What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
My own novel: The White Rose Affair.

I’m trying to do a last edit before shipping it off to the publisher, but I’m feeling lazy and undisciplined, and I’m afraid that the editors will say the dreaded, “REWRITE!”

Anyone want to help?! :o
 
Most recently I read Connie Willis’s *The Doomsday Book *and finally read Harry Turtledove’s The Guns of the South all the way through. I’m on vol. 2 of Bernard McGinn’s history of Christian mysticism (his discussion of Bernard of Clairvaux, to be precise), and I’ve been working slowly through the Summa Theologiae in Latin (I’ve read large chunks of it in English and smaller chunks in Latin, but before I die I want to make it all the way through the whole thing in the original–so far I’m on question 12 of Part 1, so I have a long way to go!). I’ve been reading Pickwick Papers in a desultory fashion as well (again, I’ve read parts of it but never all the way through).

Edwin
 
I’m reading an assigned book… When Crickets Cry… I’m in a book club. But I just finished The Life of St. Faustina! Wow. A Must Read.
I’m presently reading “A story of a Soul” … I was moved from the very start. When asked, “What is the little way you want to teach souls?”, she answered: “It is the way of spiritual childhood, the way of trust and absolute surrender.”

Of course we all know this, but it just felt so powerful to read it…
 
Hi there my mom asked me to get this prophecy book, it’s similar in nature to St. Faustina’s book it is truly loving words with simplicity yet containing a depth of theological truth. Simple to understand language leading the reader to deeper meditation and contemplation of Jesus’s Mercy; love for us. When reading it’s leading to live a life of holiness in union with Our Lord.

It’s is by an Jennifer, an locutionist and at this time the price right - FREE

Words From Jesus Book
 
Couldn’t tell if this is only for religous books, so I might be posting in the wrong thread.
I’m currently reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I’m only on about page 85, but i really like it so far. Very disturbing, but very well written and a great charactor study. I love the classics of literature, they are my favorite type of books to read. I’ve loved reading the classics sinse i was a child.
 
I have given up reading Dostoyevski because all the Russian names started to sound the same to me and I couln’t keep the characters sorted out. 😊
 
I’m reading Victoria’s Daughters by Jerrold Packer. I’ve loved reading about Victoria and her family and this is a wonderful book.

I’m listening to The Husband by Dean Koontz - very suspensful.
 
I have given up reading Dostoyevski because all the Russian names started to sound the same to me and I couln’t keep the characters sorted out. 😊
Yeah, that is a bit confusing. Luckily with me I am good with remembering names (though this one is a challenge). Can’t remember numbers most of the time, but names I’m pretty good at.
The part where he actually commits the murders was almost too much for me. Highly disturbing.
 
I apologize for not taking the time out to read about all the pages im about to go to bed in a few minutes.

The last books i read were;

Google and the myth of Universal Knowlege

Educationg for Humanity; Rethinking the purpose of Education

THe sixth canto of the Srimad Bhagvatam.

Men around the Messenger- a book about Muhammuds diciples/companions.

and The Talmud Tracate Neazir

This monday im going to my library to pick up some Noam Chomsky. Ive heard alot about him and cant wait to start reading one of his books.
 
I started to read a book called

“Chomsky selected reading” I thought it was going to be a book about his views on politics instead it has to do with his research as a linguisticist. Its kinda boring to be honest I cant really get into it so i only read certain chapters.
 
I’m reading HOLY INFANT JESUS by Ann Ball.
As the title indicates it is about the multitude of devotions to the childhood of Jesus in different Catholic countries around the world. I knew about the Infant of Prague and the Divino Nino, but there are tons of different devotions. Interesting.

Jaypeeto4
+JMJ+
 
Have you read Frank Herbert’s Dune books? They are utterly genius and magnificent in every way. They are without a doubt my favorite of all books.
I just started Dune last night. Thanks Verita!
 
The Institutes, John Calvin
Diary of a Madman and other Short Stories, Nikolai Gogol
Introduction to Christianity, Joseph Ratzinger
Selected Writings of Martin Luther, Martin Luther
 
I’m reading the Redwall series right now. I really have been enjoying them, too.
 
Just got a copy of “The Cllected Works of St John of the Cross”. AWESOME!
 

“The Beginnings of the Christian Church” by Hans Lietzmann​

 
Reading something similar to the above poster:

the writings of the Church Fathers in chronological order – most found free on:
newadvent.org/fathers/

just started so I am only on Justin Martyr 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top