Romney: Welfare Moms Need 'Dignity of Work'

  • Thread starter Thread starter Birdpreacher
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure you can. First of all, receiving Social Security income is not being “on the dole”. These older citizens paid into the system - almost always more than they will ever receive back.

Second, for many (not all) “welfare moms” the hardest hurdle is finding that first job - one that pays enough to feed the family and does not require the parent to give up the free healthcare they get while on welfare without a viable replacement. Older workers are not in the same situation.
I would suggest means testing, short term helthcare, and other forms of temporary assistance for moms who are on welfare and get a job. I don’t think it’s fair that they loose government benefits right away when they become gainfully employed. I do think we need to hold people accountable, though and help them to get on their feet though.
 
But there is no reason to give government money to people for not working. Social security is not savings. So nobody is owed anything.
You are right it is not savings. But neither is is the government “giving” you money. It functions more like an insurance policy. (in fact that’s what the “I” means in SSI) If you pay into the system, you are able to withdraw from the system. If you paid the premiums on your car insurance, you expect to get money when you wreck your car - same thing with SSI.
 
I would suggest means testing, short term helthcare, and other forms of temporary assistance for moms who are on welfare and get a job. I don’t think it’s fair that they loose government benefits right away when they become gainfully employed. I do think we need to hold people accountable, though and help them to get on their feet though.
👍

One of the things that was missing from Obamacare that I would have actually agreed with would have been some kind of “gap” health coverage for those coming off of Medicaid or other subsidized programs. But no one listened to me. 😉
 
I would suggest means testing, short term helthcare, and other forms of temporary assistance for moms who are on welfare and get a job. I don’t think it’s fair that they loose government benefits right away when they become gainfully employed. I do think we need to hold people accountable, though and help them to get on their feet though.
Even our backwards state of Kansas all those services are already in place.
 
ssa.gov/oact/ProgData/fundFAQ.html

The Social Security Trust Funds are the Old-Age and Survivors Insurance (OASI) and the Disability Insurance (DI) Trust Funds. These funds are accounts managed by the Department of the Treasury. They serve two purposes: (1) they provide an accounting mechanism for tracking all income to and disbursements from the trust funds, and (2) they hold the accumulated assets. These accumulated assets provide automatic spending authority to pay benefits. The Social Security Act limits trust fund expenditures to benefits and administrative costs.

Benefits to retired workers and their families, and to families of deceased workers, are paid from the OASI Trust Fund. Benefits to disabled workers and their families are paid from the DI Trust Fund. More than 98 percent of total disbursements in 2011 were for benefit payments.

A Board of Trustees oversees the financial operations of the trust funds. The Board reports annually to the Congress on the financial status of the trust funds.

Is the government lying to us?
Yes and no. By a supreme court ruling there is no account created for individual tax payers the collected monies go into the treasury unencumbered. The accounting gimmick calling it a trust fund allows the treasury to take the money paid into the account and replace it with a special government bond. These bonds are not allowed to be sold on the open market so they have no real value except what the treasury wants to value them at the time of their redemption. Of course that day happens only when the cash flow into the government coffers are surplus. Otherwise all payment like what has been happening for the past 40 odd years, must come out of current treasury receipts or borrowed funds from the federal reserve. That big old surplus the politicians keep talking about are really only special bonds not real money. But then the US has been running on fiat money for a very long time now so what’s new?
 
You are right it is not savings. But neither is is the government “giving” you money. It functions more like an insurance policy.
It started off as a type of insurance policy. When it was started about half the people born were not expected to collect. If we had such as system today it would be easier to manage. But it transformed from an insurance policy to a dole system where the able bodied quit working to collect the dole.
 
So you are saying the example should be work hard and long so the government can take your wages and give them to others?

That’s inspiring.
That what trasfer payments mean. Thanks for playing. 🙂
 
Yes, people who are able to work but choose to collect the dole instead. Since when does an able bodied person have the right to insist that I go to work so that they can sit on their rear end and collect part of my hard earned wages for doing nothing?
My father retired at 46. After quitting high school and entering the Navy at 18 to fight in WWII.
He then came home and spent 20 years on the Washington DC police department.
He then retired.
You would hold that against him?
To be fair though, he did work through most of his retirement. Mostly cash for carpentry work.
He was not an idle person.
 
