Unofficial Election Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter PaulinVA
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This still applies to food, water or housing if we assume that those things are “rights.” Everything an individual needs is likely going to be the product of human labour. You could say that food cannot be a right, because it forces the farmer and retailer to provide it.

I’m not really big on the topic of individual rights, I don’t think it makes much sense really. Still I don’t see how the argument of “personal liberty”, works, because everything is a product of human labour, so to say anyone has a right to anything is to basically say that someone needs to produce it for them.
Oh, all I am trying to say, is that when you get to the specifics of it. It is quite complex, and not a cut dry answer. With food, even the Bible tells us 2 Thessalonians 3:10 If any one will not work, let him not eat.

What is a right? Well there are positive rights and negative rights. I get them confused. And then people say that they have a right to “X” when in fact is not a right, but a freedom.

Not only that. prominent people say that sex changing surgery is life saving. Now as a doctor are you obligated to do that surgery?
Moot point, only a handful of doctors are qualified to perform such surgery. And it is their choice to undergo the difficult training to have those skills.

I also have a transgender adult child, BTW, so let’s not go down that path as it is far too personal for me.

Moot point, only a handful of doctors are qualified to perform such surgery. And it is their choice to undergo the difficult training to have those skills.
I am not a smart person. The voices in my head tell me this all the time. At least they like me. But can I not take a specific medical procedure and argue if it is a right or not? This is after all what the conversation is about.

You disliking what I say, is quite welcomed, because you never asked for my opinion, but I gave it anyway.

I am willing to conditionally accept an outcome but we’ve got to remember, if somewhere one doesn’t take a stand, then, the next election comes and the next election and they won’t be secured either. Our elections should not always be decided by an insecure and questionable system. Note, I am not calling it fraud but there are a lot of red flags and we can not have this deciding the future of our country. It should also play out in court. Yes, Georgia? Trump has a 100,000 vote lead and it takes 3 days to count up 100,000 votes for Biden to nullify that lead?

There may be valid reasons for someone, in this election cycle, to vote for Biden. For instance, hypothetically, if you have a loved one who died or is critically ill with covid-19, you may think that Pres. Trump’s mishandling of the covid issue is a greater immediate national priority.
Okay, Democrats blocked COVID relief numerous times in the legislature so, alternatively, I can not say they did better.

[/quote]

@OraLabora shows both her character and understanding of why the Church is opposed to abortion - it is because of the value of life. The Church is not pro-life because she opposes abortion. The Church opposes abortion because she is pro-life. Human life has a dignity the must be recognized whether in the unborn or the elderly, the poor and the rich alike.

Last edited:
One thing is certain. This thread degenerated into another “abortion” thread. And unfortunately it seems impossible to have a civil discussion about it. Too bad.

I began with the word “perhaps.” There is nothing flawed about the character of one who explores possibilities. As it reflects to her character, it is meaningless. But as in the teaching of the mote and the beam, it is always only our own character that we must attend to.

One thing is certain. This thread degenerated into another “abortion” thread. And unfortunately it seems impossible to have a civil discussion about it. Too bad.
The two iron laws of CAF: 1) every thread is an abortion thread, 2) you can’t actually discuss it.

Once was enough.

I’d Rather have my blood sucked out by leeches
Shove an ice pick under a toenail or two
I’d rather clean all the bathrooms in Grand Central Station with my tongue

On a more serious note, the only thing sadder than Christians slashing at other Christians is enjoying it.

Last edited:
I’d Rather have my blood sucked out by leeches
Shove an ice pick under a toenail or two
I’d rather clean all the bathrooms in Grand Central Station with my tongue
Off-topic, but while we were in our dating phase my husband recorded that song as a multi track a cappella project and gave it to me as a gift for Valentine’s Day.

Is it possible 14,000 dead people voted in Michigan? Is this acceptable? I’m not saying this is confirmed but there certainly are a lot of birthdays here going way, way back.

“AGNES BUSHAW, 1/1914, 48390 ### VOTED! ### Ballot Received: 10/6/2020”, conceivably, you could have a few of these but thousands?

We can’t just kick this down the road and continually have our elections decided in this way.

It will happen again and again and may well have already happened in past elections.

Population of US over 100 is something like .02% (.017%)

Wow, 1901?? Puh-leeze.

DONNA BRYDGES, 1/1901, 49431 ### VOTED! ### Ballot Received: 9/30/2020 (1112 votes)

Last edited:
I want to say I knew that.
Haha no worries! Not the first time! I’ve had a poster here think “Ora” was a woman’s name. Of course OraLabora is the unofficial Latin Benedictine motto “Pray and work” (it is actually Ora et Labora but that username was taken when I joined.

My actual given name sounds exactly the same as its feminine equivalent in French, but Francophones usually get it. Alas in English my name sounds like the feminine version. The English sounds completely different… so I often get misgendered. Until someone actually sees me or hears my voice!

It is time for Trump to concede. For the good of national security.

Biden may get close to 80,000,000 votes.

Obama/Romney were 66/60 million.

We all saw how Biden could not often get even rallies of any size going.

Believe it if you care to.

As if Biden has been such a popular candidate, I might have seen only a bumpersicker or two. Yes, some signs.

Last edited:
Now would be too early, for national security. If Nevada finishes the count, it will be time. Georgia is too close and a challenge or recount might be needed. Pennsylvania will depend on whether late votes are accepted and might be a Supreme Court decision.

I really do not care as long as it is the process that decides, and not bluster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back