Seventh Day Adventists

• Thread starter Thread starter shannin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
But it is not a book nor the words contained therein which give me life.
It is a real and living person…Jesus Christ, The God-man, The Word made flesh who gives me life and with whom I have a living day to day relationship.
And you learn about Him by reading your Bible, for as Jesus said, they testify of Me. Just as the HS inspired the writers so it will work within you to become a Living Word, to bring forth good fruit as long as you maintain your connection with the Living Vine, Jesus Christ.

And you learn about Him by reading your Bible, for as Jesus said, they testify of Me. Just as the HS inspired the writers so it will work within you to become a Living Word, to bring forth good fruit as long as you maintain your connection with the Living Vine, Jesus Christ.
And how do you maintain your connection with the Living Vine, Jesus Christ?

God bless all!!!

Originally Posted by djconklin
And how do you maintain your connection with the Living Vine, Jesus Christ?

You maintain your connection with the Living Vine, Jesus Christ through prayer and reading/studying your Bible.

Here’s an interesting trivia one for you: read Exodus 30:23 and see what you can learn from it.

Now all you have to do is show what I said was an interpretation vs. biblical. Sometime Saturday nite I’ll have my computer back up and running and I’ll check then to see what the Bible texts say word-for-word and then we’ll compare that with what I said.

Now all you have to do is show what I said was an interpretation vs. biblical. Sometime Saturday nite I’ll have my computer back up and running and I’ll check then to see what the Bible texts say word-for-word and then we’ll compare that with what I said.
I don’t have to show anything. If I understand you, you are trying to use John 1:1 to nullify the Catholic understanding of John 6, and that demands interpretation of Biblical verses which leads to your interpretation being your opinion. Forgive me if I failed to understand your points on this matter.

You maintain your connection with the Living Vine, Jesus Christ through prayer and reading/studying your Bible.

Here’s an interesting trivia one for you: read Exodus 30:23 and see what you can learn from it.
Exodus 30:23 (King James Version)
Take thou also unto thee principal spices, of pure myrrh five hundred shekels, and of sweet cinnamon half so much, even two hundred and fifty shekels, and of sweet calamus two hundred and fifty shekels,
Okay, so what’s the great secret contained in this verse?? It is part of a formula for making the ointment used to anoint the tabernacle and the ark of the covenant and Aaron and the priests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djconklin
Quote:
Exodus 30:23 (King James Version)
Take thou also unto thee principal spices, of pure myrrh five hundred shekels, and of sweet cinnamon half so much, even two hundred and fifty shekels, and of sweet calamus two hundred and fifty shekels,
Okay, so what’s the great secret contained in this verse?? It is part of a formula for making the ointment used to anoint the tabernacle and the ark of the covenant and Aaron and the priests.
I’d be willing to bet that you are one of the very few who actually looked at the verse–and you told us which version you used!

Now, ask yourself this: where’d they get the cinnamon from? And think about what it took to do that back around 1500B.C…

You claimed that what I said was my “interpretation.” The burden of proof lies with you.

That is the wise way to start doing things.
It was an interpretation, how could it be anything else? You read, and your mind interprets what these words mean to you. Everything is interpretation. Why be so defensive?

It was an interpretation, how could it be anything else?
You have to show that what I said was an interpretation vs a distillation of Bible texts.
Everything is interpretation.
If I say 2+2=4 is that an interpretation?
Why be so defensive?
I’m not, but I am being attacked.

Where is the interpretation in what I said:

“OTOH, the Bible teaches that spiritual things are spiritually discerned. Jesus said that we are to read the Scriptures for they show us the path to life. Paul said that are we are search the Scriptures (like the Bereans, who were considered “noble” because they did so) for they testify of Him and were written for our admonition.”

Here are texts I was referring to:

John 5:39
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

1 Corinthians 2:14
The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Acts 17:11
Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

1 Corinthians 10:11
Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Yes, I agree that we maintain a connection with the Living Vine, Jesus Christ through prayer, reading and studying the Bible. But in considering being connected to a Living Vine, what sort of connection is what you describe? Is there more involved to be connected to the Living Vine than praying to Jesus and reading and studying about Him?

What you describe is a connection to the Living Vine by being associated to it, but not a part of it.

For example, If I were a botonist studying a living vine growing in the woods, I could read about it, I could write about it, I could even sit in its proximity and talk to it. I am connected to that living vine in a closer way than those who do not go into the woods with me and do those things with the vine. I am closely associated to the vine…connected to it in ways that others are not, who do not share my interest and devotion to understanding the vine in the ways that I do. And yet my connection with that living vine is not full and complete. I would have to become that vine myself, or a part of that vegetation that I am studying to be completely connected with it.

Now, to Jesus who said that He was the Living Vine that we must be connected to in order to bear the fruit of that Living Vine. He tells us that we must not only study about that Living Vine, but that we must become a part of that Living Vine. That the sap that flows from the roots and through that vine, giving it life, must somehow flow through us in order to be a part of that vine.

My scripture quotes are from the King James Version.

Jesus said:
**John 15
1I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

2Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

3Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

5I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. **

Paul said:
**Romans 11:16-18
16For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.

17And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;

18Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.**

Jesus points out that to be a branch on the vine and receive nourishment from the root and therefore live and bear good fruit, that He must abide in us and we must abide in Him.

