Source: Trump still not grasping the severity of the pandemic

  • Thread starter Thread starter RidgeSprinter
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Police that enforce public safety - what a novel concept.
I imagine it is easier in a country that doesn’t value freedom in the same way that those in the United States do.
I get run off the road by people exercising their freedom to drive as fast as they want many mornings. I am quite will to have police curtail freedom that affect the lives of other.
 
Are you really unfamiliar with the concept of a state of emergency?
 
Last edited:
So what if Italy only has 42 ICU cases in the whole country? Do you realize how their country was ravaged by covid-19 and they were the hot spot in Europe for
many months? Have you forgotten that?

You can’t control peoples habits and actions. They come out and advise people what to do during the pandemic. Not everyone listens. Most everyone is wearing masks now and people are still getting sick.

If you really believe 160,000 dead could have been avoided - there is no use having a discussion.

I don’t trust any of the numbers and I won’t waste my time reading an article
from a worthless newspaper like the New York Times.
 
If you really believe 160,000 dead could have been avoided - there is no use having a discussion.
If Trump had acted earlier and stricter (like the countries who got the virus under control) then 160,000 would be substantially lower.
 
May I ask, what is the confusing part of this? Is your contention that the pandemic doesn’t constitute an emergency, and that it’s being exaggerated by the authorities in order to seize power?
 
May I ask, what is the confusing part of this?
One confusing thing is your seeming unwillingness to define the terms.
You initially appear to approve of basic freedoms being curtailed during a state of emergency.
I may actually agree with this.
Or perhaps not.
I need to know we are on the same page.

I have never given thought to this pandemic being a state of emergency. Clearly you have, so specify. What exactly do you call a state of emergency.
 
https://www.whitehouse.gov/presiden...-novel-coronavirus-disease-covid-19-outbreak/

”NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including sections 201 and 301 of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq .) and consistent with section 1135 of the Social Security Act (SSA), as amended (42 U.S.C. 1320b-5), do hereby find and proclaim that the COVID-19 outbreak in the United States constitutes a national emergency, beginning March 1, 2020. Pursuant to this declaration, I direct as follows:“

Does it settle it now?
 
Last edited:
Does it settle it now?
Well, it does outline the outline the US response.
But I believe the argument was that it was not enough, that we must restrict people’s freedoms more. In fact, they wish to hold Canada as the standard that we should strive towards.

And I am still confused as to the basis of that.
What exactly calls for that suspension of basic rights?
 
Better discuss your question about basic rights among Americans but that comes from the White House…
I just looked it up
 
Last edited:
You doubted or argued a state of “emergency”. There is your answer signed by your president.
 
Last edited:
Truly an argument based upon nothing.
This is similar to those authors that write alternative history fiction.
There isn’t much there but one man’s guess.
Its based on Trump’s only answer when he is asked what action he took. He says he banned travel to/from China. Of course he still allowed more than 40,000 US citizens and green card holders to come in from China without quarantining them.
What did he do in February? Nothing at all.
He was also late in banning travel to/from Europe which is actually where the virus came to New york from and not directly from China.

Anyway please tell me what action Trump took in February which was the crucial time.
 
If you really believe 160,000 dead could have been avoided - there is no use having a discussion.
My parents, I guess, were wrong to come here.

The deaths to this scale were avoided in other countries.

I mentioned 42 icu cases in Italy because they were the epicenter. And were able to flatten the curve to 42 icu cases.

Now months later we are the epicenter. We had a head start and squandered it.

Ignore the article.

🤷‍♀️
 
Last edited:
I know that when all the college students come back from Europe after being told to, they went through the airports. No testing at arrival.

Airport security is under the office homeland security, which is under the control of the federal government.
 
So what if Italy only has 42 ICU cases in the whole country? Do you realize how their country was ravaged by covid-19 and they were the hot spot in Europe for
many months? Have you forgotten that?
That is exactly the point. They went from being an epicenter of the outbreak to having only 42 cases through taking strong unified action - the kind of action we have refused to take.
You can’t control peoples habits and actions.
The experience of Italy shows that you can control actions and habits with effective leadership.
I don’t trust any of the numbers and I won’t waste my time reading an article
from a worthless newspaper like the New York Times.
Seems like people distrust numbers they don’t like. Which authoritative source do you use instead?
 
All right, you don’t consider it an emergency. Understood. (I feel odd giving a definition of emergency when you clearly know what it is but since you asked, I’d define it as a situation in which urgent action is needed to prevent a catastrophic outcome.)

If you don’t regard the pandemic as an emergency, we’ll have to agree to disagree. I think most people do regard it as an emergency.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top