Satanism in usa?

• Thread starter Thread starter MARTIN2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
kjvail:
Perhaps you can give me what your ideas are of blasphamy.
QUOTE]

kjvail,

May the Love of Christ be with you. I hesitate to do this because it is so extremely offensive, but perhaps you should visit
darklyrics.com/lyrics/slayer/godhatesusall.html#1
for the lyrics to Slayer’s album “God Hates Us All”. Then consider the definition of blasphemy: “The act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God”. I can’t see how a Christian could even think of listening to such hate. It is poison.

Ok, I accept that. I counter with this -
Silent Scream probably the most intense anti-abortion song ever produced.

lyricsdepot.com/slayer/silent-scream.html

or Die By the Sword - a condemnation of religious violence

lyricsdepot.com/slayer/die-by-the-sword.html

or War Ensemble - a condemnation of scorched earth warfare tactics used often in WW II.
lyricsdepot.com/slayer/war-ensemble.html

This stuff is not pretty, it’s not supposed to be. It’s supposed to smack you in the face and say WAKE UP!

More:

Look up any band you like here:
lyricsdepot.com/

40.png
kjvail:
This stuff is not pretty, it’s not supposed to be. It’s supposed to smack you in the face and say WAKE UP!
Ok, you concede that at least one Slayer song is blasphemous, but these other songs you cite are “good” because they deal with a somewhat religious POV?

I hope you’ll read the earlier post about how things cannot be good AND bad. Just b/c they write a few politically righteous songs that happen to agree somewhat with Catholic doctrine does not mean this band is not bad at best, satanic at worst. This is precisely the strategy of the evil one, to muddle and confuse the issue (oh they are good for the most part, yadda yadda) until you just capitulate and say “oh well, it’s not harming me” or any of the other excuses to do something you know really isn’t what Jesus would want for us. Would you really sit Jesus down to listen to this stuff w/you?
:eek:

I just came into this thread and judging by earlier posts this has something to do with rock.
I feel that if the song offends God, Jesus, saints, church.etc. it is not okay to listen to. Everything else however, depending on the message of the song can be ingnored or listened to depending on how someone thinks. In other words, if it offends you or tempts you, listening to that particular song or band is not recommended
Just my opinion

Raphaela,

These are all posts written by you in a very short period of time. Now I know that you sent a post to St Michael’s. Will you take him seriously or are you looking for attention, my friend? You are very young, and I repeat, you are playing with fire at the detriment of your soul. Please be aware of the great confusion you are sowing within yourself. You will end up not knowing where you stand on anything if this continues. You cannot go from one site and go into another spreading half-truths and even falsities.
My heart goes out to you, but do you really want advice? :confused:
Blessings,
Shoshana
Nobody, in another thread, someone actually told me that i was in trouble because a friend of mine is a satanist.
-Religious tolerance: I’ve seen thread that say catholics are discriminated against, yet if you associate yourself (ie. have a friend) who is another religion which is completely the opposite of catholicism, somehow you are in trouble because you practice tolerance towards this persons beliefs. why is this?
I read the article and still don’t understand. How am I in trouble because i have a friend who is a satanist?
*I listen to all that music, there is nothign wrong with it. System of a down is very political and environmentally concerned. I don’t think they even go near religion in any of there songs and i have… *
*well, they are shadowy figures, 6 ft tall or more, they look a lot like humans only no distinct shape. I can’t see faces or clothign just shadow. I often see them at the corner of my eye and when i… *
*I have a ghost story, because i see them all the time, I won’t get into detail because i feel that whatever it is i’m seeing won’t let me post the story. These things that I see though, don’t scare… *
*i don’t mean to be rude, but goth is not a religion. I’m a “goth” and have never practised anything like satanism etc., when i was 12 my friends and i tried witchcraft, it didn’t work, we moved on. I… *
*Satanism is now a valid religion, whether it’s right or not, that’s not the point. if you read up on it… *

Hi, I am just joining this thread now. I am a heavy metal fan (among many other genres, too), like kjvail, but I can see that we depart in some significant ways.

