Romney tells vets dangerous world demands powerful military

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pork_Roll
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I recall, half the world was in the streets protesting the WMD justification for war with Iraq. Shouldn’t that have given the powers of the day some pause and at least have them verify that there were in fact WMDs? Unless of course this action was not about safeguarding the ‘world’ to begin with?
I don’t recall “half the world” protesting the war in Iraq. “All of the leftists and Al Quaeda”, perhaps. One might recall that Saddam had no allies at all in either Phase I or Phase II except Al Qaeda, whereas the U.S. had a great number of them.

There are any number of good reasons to complain about that war, but let’s not go overboard with it.
 
As I recall, half the world was in the streets protesting the WMD justification for war with Iraq. Shouldn’t that have given the powers of the day some pause and at least have them verify that there were in fact WMDs? Unless of course this action was not about safeguarding the ‘world’ to begin with?
Revisionist history is a wonderful thing isn’t it? No half the world was NOT protesting the WMD justification. Further do you really think “half the world” objected to the removal of Saddam Hussein? He was a thorn in the side to more than just the USA. Most were quite happy to see him go even if some of them were not willing to participate.

Other world leaders were also convinced that he had the WMDs. Please go back and read what was being said at the time. As I’ve said before, hindsight is 20-20.

Lisa
 
You are the world’s greatest expert on your own opinion. As to rankings of Presidents, I suspect the current occupier of the White House has established a new standard in incompetency that will last for generations to come. And I was around for Nixon and Carter so the bar was set pretty high.

Bush was not a hawk, didn’t campaign as a hawk, nor was he known to pander to the defense companies. Can’t believe you haven’t brought up Haliburton and Cheney while you’re slinging accusations around. 9/11 changed everything. He had to respond and while one may second guess the response, the fact is that the Iraq War was voted on and was well supported at the beginning. It was only when the strategy of the small footprint started going south that the rats started abandoning the perceived sinking ship. You know Kerry…voted for it before he voted against it! Hindsight is quite educational!

I assure you having had extensive and direct contact with many troops during the Iraq War, that initially they truly believed he had WMDs. They were required to wear or have close by their chemical weapons’ protection which slowed down the march to Baghdad immensely. I don’t disagree that the intelligence was bad but that doesn’t mean the initial reason for focusing on Iraq was deliberately based on a lie. It’s a lot easier to play Monday Morning Quarterback though isn’t it?

Lisa
👍👍👍 Great response!
 
I don’t recall “half the world” protesting the war in Iraq. “All of the leftists and Al Quaeda”, perhaps.
How about the Catholic Church? Saddam did give Catholics some power, including the prominent Tarik Aziz. The Bush mismanagement of the war severely jeopardized the lives of all Christians there while Bush was gloating on some of his “Mission Accomplished” politics.

So I guess the question for us Catholics would be whether Obama or Romney could restore some Christian-friendly climate within that area? Neither seems to be talking about it.
 
How about the Catholic Church? Saddam did give Catholics some power, including the prominent Tarik Aziz. The Bush mismanagement of the war severely jeopardized the lives of all Christians there while Bush was gloating on some of his “Mission Accomplished” politics.

So I guess the question for us Catholics would be whether Obama or Romney could restore some Christian-friendly climate within that area? Neither seems to be talking about it.
More revisionist history. Saddam didn’t protect Catholics. It was the influence of Tarik Aziz. Had he not been Christian and had Catholics caused Saddam any problems they would have been slaughtered just like any of his other detractors. Don’t forget Saddam was a secular ruler. He didn’t give a rat’s patooty about religion unless it served his purpose. Once that secular strongman was gone, the various Islamist factions went back to doing what they’ve done for centuries.

That Catholics are being persecuted now has zero to do with President Bush and everything to do with militant Islam which has taken over in Iraq. Sadly Islamists are not tolerant of other faiths. How many Christians are welcome in Saudi Arabia? I wish we could have done something to either protect or frankly MOVE the Christians out of Iraq. They are never going to be safe as long as militant Islam reigns. We have a Religious whose affiliate is (was?) in Iraq and the sisters are not able to live in peace there. I’m for getting any Christians out of that country.

I love the blaming of President Bush for ‘all that ails ya’ but unfortunately this has nothing to do with reality.

Lisa
 
I suppose you’re right. Simply dropping bombs on alleged nuke sites should have been sufficient. Course, if the UN suspects Iran of the same -I do believe we should drop bombs on their nuke sites as well… No need for an invasion though.
 
Certain leaders are considered too irresponsible to manage such power… Particularly Dictators should never be allowed such power. One man holding the power to destroy a million is unacceptable according to the common good.
 
Typically I think the UN does the investigating. They try to negotiate, and reason with those who may pose a threat to what it considers a threat to the common good… America tends to be more like the UNs attack dog.
 
So, I guess I’m not getting your point. What you describe could be said of any government in the world - except some are much worse than others. If you are just saying “no one should have nukes,” I would agree with you. However, that is a pollyannish way of looking at things, since there are nukes and no prospect for effectively banning them. 🤷
 
LOL
I noticed Canada did a pretty good job of expanding and settling her western states in the same time period
Ah, American exceptionalism. AKA the view that America has a serious Messianic complex, which is not a new thing (Manifest Destiny was an early indicator of that).
 
I do think America behaves similar to a dictator when we invade other nations and then try to implement new governments for them that are similar to our own.

