What book(s) are you reading?

• Thread starter Thread starter StudentMI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m attempting the Wheel of Time series to up my nerd cred and in honor of the upcoming television show. I’m currently just a bit into The Dragon Reborn. Before that I read Crazy Rich Asians, just to see what the hype was.

I can tell you that one book I am no longer reading is Atlas Shrugged. I gave it every chance I could, read it in bits and pieces… got about halfway through, then threw up my hands and said “I can’t take this anymore”. So much excruciating detail that Ayn Rand comes across as having had Asperger’s or something (which she may have had for all I know). I would take it to my son’s carpool for the evening school run after I retired, sit there and read it while I waited for the bell, and I finally just laid it down and never picked it back up again. Too much. Great book, I just don’t have the attention span for that kind of ordeal. (I refer to literary merit, not whether it accords with a Catholic worldview or not. It clearly doesn’t.)

In this forum several years ago, someone mentioned Charlize Theron as a possible Dagny Taggart for a movie adaptation. Absolutely! I can see that.
40.png
Kavanaugh Circling 'Atlas Shrugged'; Theron As Taggart? Popular Media
“Ryan Kavanaugh is said to be circling the eternally stuck-in-development-hell big-screen adaptation of Ayn Rand’s self-styled ‘magnum opus,’ Atlas Shrugged. Kavanaugh’s Relativity Media, according to the Risky Biz blog, could come aboard to finance the Baldwin Entertainment project with Lionsgate. While Angelina Jolie was the most recent name attached to play protagonist Dagny Taggart, the blog says that other stars now interested include Charlize Theron, Julia Roberts and Anne Hathaway. Give…

Last edited:
Just finished The Axe by Sigrid Undset and Barely a Crime by Robert Ovies. Finishing Ulysses by James Joyce.

“On Faith…
Lessons From an American Believer”
by Antonin Scalia

Wonderful!

Amazon has purchased the rights. Production is supposed to start this fall.

I’m reading both St Teresa of Avila’s autobiography and St John’s Ascent of Mt Carmel. They go together very well, each highlighting and enhancing the other, which I suppose shouldn’t be surprising. The Spanish mystics really speak to me.

I just finished the Study Havamal and I’m currently reading 'Hanuman: The Devotion and Power of The Monkey God’ by Vanamali.

Finishing Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis

Last edited:
The city of God by Mother Mary of agreda the end times as revealed to Maria valtorta and the signs of Life by Scott Hahn

I finished reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (spoiler: It wasn’t so wondrous) and Always Look on the Bright Side of Life (the autobiography of Eric Idle).

I’m currently reading Golden Hill, a novel based in 18th century New York.

Hope you don’t mind if I respond as well! Here are three options:

That by Fagles is extremely readable and probably most popular these days. I enjoyed it very much. That said, he tends to modernize some of the poem, in dialogue and spoken expression especially, which can be a little jarring at times.

Lattimore’s is pretty universally considered the closest to the original Greek. It is superb, though perhaps a little more challenging than Fagles or…

Fitzgerald is my favourite. To me he is the finest poet of the three, while still remaining very accurate, sensitive to the meaning of the original poem. He does, however, use spellings which aren’t as familiar to most of us (Akhilleus instead of Achilles) - but one quickly gets used to that.

I’m sure Thom will have his own recommendations, but in my opinion you couldn’t go wrong with one of the three listed above. Best of luck with it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back