As to the lyrics to System Of A Down’s Chop Suey, I have found that their lyrics are 75% gibberish, IMO. I have that album and many of the lyrics are just flat out non-sensical. I have listened to the song Chop Suey many times and contemplated its lyrics. I could see an argument for it being anti-Christian or maybe even pro-Christian, but ultimately to me it’s gibberish with some religious overtones. It’s like watching a David Lynch movie.

JJJ, I will check out Donna Cori Gibson at your suggestion. Thanks!

raphaela, I haven’t heard of any of the bands that you mentioned. I am always looking for good, heavy Christian music, though. I suggest that you check out Theocracy, a fantastic new Christian metal band. I have started a thread on them in the Family Life section entitled “Theocracy: excellent Christian metal band”. Please check that out for links to download samples and more info on them. The lyrics are unabashedly Christian and direct about it, but they are in no way sissy or cheesy, as so many heavy Christian bands tend to be, in my estimation. Direct link to thread:

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=5311

My take on Satanism in metal: the death metal and black metal genres are basically dedicated to Satanism as subject matter. Note: there are exceptions. Being very technical, death metal specifically refers to the type of fast instrumentation and especially the vocals, which are really just a growl – even reading a lyrics sheet I often cannot hear one word that they are saying. There are Christian death metal bands (Mortification and Frank’s Enemy being the two I have CDs of – the name of the second band comes from the Frank Zappa statement: “Christians are my enemies”). But since 95% of death metal bands are Satanic, the genre is fairly portrayed that way.

Anyway, I love metal music, but I have always stayed almost completely away from anything with Satanic themes. Even as a youngster, when I had no religious beliefs, I stayed away from them. I would also echo the fact that the large majority of these bands are faking it. I am not saying that that makes it OK, as I still will not listen even knowing that it is an act. Some of my music friends locally are friends with guys in those kinds of bands and they have confirmed for me that the whole thing is an act. It draws the kids in and gives them an excuse to act hedonistic. They listen knowing that it’s an act. I choose not to listen at all. To me the words are not what I need in my brain, regardless of the artist’s motivation in saying them is.

Since we are talking a lot about Slayer, I’ll relate the story of my one and only exposure to them. I was in 8th grade (this must be around 1987) and sleeping over at my friend’s house. We liked to listen to Iron Maiden and such together. So he’s excited to introduce me to this new “Slayer” band that I had never heard of. We are in our sleeping bags and it is pitch black and he starts the tape. Out of the darkness comes the low, growly voice saying “Enter the realm of Satan”. I was an atheist at the time, but still plenty scared just hearing that in the darkness. I said, “That’s enough. Turn it off please.” And I never listened to them again. I’ve had friends try to get me into them later in life. I would peruse the lyrics sheet and just pass on it. I got the impression that most of their songs were Satanic, but I would not be an authority on that.

40.png
Wampa:
Since we are talking a lot about Slayer, I’ll relate the story of my one and only exposure to them. I was in 8th grade (this must be around 1987) and sleeping over at my friend’s house. We liked to listen to Iron Maiden and such together. So he’s excited to introduce me to this new “Slayer” band that I had never heard of. We are in our sleeping bags and it is pitch black and he starts the tape. Out of the darkness comes the low, growly voice saying “Enter the realm of Satan”. I was an atheist at the time, but still plenty scared just hearing that in the darkness. I said, “That’s enough. Turn it off please.” And I never listened to them again. I’ve had friends try to get me into them later in life. I would peruse the lyrics sheet and just pass on it. I got the impression that most of their songs were Satanic, but I would not be an authority on that.
LOL that’s the song “Altar of Sacrifice” - it’s about human sacrifice religions.
Men does evil things that a given. We can pretend we don’t or we can take a hard look at it.
If you want to ban songs like “Angel of Death” how about the movie Schindler’s List? They are about the same thing.
If we shouldn’t have “Spirit in Black” perhaps we should avoid Dante’s Inferno as well.
Many people, including those in metal bands are very cynical and suspicious of organized religion. How could you not be if you’re not sure and you read about Jim Baker, Jim Jones, David Koresh and the sexual abuse scandal in our own Church?
You believe what you want, I know what the songs mean and I enjoy them. The genre is not for everyone.

