Y
Well the Churches they often leave for have espresso bars so they can sip their latte while listening to a good praise band and an good sermon. There is an entertainment quality to these services–they are in some sense productions. The Church will talk about the missionaries they sponsor and what they are accomplishing, they will talk about the good they are doing in the community. They will talk about how to apply the scripture to their everyday lives. The people feel involved and see it as relevant to their everyday lives–just by going–not to mentioned “entertained.” They go --at least initially–because they get “something”.This is so puzzling to me. I have seen many, many Catholics who never were seen at Mass leave for other denominations, where they seem so enthusiastic. How to explain this?
I think it is partially in the way it is preached and lived. I think many people both young and old are looking to make a difference–to give back–to give meaning to their lives --looking for the truth. There is a book and study series that has gone through many protestant churches called “Not a Fan” that is, I think, about this very thing. It seems to have been very popular and drawn many to live out there faith in a committed and transforming way.There’s no one reason, it varies from one individual to another. But here’s some reasons:
- We live in the “Me generation”. People say “I need to go where I’m going to be fed”. The whole idea of dying to self, of the call to take up one’s cross, is unpopular. Catholic (and Protestant) churches that preach the cross are losing people.
Amen.The solution is prayer.
And broke his vow of chastity when he married a former nun who also broke her vows as a result.The Lutheran denomination was started by a Catholic Augustinian monk named Martin Luther. He was a consecrated member of a Catholic religious order under solemn vows.
He broke the solemn vows he had made to God, de-nominated himself from the Catholic faith and started his own Church outside of the authority of the Church which he vowed to God that he would obey.
-Tim-
Oddly I came to the same conclusion despite my own confusion. I want to take the Church with me daily, and all day if possible. I simply don’t want to visit as that suggests that I live elsewhere other than with the mind of the Church.So Jesus said to the twelve, “You do not want to go away also, do you?” Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life.…
That’s Reformation Sunday, and all us Lutherans wear red and sing Luther’s “A Mighty Fortress is Our God.” At my church, we also have beer and brats after the serviceAnd the Reformation honors them every year on October 31.
Exactly – there is growth, so for the Lutherans, one wonders when Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture will be appreciated as the Catholic Church appreciates them, and at the lack of the Magisterium from Christ.TimothyH #80
Seventeen million people joined the worldwide Catholic Church in 2009. That’s more than the entire population of the Southern Baptist Convention.
YADA #81
zenit.org/en/articles/number-of-catholics-on-the-rise
This ^. Another poster earlier said Catholics who leave never took their faith seriously. That’s not necessarily true. They may know Catholic teachings but simply came to not believe in enough of them, coming to realize the Catholic faith isn’t their faith.There are also many Catholic teachings and traditions they simply reject.
For example. Many people really are ok with using contraception, or gays getting married. They know the Church’s teachings on these things, reject that teaching, and find a place where those things simply are not issues.
Such occurrences cannot be justified as we know what the Christ taught, founding His Church on Peter:Sy Noe #91
Another poster earlier said Catholics who leave never took their faith seriously. That’s not necessarily true. They may know Catholic teachings but simply came to not believe in enough of them, coming to realize the Catholic faith isn’t their faith.
Unfortunately, ignorance and/or selfism is not easily gotten over. There is a need for humble honesty to overcome either or both. Even then, one may be humble and honest, and still not see the Truth. I always remember how long it took someone as humble and honest as John Henry Newman to come to the Catholic Faith.How could these commands be fulfilled if Peter or his successors could TEACH error? What is involved is ignorance and/or selfism.
Indeed they can’t be justified when you have faith in Catholic interpretations and don’t believe humans could ever have strayed to the point where reform was needed. It still takes some degree of faith regardless either way.Such occurrences cannot be justified as we know what the Christ taught, founding His Church on Peter:
All four promises to Peter alone:
“You are Peter and on this rock I will build My Church.” (Mt 16:18)
“The gates of hell will not prevail against it.”(Mt 16:18)
I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven." ( Mt 16:19)
“Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven.” (Mt 16:19) [Later to the Twelve].
Sole authority:
“Strengthen your brethren.” (Lk 22:32)
“Feed My sheep.”(Jn 21:17).
How could these commands be fulfilled if Peter or his successors could TEACH error? What is involved is ignorance and/or selfism.
That’s really hard to say. I was a devout Catholic & altar boy of my parish in elementary school. By the time I completed my college prep Catholic high school, I pretty much went to church on Christmas & Easter (if that) & “sort-of” observed Lent. I started getting back to my church in my late 20’s to early 30’s, but still, the Mass left me empty inside. I have always known that the readings were from the Old & New Testaments, followed by a reading from the Gospel. But the literally 5-10 explanation by out pastor on Sunday really left me feeling spiritually “empty” inside, just as it did when I was younger. When I started attending Bible study years later, as well as attending a Protestant church that spent 40 minutes of the service explaining Scripture - in addition to the reading from Scripture, & in addition to the songs & hymns sung. As a result, I began to really understand Scripture, & even started attending Sunday School before the actual service, which lasted an hour.Sounds like you’ve found a great bible study. I think Catholics would benefit from attending Sunday School like the Protestants do, but mass is not a Bible Study. It is the re-presentation of the one sacrifice of Calvary, and it is about WORSHIP - not listening to a speaker teaching.
Did you ever go to mass? Then you were being taught “scripture” even if you never opened the Bible, because the mass is chock full of readings and passages of scripture are woven into the prayers, etc.
And, of course, you WERE being fed the Word, Jesus, who is present in the Eucharist. Not something you can get in the symbolic ritual of a Protestant assembly.
What year did you leave the Church and how old were you at the time?