What kind of people can follow a foreign people’s style of government and accept it…? Who could be so weak? I would think each culture should be responsible for fashioning their own style of government for themselves. If they choose to copy off another then that’s their choice, and they would be more apt to accept it.
 
I agree with the other wastes found in our country but I was responding specifically to the charge that america needs a big military. Its a monster that has grown infinitely beyond its mean and yet what do we have to show for it? It’s not even number 1 lol Not saying our military is a pushover, far from it. But the fact we pay money to station soldiers in hundreds of countries across the world, most of the countries most of us probably never even heard of. And all the money that they wasted on that super battleship thing that was “unsinkable” or whatever arrogant word was used. Months later china had a missile that theoretically would sink it from miles and miles and miles away on land. It’s those kinds of multi billion “pet” projects that the american people can not afford and that the world does not need.

Of course we needed to be involved in world war 2 but I refuse to acknowledge the “heroics” of the american governments timely advance into war. Keep in mind I’m not speaking of the soldiers who fought as their actions speak for themselves, the good and the bad. But the fact that america sat by neutral dishing out money and supplies while europe was getting wrecked. And it wasn’t until japan attacked that america got involved. Then we have a powerful fresh military moving in to attack a nation that was tired for several years of war spread out across several fronts. America didn’t save the day. They just came in and kicked a dog while it was down. Had Japan not attacked and Hitler finished his conquest of western europe Lord knows how different this world would have been. America wouldn’t have stood a chance against Germany then. (But obviously didn’t happen that way so speculation is pretty pointless).

And lastly, I wouldn’t mind learning russian to be honest. It’s a beautiful language with a very emotional accent. As opposed to our redneckish southern "drawl’ that makes us look …well special.
I am appalled at the naivete and mis-interpretation of history and current events. I am particularly appalled at your lack of national pride. Even today, it is only in the US that one could express opinions such as yours and not expect to have serious adverse consequenses. In Russia, today, you could expect “a knock on your door” for posting a preference for another country.
For the rest of you peaceniks, you fail to realize that in this day , the problem in the mid-east is a religious one, not a political one. In moslem countries, their societies are in a stage of developement similiar to what existed in the West prior to the 19th Century.
At that time, the most important, best educated individual in any community was the clergyman. Even the local nobleman was subservient to him. As the population in the West became more educated more affluent, society became more secularized and the clergyman lost his important status.
This is exactly why the religious leaders in the mid-East are agitating against.
In addition, Iran wants to re-create the Persian Empire in order to become more powerful than the Saudis. By re-uniting with Iraq, she will control most of the known oil and could collapse the Western economies. Of course, China being the ultimate businessman encourages this because she will benefit from this and become the predominate power in the Far East.
So, for all of you who are anti-war and anti-military, enjoy it while you can. When our economy collapses because we are too weak and powerless to alter world events, you will spend the rest of your life eking out a subsistence existance. And, when a major conflict-probablly with Iran-occcurs, Washington and most of our society will not treat opposition kindly. You seem to forget that during WW II anti-war types were given the option of either volunteering for the Army (the Navy and Marine Corps wouldn’t take them) or going to prison. When the Army got their hands on these people, they were assigned to front line units.
Those that survived were no longer peaceniks by the end of the war!
 
Well, I have nothing but disgust for our current government, but what culture would you suggest be supported in Western civilization?

I hope you understand the history of Islam before you answer…
 
What utter baloney! Do you know anything about American history? Please tell me when we have been as brutal as say Mao, Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, Castro…the list is long and distinguished. America has never had purges, pogroms, mass killings, death camps or any of the great host of atrocities of the 20th century instigated by tyrants and dictators in other lands. You might ask those freed by America whether they would rather see a Nazi, Khmer Rouge, Communist or an American coming over the horizon.

Lisa
 
Good point. Why -]spend/-] -]borrow/-] print the money to have power to destroy even more? Is Romney even listening to himself?
 
Discounting your last two which are grossly overblown, you might have read the post and responded to what I said. With respect to slavery, nothing to excuse there although you might have noted that a) only a portion of America allowed slavery it was not a government sponsored program throughout the country unlike the government sponsored massacres of the Communist countries b) it was in the 19th not the 20th or 21st Century as I noted in the post and c) we outlawed slavery almost 200 years ago so it’s really not relevant when discussing the current election cycle. But hey some people love beating dead horses since they no longer kick.

Again tell me where Americans fighting on foreign soil, against brutal dictators, had any sort of state sponsored massacres, genocides, or executions? America has been a force for good in this world. When given the opportunity our soldiers have erred on the side of protecting the innocent to the detriment of their own lives and safety.

I must ask, are you American?

Lisa
 
I’m guessing you have the same concerns for the UK then, since they also had slavery (in addition to the slave trade they set up in the later United States), killed Native Americans (and natives in plenty of other lands) and had plenty of war attrocities over the centuries. 🤷

The UK is still considered a major military power, are they not? Or, do you look at them as some third-world, dictator-like country?
 
So, whom do you trust with nukes, then? Is everyone equal, so we should just treat every country the same, when it comes to trusting them with nukes? The world isn’t dangerous, so the UK and US should cut back and/or disarm? I mean, you obviously think both are evil forces in the world.
 
Got it. So, who’s the shining knight? Whom would you prefer to be the major power?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top