I thought you might laugh at that story! 😃

Interestingly, your strategy is kind of the strategy I employ to the metal songs about various vices. You’re essentially saying “I have the discernment to not be affected negatively in the way that someone young, ignorant, and impressionable might be” Fair enough. That’s my argument when people ask me how I can listen to the sex-drenched music of Warrant, Poison, etc. Well, it’s a show. I don’t believe in it. I am following the Church’s teachings (Theology Of The Body). But I enjoy their music. If I was unsure of how I should be acting sexually, then I can see it being a danger. So basically a lot of it comes down to the mind of the listener/viewer. For the impressionable, it’s bad. I can watch some TV that I personally disagree with, but still find funny. Yet I can still squirm when I realize that young, impressionable people are watching it. I am starting to think that a lot of what’s popular entertainment now should be off limits until, oh I don’t know, age 30 maybe???

40.png
raphaela:
Of course there’s satanism in the USA, just like there is satanism in Canada and England…

Satanism is now a valid religion, whether it’s right or not, that’s not the point. if you read up on it (my fiancee hates it when i do, he thinks the devil will try to steal my soul), it’s nothing but rituals. Catholics have rituals. I’m not condoning it by the way. IT’s just that most satanists are good people, I have a good friend who is one, he wouldn’t harm a thing. There are the select few that take what they believe, twist it, and turn it into a reason to kill, rape, sacrifices animals, whatever. It give the rest a bad name. BTW, i am christian, I just feel that people are open to whatever religion they want, it’s a choice, and God gave us free-will to choose.
By whose determination is Satanism valid, Raphaela ?

Remember the 1st. Commandment ???

i’ve read quite a few posts from people in here that are worried about how you’re treating all of this, as well as the person you’re befriending . Some have mentioned not being friends with this person . I happen to agree with them. Now, please understand, the Devil ( who is so very real) will use ANY means necessary to make you sin. period. the devil wants you away from God.

Music is definately one form. You say you just listen to the music, and not to the lyrics. What does the music do to your senses? Does it make you feel good when you hear JUST the music to a song ? Is it the beat ?
Your feelings concerning music cannot and should not be trusted.
Music can be an addictive drug, and even your own reasonings that there’s nothing wrong with it, tells me that the devil already has a foothold on your heart . Pray to get him out ! That’s all it takes, really.

As far as your friend, that’s alos the answer. To pray for that friend. But to continue to hang with that person will put both your souls in jeopardy. Its by living the example of a Christian life that we SHOW others what God’s love is … . .

I’ll continue to pray for you, Raphaela , as I’ve seen you in the forums quite a bit . .

God Bless

The greatest thing Satan does is to convince people that he doesn’t exist. He will slowly weaken people’s will through bad music and the such which will slowly break down one’s conscience and then open them up to a great risk to even more severe evil. Altough the music may not seem wrong, it is, or could lead to worst things. Jesus said in one of the gospels and (I am paraphrasing here) that “Those who are not with Me are against Me” which means that all music, movies, media, ect. that does not give glory to Christ is not at all worth allowing yourself to be absorbed in. That is why we should always open our eyes, ears, and hearts to Christ, so that none of those evil things of this world that satan tries to get us to fall for, can penetrate the purity of mind, body and soul that God intended for all of us to have.

You all can worry about music if you like, I’ll stay focused on the education system. I guess we pick our battles.

Bobby Jim:
I would be highly suspicious of your friend’s story… this sounds like the “ritual satanic abuse” that people were claiming a lot in the '80s and '90s… upon further investigation many of those stories were fraudulent - sometimes false “memories” that arise during psychological therapy.
True.
Bobby Jim:
likely to find a couple of stoned teenagers skinning a cat and listening to heavy metal music in the woods at night.
Thats still satanic, and should not be tolerated.

40.png
raphaela:
Ok, so i read in my reputation thing ( i just stumbled on it, and don’t even know what it is) that some thinks I’m clueless, kinda hurt, oh well. so here’s my thing. If anyone has suggestions about music that is chrisian/catholic whatever, and is good HARD rock, and i don’t mean sissy stuff, please post it. I’ll give it a try, but it has to be hard rock, pleeeeeeaase, I don’t want to sin or let the devil in, but I need my hard rock. THANKS so much!!
Try any of Third Day’s CD’s. They are not Catholic, but they are Christian and Qualify as hard rock. I am an old air guitar player and quite a few of their songs get that radio cranked and that guitar going. I am sure there are many others… Maybe you should start a new thread looking for hard rock Christian Music. I’ll bet you would come up with tons of replys. If not, go buy all of third days albumns, especially the live recording with the gold label, (can’t remember the title).

