack from within is to divert Christians off course theologically and philosophically. I think most of the charismatics that post here would agree that the Church has already experienced an assault over the past forty years in the area of New Age philosophies that attempt to undermine the basic gospel message that the Apostles were entrusted with by Jesus Christ.

From my perspective, there also appears to me to be a multi-pronged attack in the area of false ecumenism and synchretism whereby we are drawing into the Church ideas and methodologies from Protestant sources. I think that at higher levels in the church there is a recognition that Church growth had stagnated and is still stagnating in many areas. There may have been a certain desperation arising from that which predisposes them to avoid looking too closely at some innovations and their sources particularly since they see many sleeping Catholics awakened and an influx of converts. The results are good, yet I think we are being set up for further problems. My contention is that we can avoid the worst of the problems down the road that are engendered by things such as LISS and ALPHA if we simply re-center ourselves. It doesn’t have to be done with a heavy hand or anything like that, particularly because from what I have read from the high profile leaders of the CCR, their goal is essentially in complete concert with the Pope and the Magesterium.

The way we do that is by becoming more Christo-centric.

I like your vision **SPOKENWORD **and to use the same metaphor, I would suggest that all that is needed is a slight change in armor and change in mission orders. The objective remains the same.

40.png
kragar:
Les Richardson said:
MakerTeacher

Hello Les Richardson, I assume you know the above mentioned Evangelists are a few of the “Original Charismatics” from the 60’s??..(edited for space)
Kragar,
Your summary of the past to the present is certainly accurate, from what I know of it. Coming from the point of view of a convert I haven’t the personal experience of that history but I have known many Catholics fallen away from the Church and that is the perspective I got from them consistently. I remember my father, a Baptist minister, saying to me one time that he believed there actually were a few Christians in the Catholic Church. He was dead serious. That, of course, came from a evangelical point of view wherein the personal relationship with Jesus Christ is the only measure of a Christian. He thought he was being generous by that statement, even though to us it would be somewhat insulting.
But it does point to what you are saying, that the personal relationship with Jesus Christ is perhaps what had been lacking for many Catholics. It does no one good to assign blame for that state of affairs, but I will say this, when I experienced my own renewal in that personal relationship with Jesus, I had already become convinced that the only true Church of Jesus Christ, the one that He started through the apostles, was the Catholic Church, and if I was to be obedient to Christ, I could nevermore be a Protestant, a movement born in rebellion.
I must say that I hesitated because I had a lot of that baggage of suspicion of Catholics from my Protestant background. You can imagine then, my elation in finding out that there was a renewal movement happening in the Catholic Church and one focus that came out, from those original charismatics, was that very personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I had come from a background that had refined the task of evangelization and emphasizing that very relationship. It is the heart and center of their message. And really, whether or not it was obscured for a time, it is the heart and center of **our **message.
But I kept studying. I had been quite well grounded over the years in focus, methods and theology of Protestant charismatics from a perspective of resistance to them, because of the excesses and open-endedness of their experience based thinking. In many places there are virtually no controls other than the pastor. There is, in a group setting, a dynamic that becomes a continuum with the doors wide open to any kind of spirit that wants to enter. It is part of the way we are made. (By the way, it is the same dynamic that can create a mob, if the ingoing theme is anger and outrage.) Add to the mix, the cultural pressure from the sixties onward of a reaction against cold reason and science, that led many to seek “spiritualism and/or spirituality” for its own sake. In that mode of thinking any New Age teaching from TM to witchcraft to aliens gained followers. Ironically, they are all sold with the same kind of pitch that we sell weight loss programs, and personal growth programs. “Try this, you get these results.” All of that orients the person, like materialism, to the here and now. And to some extent the Pentecostal experience is similar. You get the feeling, you get signs and wonders here and now. There are even branches of the Pentecostals that have developed a theology based on the here and now, leaving Christ’s return and the hereafter as a secondary, unimportant issue.
So when I saw similar elements in the thinking and methods of the CCR I was disappointed. Especially problematic to me is that seeming belief that any and all can have the **gift **of tongues. It is the marker that indicates to me it is theologically off-center. Not irrecoverably so. If I thought that, I would never have posted a word here. Besides, the fruits of the evangelists I mentioned is unquestionable.

40.png
SPOKENWORD:
I also agree with your post. In fact, I think we saw the start of this current attack many years ago. In the 1950s, we were aware of a plan to infiltrate the Church by atheistic Communists. We were also aware of plans to destroy the United States from the inside, without a shot being fired. In those days, the Church acknowledged the satanic influence in all of this. The greatest attacks would be on the Church and on families. From then on, widespread collapse follows.
In the 1960’s we saw the evidence of these plans with the anti-establishment movement. Drugs, sexual freedom and generally, if it feels good then do it culture. You can all see how far we have come since then.
However, we had a wonderful Promise from our Lord that He would never leave us. He gave power to the Church to stand and history has proved that He keeps His word and the Church has withstood these attacks for 2000 years.
He sends out His Spirit with Power. In the 1960s, He did exactly that, in His Holy Church. This was and is the Power of Renewal. It stirred a quiet burning flame into a roaring fire. I do believe this was meant for all of Holy Mother Church. I believe this roaring fire should be the heart of the Church.

Do you think this Renewal would come under renewed enemy attack? The proof is in the “reading”. The best attack is still to try to destroy it from the inside.

1 Maria:
…teaching is one thing, experiential application is another.

Les, I agree. The true fruit that should be apparent in all the ecclesial movements is the emergence of many lives of true holiness.

This, as you already know, will attract many, many people to follow Jesus, and only Jesus, the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

Maria
I need to re-post this so we don’t lose track of the answer to be a Christo-centric people:

Jesus alone is the answer. If our very lives don’t show the holiness of Christ our words never will.

We need people who are committed to striving for sanctity as Jesus commanded when He said: “as I have loved you, so also must you love one another.”

Maria

1 Maria:
I need to re-post this so we don’t lose track of the answer to be a Christo-centric people:

Jesus alone is the answer. If our very lives don’t show the holiness of Christ our words never will.

We need people who are committed to striving for sanctity as Jesus commanded when He said: “as I have loved you, so also must you love one another.”

Maria
Hi Maria, I couldnt have said it any better. 👍 God Bless

40.png
Mysty101:
Les,

I will repeat this.

Most of the criticisms of renewal are not of CCR, but of the protestant groups, or Catholic groups that are not connected to a Parish or other Catholic authority, and under that authority.

Also even authentic CCR would not be a good idea for anyone who had a bad Charismatic experience, even if it was not an authentic Catholic group.

A while back I was in a discussion on Centering Prayer—there are many complaints there, too. Again this is usually people who had bad experiences with New Age Practices (not Catholic)

Just as I said, this would probably indicate that Centering Prayer was not a good prayer method for them, I would say that CCR is not a good prayer method for someone who had a bad non-catholic or inauthentic Catholic Charismatic experience.

But that definitely does not mean that Centering Prayer, or CCR is bad.
Are good or bad experiences the only criteria for judgement/discernment on these issues? If not, what else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back