N
Nepperhan
Guest
I’ve read on average a book each month since I graduated from high school. And that was more than 50 years ago!How do you and GK Motley read so many books, atleast we get a clearer picture.
I’ve read on average a book each month since I graduated from high school. And that was more than 50 years ago!How do you and GK Motley read so many books, atleast we get a clearer picture.
Nasty comment and this did not begat Trump.I have no doubt that working-class White Northerners switched from pseudo-liberal Democrats to conservative Republicans beginning in the late 1960’s, primarily being affected by the race riots of that era, the Chicago Democratic convention violence, and Nixon’s promise of law and order. This change of allegiance, however, was fueled by inherent racist, sexist, and homophobic attitudes of Northerners.
Attack on a communist government by the U.S… Check. But not for the benefit of some right wing group.Well, think of the Bay of Pigs
He might have been a communist, but that’s definitely not certain. He was killed by African separatists who were probably more leftist than he was.Think of Patrice Lumumba’s assassination in the Congo
Portugal was pretty far left by the time that ended.Think of the Portuguese colonial regime in Angola
No reason to be mean-mouthed about it.You just are unfamiliar with the situations and would like someone else to do your research.
I don’t think you can characterize it as either right or left wing. The Shah was a dictator, but he also ran elements of a welfare state. What undid him was the extreme right wing represented by the Bazaari and the Shia clerics. They were far more “right” than the Shah was.I said that the shah had a right-wing regime
But I read books on tape in the car instead of listening to music. I get a lot of pages in that way. Plus, I have at least 5 books in the back of my Kindle I have yet to read and I rent and download library books to my Kindle. Its a hobby.Worked in both the new and rare book fields for around 12 years, after I retired from the military. It’s what I do.
Who do you think those commies had overthrown?Attack on a communist government by the U.S… Check. But not for the benefit of some right wing group.
Actually, he sought the help of communists when turned down for help in fighting off insurgents by the US and Britain. The Church committee said that the CIA was complicit in his assassination so don’t put it on African separatists.He might have been a communist, but that’s definitely not certain. He was killed by African separatists who were probably more leftist than he was.
There’s no question that African separatists killed him. If the Church committee said the CIA was complicit, then maybe it was. But he was captured and killed by Africans who had their own agenda.The Church committee said that the CIA was complicit in his assassination so don’t put it on African separatists.
Not a nasty comment but merely the truth. I was there; I know what some/many White Northerners felt about Blacks at the time, including people who lived in New York City. There was rampant anti-Black racism.You are not Catholic, correct?White urban flight to the suburbs was a symptom of the times. I will admit that some Northern Whites voted for Nixon also because of the Vietnam War, foolishly believing he would end it soon.
There was some but no where near the Jim Crow laws of the south. Everyone used the same areas and went about their business. I live in a mixed neightborhood and we did have problems.Were there racism, yes but no where in comparison. Yes there was white flight but that was mainly in New York City and had to do with a number of issues including busing in the city. Boston had the same issues but did not see whiite flight as was seen in New York.
It was not the start of the any racist mentality, had nothing to do with the Vietnam war… What brought about the change from democrat to republican in the Catholic community was Roe vs. Wade in 1973.
No, that’s not true at all. It was Democratic fostering of the Civil Right Bill and other acts favoring the civil rights movement. Many Democrats refused to speak out against LBJ and the war.Southerners have always been hawks. They went Republican when the Democrats started going soft on communism.
NY had is restrictive covenants in some cities which limited to whom houses could be sold as to race and ethnicity. white folks started to move out to the suburbs after World War II and the development of malls, the interstate highway system and suburban housing developments, like Levittown. NY laws on abortion had been under review and had been eased starting in the sixties. The Roe case did not push Democrats to become Republicans.There was some but no where near the Jim Crow laws of the south.
Yet LBJ and his war were so unpopular within the part that he did not run for a 2nd term. The South was not voting Republican consistently until after Carter.Many Democrats refused to speak out against LBJ and the war.
That was NY and it may have had some restrictions. The Roe case did push many Catholic and Evangelicals to look at party lines and who was prolife not on a national level because there were no national level candidates until Reagan but on the local and state levels. The party lines split pretty quickly after 1973 on the local level. It was known early on in the Catholic community who was prolife whither it was a representative or Governor even dog catcher was looked at…gam197:![]()
NY had is restrictive covenants in some cities which limited to whom houses could be sold as to race and ethnicity. white folks started to move out to the suburbs after World War II and the development of malls, the interstate highway system and suburban housing developments, like Levittown. NY laws on abortion had been under review and had been eased starting in the sixties. The Roe case did not push Democrats to become Republicans.here was some but no where near the Jim Crow laws of the south.