Peace

40.png
kjvail:
How do you do that? I can’t find it
You can mouse over the colored square next to your # of posts to see your rating. You can also click on the Profile menu at the top of the page to see the specific reputation that you have received. This topic is covered pretty extensively (with explanation from the moderators) in the Support & Suggestions area:

Sticky: Reputation System
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=2097

40.png
kjvail:
You all can worry about music if you like, I’ll stay focused on the education system. I guess we pick our battles.
This is true. You had mentioned wanting things deemed evil to be banned. I’m pretty sure no one on this thread is advocating that. I know my POV, especially to Raphaela but to you as well, is to make you think about what it means to truely be Christian. Now, don’t take that as evidence that I or anyone is judging you, but just that it does take a little maturity of faith to just say goodbye to music, movies, etc. that denigrate Jesus, His Church, or His teachings.
I know for me that has meant throwing out books, CDs, that don’t support a Christian worldview. That also means not watching TV or movies that do the same. It’s a sacrifice sometimes, especially when “everyone else is doing it”, even other Christians who may mock you for being “pious”, but it’s part of picking up His cross!! 👍

40.png
Jennifer123:
This is true. You had mentioned wanting things deemed evil to be banned. I’m pretty sure no one on this thread is advocating that. I know my POV, especially to Raphaela but to you as well, is to make you think about what it means to truely be Christian. Now, don’t take that as evidence that I or anyone is judging you, but just that it does take a little maturity of faith to just say goodbye to music, movies, etc. that denigrate Jesus, His Church, or His teachings.
I know for me that has meant throwing out books, CDs, that don’t support a Christian worldview. That also means not watching TV or movies that do the same. It’s a sacrifice sometimes, especially when “everyone else is doing it”, even other Christians who may mock you for being “pious”, but it’s part of picking up His cross!! 👍
Well said, J123! I think what is most lacking in the Christian community is an awareness of the spiritual damage that is caused by compromise. If anyone doesn’t realize the battle we’re in, let him turn to Scripture:

Ephesians 6:12
“For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.”

40.png
zeek:
The greatest thing Satan does is to convince people that he doesn’t exist. He will slowly weaken people’s will through bad music and the such which will slowly break down one’s conscience and then open them up to a great risk to even more severe evil. Altough the music may not seem wrong, it is, or could lead to worst things. Jesus said in one of the gospels and (I am paraphrasing here) that “Those who are not with Me are against Me” which means that all music, movies, media, ect. that does not give glory to Christ is not at all worth allowing yourself to be absorbed in. That is why we should always open our eyes, ears, and hearts to Christ, so that none of those evil things of this world that satan tries to get us to fall for, can penetrate the purity of mind, body and soul that God intended for all of us to have.
I couldn’t agree more with what you’ve said , Zeek. !:amen:

Shoshanna, i haven’t said half-truths or falseties(sp?). I only tell the truth, and yes, sometimes that may comes across as me not knowing what i am talking about. But if I have to lie to get a point across, than the is no point at all. I know some of what I have said may be hypocritical, but everyone is at one point or another. So there are no half-truths, what you read is what you get, take it how you want. What i don’t understand is why you quoted me on all those things after your post? That is me, and your point was?? Please explain because i didn’t see the neccesity of it.

Also, someone said something about young, impressionable, niave…why is it that only young people, or people younger than yourself, (this wasn’t shoshanna, who said this btw it was someone else) deemed niave and impressionable??? You can be 90 years old and still be those things. Just because you think you are wise doesn’t mean that you can’t be fooled, so please don’t judge the young people.

As for everyone else, i’m trying, i really am. I’m going through all my cD’s later today to listen to the content and if I see something thta is in any reference blasphemous, it’s gone. I’m doing this with open eyes. But I’m not going to throw out every CD i own just because it’s secular. Secular music is not evil.
Thank you all for your concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back