G
godisgood77
Guest
There is a good article in the Wall Street Journal today about Trump’s push to reinstate the death penalty including his strong support for capital punishment… The article also focuses on the other inmates scheduled to be murdered in the coming weeks.
I found this passage to be particularly poignant… Mr. Lee’s comments bring to bare his humanity for me. Mr. Barr’s comments strike me as dishonest at best. The majority of Americans oppose the death penalty, including 35 states that have banned it and the federal gov’t has executed anyone in 17 years… so it is far more appropriate to say that President Trump and AG Barr made the choice to murder these people. This is based on their aggressive pursuit of the death penalty.
At 7:46 a.m., Mr. Lee was seen strapped to a gurney wearing a brown shirt with an IV in his left arm, according to media accounts. A spiritual adviser was present. Asked if he wanted to make a final statement, he said, “I didn’t do it. I’ve made a lot of mistakes in my life, but I’m not a murderer.”
“You’re killing an innocent man,” he said.
Mr. Barr, in a statement, said, “Today, Lee finally faced the justice he deserved. The American people have made the considered choice to permit capital punishment for the most egregious federal crimes, and justice was done today in implementing the sentence for Lee’s horrific offenses.”
I found this passage to be particularly poignant… Mr. Lee’s comments bring to bare his humanity for me. Mr. Barr’s comments strike me as dishonest at best. The majority of Americans oppose the death penalty, including 35 states that have banned it and the federal gov’t has executed anyone in 17 years… so it is far more appropriate to say that President Trump and AG Barr made the choice to murder these people. This is based on their aggressive pursuit of the death penalty.
At 7:46 a.m., Mr. Lee was seen strapped to a gurney wearing a brown shirt with an IV in his left arm, according to media accounts. A spiritual adviser was present. Asked if he wanted to make a final statement, he said, “I didn’t do it. I’ve made a lot of mistakes in my life, but I’m not a murderer.”
“You’re killing an innocent man,” he said.
Mr. Barr, in a statement, said, “Today, Lee finally faced the justice he deserved. The American people have made the considered choice to permit capital punishment for the most egregious federal crimes, and justice was done today in implementing the sentence for Lee’s horrific offenses.”