Spanking may be linked to later mental disorders

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gift_from_God
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously you don’t have children. How do you have a civil conversation with a two year old trying to put the cat in the toilet?🙂
Well, clearly, the cat must also be spanked, for tempting the innocent child in the first place!
 
I would simply stand back and let it happen. That kid will never try such a thing again. LOL
Videos from the French adaptation of America’s Funniest Videos come to mind rather vividly! A cat and water does not a happy marriage make.
 
  1. Let’s have a study to see if physical punishment is bad for a child.
  2. Let’s define physical punishment as- as pushing, grabbing, shoving, slapping and hitting in the absence of more severe maltreatment of a child through physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, physical neglect, emotional neglect or exposure to intimate partner violence.
  3. Let’s ignore the fact that our definition already concludes that physical punishment is bad [see implication bolded above]. and be shocked that our findings conclude that physical punishment is bad for a child.
  4. Print findings, hope know one thinks about how we define physical punishment.
  5. Start working on a study which shows that correcting your child in a mild voice [defined as- telling your child they did wrong in the absence of more sever maltreatment like physical punishment] is bad.
 
True. Much like letting them play with the electric outlet kind of solves itself too.
Or better still, give them a dull knife, see them insert it in the outlet and see blood coming out of the ears.
 
I was spanked as a child. I believe my father was right in doing so. On top of that, he applied spanking rarely and followed a very strict set of rules.
  1. When a child does something bad, take them aside and explain to them it is wrong and why it is wrong.
  2. Explain to the child he will receive punishment if he does it again.
  3. Explain the punishment (no television, no friends over, chores, etc).
  4. Afterwards, explain if wrong is committed a second time after punishment, then spanking will be applied.
  5. First offense spanking - 2 - 5 pops with the hand in the behind. Second offense spanking - 10 pops. (and these were not hits… they made more noise then they hurt)
  6. Third offense spanking - the belt (which he never used but waved around to make his point).
  7. All spanking will be followed up by appropriate punishment as mentioned in step 3.
I only got to second offense spanking once. Believe me when I tell you I deserved it royally.

The point being is that my father did everything he could to avoid spanking, and then he made it so spanking was not the end all punishment (as some boys don’t care if they get spanked as a punishment).

Trust me, I got into very little trouble as a kid. If only some of my classmates had experienced the same thing, then maybe a few of them might be alive or out of jail today.
 
cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/06/29/spanking-mental-health-drug-abuse.html A civil conversation goes a long way, hitting someone doesn’t
Example from personal experience: In law enforcement, civil discussions with the childish often did not produce good fruit. Tasing them universally produced obedience, if not exactly respect, and avoided many of the physical and psychological pitfalls of employing the discipline of the standardized police beat-down.

I know this is not helpful. It’s just true.
 
Having worked with children that have actually suffered physical abuse I find many of the posts here sad. Some people have no idea what abuse is and what discipline is.

Just the same - their ignorance on the damage verbal abuse can do to a child can fill volumes.
 
You would physically harm a two-year old with no sense of right or wrong? I find that cruel
If your 2 year old is physically harmed due to you swatting him/her then you need to take some anger management and parenting classes. Swat /= beat. Swat = apply enough force to get their full attention without causing harm. For a 2 year old the amount of force you should be applying would be less then the amount of force you apply when giving your buddy a “high five” while watching a sports game.
 
Example from personal experience: In law enforcement, civil discussions with the childish often did not produce good fruit. Tasing them universally produced obedience, if not exactly respect, and avoided many of the physical and psychological pitfalls of employing the discipline of the standardized police beat-down.

I know this is not helpful. It’s just true.
Best advice my mother gave me regarding children:

If you find yourself trying to reason with a two year old you’ve already lost.
 
Best advice my mother gave me regarding children:

If you find yourself trying to reason with a two year old you’ve already lost.
I have to wonder now…

Just how many two year olds ARE posting on the internet these days?!?! That would explain a lot of discussions I’ve read over the years. :whistle:
 
True. Much like letting them play with the electric outlet kind of solves itself too.
Well, no. The cat may maim the child, but it won’t kill her. That’s what outlet covers are for.
 
If all this Dr. Spock garbage or reassuring your child, and “talking” with them, and giving them praise and never spanking them, and telling them “Everyone’s a winner!”

…Then why are our children more drug-using, porn-obsessed, mentally unstable, slothful, suicidal and socially defecient than all the previous generations who were all spanked.

…I don’t know, I think grandpa’s generation was raised better than today’s kids who are raised to be “little Nero’s” because their parents put the world around them. 🤷

Just my opinion as a childless father and wifeless husband. 😃
 
If all this Dr. Spock garbage or reassuring your child, and “talking” with them, and giving them praise and never spanking them, and telling them “Everyone’s a winner!”

…Then why are our children more drug-using, porn-obsessed, mentally unstable, slothful, suicidal and socially defecient than all the previous generations who were all spanked.

…I don’t know, I think grandpa’s generation was raised better than today’s kids who are raised to be “little Nero’s” because their parents put the world around them. 🤷

Just my opinion as a childless father and wifeless husband. 😃
But you’re gonna be great one day! Even get a trophy for it!

😃

You can do anything you want! Ha ha ha. I knew you’d LOL at that one.
 
For most people, spanking for educational purposes is a mediocre rationalization at best.
You would physically harm a two-year old with no sense of right or wrong? I find that cruel
I have spanked. It is not mediocre rationalization. I do not believe anyone here knows better the proper means of raising children than the Holy Spirit. If a modern psychologist disagrees with the Bible, I will side with the Bible.

Why do people here think they should have even the slightest say in how other parents raise their children? Tend to your own and let others tend to theirs.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top