Religion

• Thread starter Thread starter Regenhund
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Converted with my wife this Easter. Baptized Catholic (at my grandmother’s pleading), raised nothing. Found my way to Christ through the Baptists, then Presbyterians, then “non-denominationals”, and finally Episcopalians. Couldn’t stand the lack of objective truth in the non-Catholic communities, as well as the unhistoricity of non-Catholic Christianity.

Friends and family hate our decision, and try to convince us to “come back”, but they just don’t understand. No matter how much you talk to them, they don’t listen. Why would I ever go back?

cradle catholic. parents were very catholic. mom would ask all children to pray rosary with her in the evenings and do novenas to Mother of Perpetual Help on wednesdays, and read the Passion of Christ during lenten season. would wake up to dad’s loud morning offering. most activities in the house and in the field (family grew up in the farm) have catholic themes.

never left the faith. went to catholic schools. became a volunteer catechist in public schools.

learned faith on my own. read books. attend conferences.

did attend ‘other’ services and found them dry, highly emotional and unreasonable. read other faiths and became more convinced that the true church is the Catholic Church.

did ask one time or another the veracity of the Bible, questioned the catholic devotion to the Blessed Mother (i am very sorry, Heavenly Mother), and questioned simony and scandals, past and present, in the Catholic Church.

really felt bad learning about these scandals, and then after reading the Old Testament, realized how the Chosen People went astray so many times, that the scandals paled in comparison (personal opinion). realized that the Chosen People prefigures the Kingdom of Christ (militant) and happy (and sad at the same time) to note that i am in the company of sinners.

STILL very much in love with the catholic church, and growing in fervor each day, and praying that we may all be one, as Christ prays. Thanks be to God.

now a coordinator for Kids for Christ Ministry together with my wife and am asking the prayers of everyone to pray for our ministry.

I am a “cradle catholic”. I lost my way during the college years, but with the help of my then non-catholic wife (she was received into the church April 2004) I am now back on track and loving our faith together.

Dr. Colossus:
Byzantine, Roman, Assyrian, it doesn’t matter. It’s all part of the One, Catholic, Apostolic Church. There are actually 22 Churches within the Catholic Church, if I’m not mistaken.
Dr. Colossus,

Actually, it’s 23, but the Assyrians aren’t one of them, nor are the Byzantines. The Assyrian Church is among those classified as Oriental Orthodox; its Catholic counterpart is the Chaldean Catholic Church. Byzantine describes a Rite, not a Church sui iuris; although Byzantine Ruthenians in the US have tended to its use as a descriptor for their Church, there are actually 14 Catholic Churches *sui iuris *that use the Byzantine Rite

And, although I know you meant no harm by it, it does matter. We of the Eastern Catholic Churches represent a very small percentage of the Catholic Church; it is extremely important that we maintain our identity, assert our presence, and not allow ourselves to become lost in the crowd.

Many years,

Neil

Thanks for the clarification. In America it is quite common to hear those who attend the Byzantine Rite referred to as “Byzantine Catholics”. As far as the Assyrian Church goes, I was thinking about the fact that the Catholic Church recently affirmed that their sacraments are valid. I forgot that they weren’t in communion with Rome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back