S
seekerz
Guest
I pray he went prepared. May God have mercy on his soul.Lawrence Brewer was executed last night.
I pray he went prepared. May God have mercy on his soul.Lawrence Brewer was executed last night.
From what I read he made no final statement. So I hope he was repentant.I pray he went prepared. May God have mercy on his soul.
Quite the opposite of repentant actually.From what I read he made no final statement. So I hope he was repentant.
That crime is so awful… its hard to even read what James Byrd went through.
OMG. That is sickening and evil.Quite the opposite of repentant actually.
“As far as any regrets, no, I have no regrets,” Brewer says. “No, I’d do it all over again, to tell you the truth.”
khou.com/news/crime/The-Texas-murder-that-shook-America–130176288.html
And yet James Byrd’s son forgave him and requested that his life be spared. What an amazing example of forgiveness.Quite the opposite of repentant actually.
“As far as any regrets, no, I have no regrets,” Brewer says. “No, I’d do it all over again, to tell you the truth.”
khou.com/news/crime/The-Texas-murder-that-shook-America–130176288.html
Not only that but Dick Gregory showed up to protest his execution. , Gregory really emulates principaled opposition to the death penalty- condemning it even against evil people who have committed heinous crimesAnd yet James Byrd’s son forgave him and requested that his life be spared. What an amazing example of forgiveness.
Wow.Not only that but Dick Gregory showed up to protest his execution. , Gregory really emulates principaled opposition to the death penalty- condemning it even against evil people who have committed heinous crimes
Nor can the death of one of their future victims in or out of prison be corrected. Whether to call that something opponents “conveniently overlook” or not, their victims will be maimed, raped or dead, and banning the death penalty will trade the life of the next victim for that of the murderer; making the innocent pay for the moral satisfaction gained by letting the guilty off.This is the point that those who favor the death penalty conveniently overlook. An error can’t be corrected post-execution.
And yet the victim’s son opposed the execution. God bless him; I hope I could do the same.Quite the opposite of repentant actually.
“As far as any regrets, no, I have no regrets,” Brewer says. “No, I’d do it all over again, to tell you the truth.”
khou.com/news/crime/The-Texas-murder-that-shook-America–130176288.html
What would have been deterred by executing those who were proven innocent 10 or 20 years after conviction? Is the risk of executing an innocent person “worth it”? And if your answer is yes, would you feel the same if that innocent person were your relative or friend?Nor can the death of one of their future victims in or out of prison be corrected. Whether to call that something opponents “conveniently overlook” or not, their victims will be maimed, raped or dead, and banning the death penalty will trade the life of the next victim for that of the murderer; making the innocent pay for the moral satisfaction gained by letting the guilty off.
Look at the post about Brewer’s comment; that he would do it all again. Is there good reason to doubt that? And if it is not doubted, can it really be doubted that someday that’s exactly what he would have done?
Is deterrence no longer to be considered a proper basis for punitive actions?
I did not say this is an easy thing. It isn’t. But given the prison system we have, killers are not deterred. It seems to me this whole question of ending the death penalty is, at this time, more properly an argument for massively increasing the expenditures on prisons so they really are secure against the violent.What would have been deterred by executing those who were proven innocent 10 or 20 years after conviction? Is the risk of executing an innocent person “worth it”? And if your answer is yes, would you feel the same if that innocent person were your relative or friend?
:ehh:People escape from prison all the time. Shouldn’t the people in the prison have some protection too?

DNA testing of evidence, proving that the “evidence” was not the DNA of the convicted person, is hardly “anecdotal.” Especially to those finally released.I realize there are those anecdotal stories about this person or that who was “found innocent” years after the fact. I don’t think we, here, really know enough to know who all really was innocent. I don’t think anybody could possibly know without reviewing all the evidence, not just snippets taken from here or there. Some say that in recent years there were none.
prodeathpenalty.com/dp.html
I agree. Something doesn’t seem right when DNA evidence can be used to put a person to death, but when used for exoneration it can be referred to as anecdotal.DNA testing of evidence, proving that the “evidence” was not the DNA of the convicted person, is hardly “anecdotal.” Especially to those finally released.
It happens from time to time. The Briley brothers is one case that comes to mind. The greater danger posed to other inmates.:ehh:
Could you tell us how many persons serving a life sentence in the US escaped from prison last year?
Probably not, but I find it difficult to reconcile forgiveness and wanting to see someone dead - even if that means injecting them with drugs manufactured for use in animals!I don’t think forgiving someone and believing that the death penalty is still an appropriate consequence for their actions and safeguard to society are mutually exclusive.
People are not punished, and certainly not executed, for what they may do in the future. It has happened that criminals in prison are sometimes repentant of their crimes and are converted to righteousness. It is possible to believe that Mr. Brewer would not have committed murder again, even if he wanted, as long as he was incarcerated. In fact, many murderer’s who are incarcerated never commit another murder.Nor can the death of one of their future victims in or out of prison be corrected. Whether to call that something opponents “conveniently overlook” or not, their victims will be maimed, raped or dead, and banning the death penalty will trade the life of the next victim for that of the murderer; making the innocent pay for the moral satisfaction gained by letting the guilty off.
Look at the post about Brewer’s comment; that he would do it all again. Is there good reason to doubt that? And if it is not doubted, can it really be doubted that someday that’s exactly what he would have done?
Is deterrence no longer to be considered a proper basis for punitive actions?