HuffPo: Welfare Recipients = Stay-at-Home-Moms
Democrats continued their “war on moms” via the Huffington Post
this weekend by equating stay-at-home mothers to welfare recipients. Their headline:

“Mitt Romney: Mothers Should Be Required To Work Outside the Home Or Lose Benefits.”

They quote Mitt Romney from a January speech in which he stated that he felt that women who received federal assistance should be required to work in order to discourage dependency on government programs. HuffPo then clumsily argues Romney is anti-stay-at-home-moms because he doesn’t support those stay-at-home-moms who receive government assistance.

HuffPo’s illogic is both horribly offensive and inaccurate. Stay-at-home mothers with an employed husband generally don’t live off of public assistance funds; in fact, they’re paying for the entitlements received by those on the federal assistance programs Romney describes. But that doesn’t stop HuffPo:

Regardless of its level of dignity, for Ann Romney, her work raising her children would not have fulfilled her work requirement had she been on TANF benefits.

The proper word here is “duh.” Ann Romney wasn’t receiving government funds; her family paid its own way. What a silly analogy.

HuffPo is angry at welfare reform requiring proof of work activity to receive benefits. Democrats simultaneously attack traditional stay-at-home mothers because their families are able to subsist without public help while at the same time demanding that those same families also pay for the welfare.

It’s a clunky defense: those soaring entitlement costs that Dems defend have contributed to more women losing the choice to stay home to supplement their family’s income, thereby compromising Democrats’ faux concern for working families. Instead of making it easier for families, Democrats overburden them with regulation and excessive government spending. Democrats create policies which makes self-sustaining homemaking increasingly difficult.

Democrats need to stop this idiotic “war on women” spin at this point. Their rhetoric grows more offensive with each attempt to defend anti-stay-at-home-mom radicals like Hilary Rosen.

breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/04/16/huffpo-stay-at-home-moms-welfare-recipients
 
I would suggest means testing, short term helthcare, and other forms of temporary assistance for moms who are on welfare and get a job. I don’t think it’s fair that they loose government benefits right away when they become gainfully employed. I do think we need to hold people accountable, though and help them to get on their feet though.
We have to be careful about means testing. My grandfather was in every way a classic conservative-I don’t think he voted for a Democrat after Harry Truman. However, he grew up in the 1930’s on relief, and the one thing he always, always hated was the way means testing was conducted and had very strong feelings about how people on welfare/relief were treated-to him, the means test that his mother had to go through was the most dehumanizing and humiliating process imaginable, and it still got him angry at 85 years old.
 
You are right it is not savings. But neither is is the government “giving” you money. It functions more like an insurance policy. (in fact that’s what the “I” means in SSI) If you pay into the system, you are able to withdraw from the system. If you paid the premiums on your car insurance, you expect to get money when you wreck your car - same thing with SSI.
It is not an insurance policy and never has been. It has been and continues to be marketed as one because no one would acquiesce to the Ponzi scheme the government is fostering trying to buy middle class votes.
You have no account or policy held by the governement in your name that you can make a future claim on. If you think you do try to find it and borrow money on it.
 
We have to be careful about means testing. My grandfather was in every way a classic conservative-I don’t think he voted for a Democrat after Harry Truman. However, he grew up in the 1930’s on relief, and the one thing he always, always hated was the way means testing was conducted and had very strong feelings about how people on welfare/relief were treated-to him, the means test that his mother had to go through was the most dehumanizing and humiliating process imaginable, and it still got him angry at 85 years old.
If he found so humiliating his mother could have declined at any time.
 
It started off as a type of insurance policy. When it was started about half the people born were not expected to collect. If we had such as system today it would be easier to manage. But it transformed from an insurance policy to a dole system where the able bodied quit working to collect the dole.
It was never an insurance policy. the word insurance only appeared in the title of the bill and by what it was referred to in public discussions and media. The government never had individual accounts or policies.
 
