What Begat Trump

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nepperhan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you and GK Motley read so many books, atleast we get a clearer picture.
I’ve read on average a book each month since I graduated from high school. And that was more than 50 years ago!
 
I have no doubt that working-class White Northerners switched from pseudo-liberal Democrats to conservative Republicans beginning in the late 1960’s, primarily being affected by the race riots of that era, the Chicago Democratic convention violence, and Nixon’s promise of law and order. This change of allegiance, however, was fueled by inherent racist, sexist, and homophobic attitudes of Northerners.
Nasty comment and this did not begat Trump.
There was no such thing going on in the North. Sure New York City had some marginal things happen. Martin Luther was mainly in the South and that was about Jim Crow in the South. It had little to do with Northerners. The integration of schools became the big event in Boston because it required busing in and out of areas… Once that took place, everything went back to business as usual.
 
Last edited:
It was over 60 years ago for me. And books are my only hobby. Mostly. Was raised in a house full of books, all the family read. Bought 5 yesterday, will order 3 today. Which adds up, over roughly 65 years, to a total on hand no one believes, even if I give my best estimate. I have a large number of focus areas which results in in-depth coverage.

Met my wife while we were working in the university library. As I told her, she’s the best thing I ever took out of a library. And she is likewise a reader/collector. Two of the books I bought yesterday are for her. May order a fourth title for her, today, if she decides she wants it.

I have read 46 books since 15 April, but that involves a special project. Normally it would be maybe 4-5 books a week.

Worked in both the new and rare book fields for around 12 years, after I retired from the military. It’s what I do.
 
Well, think of the Bay of Pigs
Attack on a communist government by the U.S… Check. But not for the benefit of some right wing group.
Think of Patrice Lumumba’s assassination in the Congo
He might have been a communist, but that’s definitely not certain. He was killed by African separatists who were probably more leftist than he was.
Think of the Portuguese colonial regime in Angola
Portugal was pretty far left by the time that ended.
You just are unfamiliar with the situations and would like someone else to do your research.
No reason to be mean-mouthed about it.
I said that the shah had a right-wing regime
I don’t think you can characterize it as either right or left wing. The Shah was a dictator, but he also ran elements of a welfare state. What undid him was the extreme right wing represented by the Bazaari and the Shia clerics. They were far more “right” than the Shah was.
 
Last edited:
Worked in both the new and rare book fields for around 12 years, after I retired from the military. It’s what I do.
But I read books on tape in the car instead of listening to music. I get a lot of pages in that way. Plus, I have at least 5 books in the back of my Kindle I have yet to read and I rent and download library books to my Kindle. Its a hobby.
 
Attack on a communist government by the U.S… Check. But not for the benefit of some right wing group.
Who do you think those commies had overthrown?
He might have been a communist, but that’s definitely not certain. He was killed by African separatists who were probably more leftist than he was.
Actually, he sought the help of communists when turned down for help in fighting off insurgents by the US and Britain. The Church committee said that the CIA was complicit in his assassination so don’t put it on African separatists.
 
I rarely listen to music, though I keep a fair amount in the car. Music and LPs were a lifetime hobby I had to give up, space limitations demanding: almost all are in storage. I do listen to books on tape, and more often, one of my other hobbies, Old Time Radio, in the car, and other suitable places. I have several thousand OTR shows and narrated books.

I do the same on my MP3 players, for falling asleep after I can’t hold a book anymore.

I read nothing electronically. I hate the format, for that purpose.
 
Last edited:
The Church committee said that the CIA was complicit in his assassination so don’t put it on African separatists.
There’s no question that African separatists killed him. If the Church committee said the CIA was complicit, then maybe it was. But he was captured and killed by Africans who had their own agenda.
 
Not a nasty comment but merely the truth. I was there; I know what some/many White Northerners felt about Blacks at the time, including people who lived in New York City. There was rampant anti-Black racism. Of course, in the South it was worse in that the segregation was tangible: Black and White seating in buses, segregation of schools, exclusion of Blacks from lunch counters, and…Blacks being murdered. But to pretend Northerners harbored no prejudice and displayed no discrimination is just plain incorrect. This was indeed the start of the “Trump racist mentality” in its incipient form of Nixon supporters. No getting around it. The erstwhile Solid Democratic South (the Dixiecrats) became Republican in the late 1960’s for no other major reason, while the working and middle class Nixon Democrats in the North began to favor Republican candidates as well. White urban flight to the suburbs was a symptom of the times. I will admit that some Northern Whites voted for Nixon also because of the Vietnam War, foolishly believing he would end it soon.
 
Last edited:
Southerners have always been hawks. They went Republican when the Democrats started going soft on communism.
 
Not a nasty comment but merely the truth. I was there; I know what some/many White Northerners felt about Blacks at the time, including people who lived in New York City. There was rampant anti-Black racism.
White urban flight to the suburbs was a symptom of the times. I will admit that some Northern Whites voted for Nixon also because of the Vietnam War, foolishly believing he would end it soon.
You are not Catholic, correct?

There was some but no where near the Jim Crow laws of the south. Everyone used the same areas and went about their business. I live in a mixed neightborhood and we did have problems.Were there racism, yes but no where in comparison. Yes there was white flight but that was mainly in New York City and had to do with a number of issues including busing in the city. Boston had the same issues but did not see whiite flight as was seen in New York.

It was not the start of the any racist mentality, had nothing to do with the Vietnam war… What brought about the change from democrat to republican in the Catholic community was Roe vs. Wade in 1973.
 
Last edited:
Southerners have always been hawks. They went Republican when the Democrats started going soft on communism.
No, that’s not true at all. It was Democratic fostering of the Civil Right Bill and other acts favoring the civil rights movement. Many Democrats refused to speak out against LBJ and the war.
There was some but no where near the Jim Crow laws of the south.
NY had is restrictive covenants in some cities which limited to whom houses could be sold as to race and ethnicity. white folks started to move out to the suburbs after World War II and the development of malls, the interstate highway system and suburban housing developments, like Levittown. NY laws on abortion had been under review and had been eased starting in the sixties. The Roe case did not push Democrats to become Republicans.
 
Many Democrats refused to speak out against LBJ and the war.
Yet LBJ and his war were so unpopular within the part that he did not run for a 2nd term. The South was not voting Republican consistently until after Carter.
 
40.png
gam197:
here was some but no where near the Jim Crow laws of the south.
NY had is restrictive covenants in some cities which limited to whom houses could be sold as to race and ethnicity. white folks started to move out to the suburbs after World War II and the development of malls, the interstate highway system and suburban housing developments, like Levittown. NY laws on abortion had been under review and had been eased starting in the sixties. The Roe case did not push Democrats to become Republicans.
That was NY and it may have had some restrictions. The Roe case did push many Catholic and Evangelicals to look at party lines and who was prolife not on a national level because there were no national level candidates until Reagan but on the local and state levels. The party lines split pretty quickly after 1973 on the local level. It was known early on in the Catholic community who was prolife whither it was a representative or Governor even dog catcher was looked at…
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top