No offense, but isn’t this statement a bit presumptous & a somewhat of circular reasoning? Wouldn’t a better assessment be that the particular teaching should be assessed to whether or not it matches or conflicts with the Word of God, based on proper Biblical hermeneutics, which should be based on a proper translation of the text from the original languages of Hebrew, Aramaic, & Greek? If so, the church I attend employs sound Biblical hermeneutics.unfortunately, when you are taught scripture in a protestant church, you’re getting the interpretation of that particular denomination, or even pastor, because there is no central authority from Christ. it can possibly lead to wrong thinking and beliefs.![]()
Then why when I was Catholic I left Mass spiritually empty, yet when I left my Protestant church I didn’t? And, BTW, worship of Christ is involved during Bible study. How can you worship Someone you don’t understand or truly know? Also, there’s a difference between Bible study & a sermon. Since I’ve been to churches that do both, that’s why I know the difference. And the Homily in my old Catholic church really did neither. I don’t call a 5-10 minute Homily adequate enough to edify, at least not after my experience from Protestant churches I’ve attended since then.You sound like a Catholic who was praising a local protestant church to me as we were leaving Mass one Sunday - They were extolling how much scripture their sermon contained and who asked me ***“Why don’t we ever hear about the bible at Mass?” … ***
I replied that “The Mass was full of the scriptures from the opening prayer to the final blessing and what did they think the First Reading, Psalm, Second Reading and Gospel were - they’re Scriptures” …
They replied - ***“That’s not the Bible - that’s the Missal” ***…
I am flabbergastedand embarrassed for them
Truth is … as a non Catholic - I heard many sermons - some focused on Scriptures - mostly those ‘favorite’ passages of the pastor - especially at the “Bible” churches … they are not required to address the entire bible - the local pastor gets to select what passages they want to preach on … you only hear a passage quoted in the sermon - most do not have scripture readings proclaimed [though some of the liturgical mainline churches do]. The pastors of the mainline liturgical churches can follow the Cycle of Readings - but they are able to change them if they desire and focus instead on another topic …
Also - there is a difference in a “Sermon” and a “Homily” in my experience with Sermons in my non-Catholic churches and the Homily since I became a Catholic. I would explain the differences this way.
A sermon uses scriptural passages to explain and or support an idea – for example if you want to focus on the “end of times” – you would talk about the state of the world today and how we are spiraling towards the advent of the Anti-Christ and then select the passages to support that idea. Or if a pastor wants to focus on a particular sin [adultery or drunkenness] he preaches on how sinful that is – and quotes passages in support … it uses Scriptures a the witness of the message.
The homily is a commentary on some part of Scripture Readings of the day. The purpose is to explain the literal meaning and develop the spiritual meaning in order to provide a context and or a reflection on the scripture reading that is designed to make the passages relevant/pertinent to our life today. Basically, the homily uses the message or meaning of the passage from the time it was written and attempts to contextualize it for the modern hearer.
Also as other posters have noted - non Catholic Services are more related to Bible Study in focus - not worship … The Mass is focused on worship of Christ.
Your candid answers are very helpful. But there are some simple explanations (as you yourself admit) as to why you went down the path you did.Then why when I was Catholic I left Mass spiritually empty, yet when I left my Protestant church I didn’t? And, BTW, worship of Christ is involved during Bible study. How can you worship Someone you don’t understand or truly know? Also, there’s a difference between Bible study & a sermon. Since I’ve been to churches that do both, that’s why I know the difference. And the Homily in my old Catholic church really did neither. I don’t call a 5-10 minute Homily adequate enough to edify, at least not after my experience from Protestant churches I’ve attended since then.
Your candid answers are very helpful. But there are some simple explanations (as you yourself admit) as to why you went down the path you did.
First, you drifted away from Catholicism in your HS/College years. That is unfortunately a statistical reality for a great many Catholics.
Second, you had a reawakening to Religion in your late twenties. That is also very typical, as one begins to take responsibility for a family and other signs of maturity.
Third, the Protestant church you found helped you to understand a lot about Christianity that you just never saw before. Again, very normal.
But now the troubling part.
Because you are grateful and feeling as though SOMEONE has finally taken the time to help you understand your Faith in Jesus Christ and even helped you to grow in that Faith, you are naturally inclined to be more loyal to that church, while at the same time you can’t help wondering why your Catholic Faith was so empty and unhelpful to you. Your new church of course, has ready answers for you on this score.
This is a story that is repeated millions upon millions of times across the West. It is the very reason for this thread.
But there is another side to this coin. The side where DEVOUT Protestants who have studied history, theology and the Bible, are nagged by certain inconsistencies, and even sometimes errors in their church (and other Protestant churches.) They are the ones who upon much more study and reflection turn to Catholicism, and THEN become the most convincing apologists for the Truth of Catholicism.
Catholicism takes work. A lot of the work is “home work.” IOW, you won’t be spoon fed doctrine, the Bible and other matters at Mass. Catholics need to understand their Faith deeply. SOMETIMES, it actually helps to worship as a Protestant for a while to get your Catholic Faith in perspective.
But the danger is that while a Protestant, you will become content and feel entitled to be spoon-fed all of your religion. (a consumerist view of religion, if you will.) Instead, keep the progress moving! Continue to study religion, its history, the reformation, Theology etc. Question your new found Protestant church with as much diligence as you questioned your Catholic faith.
Ask why the Sacraments were dispensed with after 1500 years. Ask why Apostolic succession matters. Ask why the Eucharist is CENTRAL to the Catholic Faith. But don’t JUST ask your new found Protestant friends. Ask knowledgeable Catholics, and read up.
You have Apostatized from Catholicism. It is not something you should do on a whim, or because you “feel” better where you are now. The Truth isn’t always pleasant, nor is Christianity meant to be comfortable.