So how do we get The Living Vine’s sap to flow through us and become a living part of that Living Vine…to be so fully and completely connected with the Living Vine that we have its sap flowing through us as branches?

Of course Jesus being the Living Vine, does not have sap flowing through Him. But as God become man, retaining His divinity…as The Word of God made flesh…what is the “sap” that flows through Him which gives us life? Is it not His life giving blood that was shed for us upon the cross?

So how do we become fully and completely connected with Jesus, The Living Vine? How do have a connection with Him, The Living Vine, which is deeper than merely an association of looking at Him, talking to Him, and studying about Him? How do we become one with Him and have that life giving “sap”, and not just His blood, but His entire being flowing into us to give us life and make us a fruitful living branch fully connect to the Living Vine?

Amazing that we go back to what Jesus Himself told the multitudes as to how He abides or dwells in us and we in Him…which sounds very similar to what He said in John 15 above.

Jesus said:
**John 6
51I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

52The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?

53Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

54Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

55For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

56He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.**

This is the miracle that God performs to bring us fully and completely into oneness with Him and with each other. By eating His Living flesh and drinking His Living blood as He commanded, in the mystery of The Lord’s Supper, we enter eternal life with Jesus because we are completely connected to The True Living Vine, and we are truely The Living Body of Christ…The Church.

1 Corinthians 2:14
The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

God bless all!!!

What you describe is a connection to the Living Vine by being associated to it, but not a part of it.
Nice try. But, the Bible says we are in Christ, not merely associated with Christ. Note that you then quote Scripture–thereby supporting what I have been saying.

You have to show that what I said was an interpretation vs a distillation of Bible texts.

If I say 2+2=4 is that an interpretation?

I’m not, but I am being attacked.

Where is the interpretation in what I said: (end quote)

If you say 2+2=4, yes, it is an interpretation. A correct interpetation of the information given in 2+2. Someone else may say 2+2=5. They would have an incorrect interpretation of the information give in 2+2.
With Bible verses, many people have many different interpretations of what they mean. Which are correct? That is a decision we all have to make. I choose the Catholic Church because it seems logical to me that Jesus would leave an organization in place so that we all wouldn’t be going off in our own directions.
Code:
 It was not my intention to attack you. I ask your forgiveness.

With Bible verses, many people have many different interpretations of what they mean. Which are correct?
You read them, and ask God to guide you–just like the Bereans of NT times. Jesus promised that He would send the HS to guide us and I trust Him to do just that.
That is a decision we all have to make. I choose the Catholic Church because it seems logical to me that Jesus would leave an organization in place so that we all wouldn’t be going off in our own directions.
“The body of Christ” (Col. 2:17) isn’t a denomination. Which is why in SDA churches the pastor will quite literally chew out the congreagation and tell them that there will be more people in other denominations in heaven than SDA’s–and not just because of sheer numbers wither, but because they are living up to the light they know and too many SDA’s aren’t.
It was not my intention to attack you. I ask your forgiveness.
You are forgiven. It may be that I’m so used to be attacked that I assumed that your labeling of my digest of Bible verses as an “interpretation” was an attack. I don’t do interpretations. I do do an exegesis to understand the biblical texts. I will not lie to you.

I’d be willing to bet that you are one of the very few who actually looked at the verse–and you told us which version you used!

Now, ask yourself this: where’d they get the cinnamon from? And think about what it took to do that back around 1500B.C…
dj,
I haven’t the time (nor the inclination) to play a guessing game with you. If you have information you’d like to share, please share it.

Thanks for your reply. I am hurt and concerned that the 7th Day Adventist on 3ABN preach such hateful messages directed at the Pope and all Catholics. I started watching that network, not realizing what it was, because they do have some excellent cooking shows. After I heard a few of those horrible sermons that are given against MY FAITH, I ofcourse, don’t turn it on anymore.
I find it interesting that Catholics are being taught to characterize objections to their beliefs as “hateful” “venemous” and other such things. In the description about the book advertised here as the Essential Catholic Survival Guide, it is stated like this:
With the recent election of our current pope, a new wave of attacks is under way by the enemies of the Catholic Church. From this point forward, every Catholic will come face-to-face with the vicious anti-Catholic attacks that are being launched against the faith.
Use of sensationalistic words such as “viscious” are becoming a favorite by many Catholics, and not just in referring to Adventists either. I have also had the same such characterizations levelled at me many times here on this forum over a three year period; and have been accused of such things as “contempt for Catholicism.”

This is the kind of thing that proves Catholics actually do not understand Adventists at all; even those former Adventists who have become Catholic show by the same types of comments that they never did really understand correctly our beliefs.

It is not “hate” or “visciousness” or any such thing, just because we have different religious views. While it may be a contest between “right and wrong” or “truth and error;” it is very unfair, and very wrong to put all objections under the blanket of hatred or being viscious. People on this forum have stated that they know some Adventists who are very Christ-like, yet they also know what we believe. Those are the ones who are closest to understanding us.

even those former Adventists who have become Catholic show by the same types of comments that they never did really understand correctly our beliefs.
That would be putting the best face on it. In some cases what some ex-SDA’s say we believe indicate to me that they never were SDA’s in the 1st place or are deliberately distorting what we say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back