I hope he includes the able bodied social security recipients as well. You can’t criticize young people for not working when there are plenty of able bodied old people on the dole.
I know plenty of young people that DONT and WONT work. They are just as happy to collect whatever government pay is out there to sit on thier backsides at thier mom and dads house.
And too many moms and dads are just willing to let thier kids and THIER kids live at home too.
We have become on one hand a nanny state, and on the other we have parents coddleing thier brats well into their 20s.
I will be 49 tomrrow.
I have worked since I was 14.
The only time my parents were ok with me not working was if I was playing sports in high school.
Other than that I worked, I also have no plans to retire. Most people my age know we will work till we die.
 
If he found so humiliating his mother could have declined at any time.
That is true but the kids could starve go without shelter or clothing or who knows what else.
I was forced by my son’s infirmities to go with him to submit his application for SSI and Medicare/Medicaid when he aged out of my insurance. It is still a soulless spirit destroying process. But, you want the man’s money you dance to his tune.
 
It’s not as easy as it sounds.

Many single moms would like to work, but the cost of day care, takes every cent they make working.

Most single moms work part time jobs, but also need some help with day-care so they can work.

School vacation time makes it even more difficult.

OH, and before you blame them for having kids and being single, many of their husbands abandoned them, and left them to fend for themselves.

I’m thankful that my wife was able to stay home and raise our kids for the first 12 years of their life, before she eventually went to work part time. We were blessed in that my income could make this possible.

However, we knew mother’s who could not do this, as their husbands were alcholics who paid nothing for child support.

So don’t be too quick to jump on Romney’s band wagon. He’s a man who is totally disconnected with such issues.

Jim
Well your right JimR it isn’t really that easy. But I don’t think that should stop us.

I think that one of the reasons the men left the women was that they knew that uncle same would take care of them. Yeah I don’t think making changes to a system would help directly, we need to have different hearts, remember we separated sex from the place it’s meant to be. Would there be a need for welfare if people got married before they had kids, and the man actually had responsibly.well it would certainly be needed less.

I’m in no way going to entirely blame them for having kids, but I think in general Women need to understand that they have a crucial role to play in the way men act. Fulton Sheen I think said the hand that rocks the cradle moves the world.

I think Romney is really on to something and in that I don’t think that he realized it he pointed to a much bigger problem. Even though it is hard, it’s necessary and doable that we get Women work and slash welfare, where I live in Mass, the city of Lawerence is plagued with welfare. why should men stay around when I help pay for a woman and her 5 kids, what about the man who’s trying to feed his wife and his own kids, yeah I’m all for helping out and being charitable, but it’s gone to far. Plus welfare isn’t what it used to be. Back in the day the provider for those less fortunate was the Church and still is, but when the pastor came and gave you a bag of groceries that’s what you got, you got the necessities. Now you can drive a lexsus SUV and have a Coach bag on welfare. But the people who are taxed to pay for it can’t get that. It’s a broken thing for a broken society and it doesn’t help make anything better.

You fix the heart then you can fix the system.
 
Typical Romney. Always all over the place. I saw a tape of him yesterday defending Roe v Wade and a woman’s right to choose back in his days in Massachusetts. Then last wk they’re defending a woman’s choice and Ann’s choice to stay at home. Now the next wk, stay at home moms shouldn’t have a choice and should not stay at home for their dignity.
 
I know plenty of young people that DONT and WONT work. They are just as happy to collect whatever government pay is out there to sit on thier backsides at thier mom and dads house.
There are plenty of older people who don’t and won’t work as well. They are also happy to collect what the government pays out. And demand more, Medicare part D anyone? That is a pure welfare program, which was done George W. Bush.
 
It started off as a type of insurance policy. When it was started about half the people born were not expected to collect. If we had such as system today it would be easier to manage. But it transformed from an insurance policy to a dole system where the able bodied quit working to collect the dole.
I’m curious Stinkcat, how old are you, and do you work?

Actually, most jobs these days don’t require an able-bodied man to do them. Most people just sit on their butts and stare at a computer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top