A
ansel123
Guest
vern humphrey:
Violence in prison can be dealt with apart from the death penalty. Are you saying that is really is no other solution than the death penalty? What if we increased funding and resources for prisons, reduced overcrowding, and hired more staff as an alternative to putting people to death?
vern humphrey:
vern humphrey:
vern humphrey:
If you are very familiar with the case, is there really nothing that could have been done to prevent Silverstein from killing? Were no mistakes made by the prison officials? Could any policy changes have prevented him from killing?
vern humphrey:
Vern, all I am arguing for is that the state act consistently with our Church’s ethic of life. According to the Church’s teachings, the state has a moral obligation to show that the death penalty really is necessary. This isn’t part of process now. I am also arguing that we have an obligation to give our corrections officers the budget and resources they need to do their job safely so that we do not need in any case to resort to the death penalty. We must avoid taking life at all costs.
So if we execute everyone on death row, how much less dangerous will prison be for corrections officers? Vern, you know that prison is dangerous regardless of the presence of capital offenders. Guards and other prisons get hurt every day.And now people who think they know better – without ever setting foot inside a prison – want to increase the danger Corrections Officers face…
Violence in prison can be dealt with apart from the death penalty. Are you saying that is really is no other solution than the death penalty? What if we increased funding and resources for prisons, reduced overcrowding, and hired more staff as an alternative to putting people to death?
vern humphrey:
I agree that the incentives set up are difficult. But there are other deterrents besides the death penalty.I The problem is that a man who has murdered twice, and received two life sentences without parole has no reason not to murder again, if he can only receive another life sentence.
vern humphrey:
I haven’t callously dismissed anything. If you want to debate, let’s be fair to each other. I would assume since we are both on this Catholic board that we both have concern for people’s safety. I understand the dangers corrections officers knowingly face when they go into work each day. We should all support giving them the money and resources they need to do their job more safely. Taking life is not the answer in almost all cases.I I agree that you have the right to callously dismiss the dangers Corrections Officers face. I don’t agree that you are right when you do it.
vern humphrey:
I can be more clear in what I meant. By facts, I meant adjudicative facts that went into the trial or plea - the nitty gritty fact-finding.I How do you think I have the facts of the Silverstein case at my fingertips?
Are you suggesting that you, who never heard of Tommy Silverstein until I mentioned him, know more about him and his case than I do?
Have you made an investigation into my expertise in prisons?
(I was part of a team that did work on this case under contract to the Federal Bureau of Prisons.)
If you are very familiar with the case, is there really nothing that could have been done to prevent Silverstein from killing? Were no mistakes made by the prison officials? Could any policy changes have prevented him from killing?
vern humphrey:
Trials, judges, and juries are exactly what I meant by the word PROCEDURE. Since sentencing is bifurcated from the guilt phase of the trial, I am suggesting that the legislatures require inquiries into alternative penal arrangements to conclude that the death penalty is absolutely necessary during the sentencing phase.I And do away with trials, judges and juries?
Vern, all I am arguing for is that the state act consistently with our Church’s ethic of life. According to the Church’s teachings, the state has a moral obligation to show that the death penalty really is necessary. This isn’t part of process now. I am also arguing that we have an obligation to give our corrections officers the budget and resources they need to do their job safely so that we do not need in any case to resort to the death penalty. We must avoid taking life at all costs.