What book(s) are you reading?

• Thread starter Thread starter StudentMI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to learn more about Our Lady of Fatima, I recommend the three books by Sister Lúcia (Fatima in Lúcia’s Own Words, Fatima in Lúcia’s Own Words II, and Calls from the Message of Fatima), as she was one of the three visionaries who witnessed the apparitions at Fatima. I would strongly caution against reading My Heart Will Triumph, as it is about the Medjugorje apparitions, which haven’t been formally approved by the Church. Plus, there are still many questions regarding the validity of these apparitions.

Reading Jesus of Nazareth Vol 2 by Pope Benedict XVI. Planning on starting Cities of the Plain by Cormac McCarthy.

Also sort of reading Sade my Neighbor by Pierre Klossowski, and Swans: Sacrifice and Transcendence by Nick Soulsby. Going to start In Sinu Jesu for devotional reading.

Last edited:
Starting to read these two books in parallel:
  • True Devotion to Mary by St. Louis de Montfort (translation by Fr. Frederick William Faber)
  • For Men Only, Revised and Updated Edition: A Straightforward Guide to the Inner Lives of Women by Shaunti and Jeff Feldhahn

Last edited:
I’m in the middle of Teach yourself C++
Finished reading Hut Six about WWII codebreaking in England
Read half of Collosus, lost interest.
Trying to write a program in C++ to simulate the German Enigma Machine. (no donation refused)

Started: Thinking like Jesus, others

Finished RISK by Dick Francis. Everything in the story is significant to unravel the mystery.

Finished Trilogy by Dr. Taylor Marshall: The Crucified Rabbi, Understanding St Paul, and The Eternal City – 1000% Catholic, 210 pages each. If you’re waiting for RCIA to start, read these. – WHY THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS ROMAN.

Pulitzer Prize for 2019: (Biography of ) Frederick Douglass, Prof David W. Blight. Lots of similarities to Autobiography of Malcolm X. Both found their own ways and methods of fighting slavery and racism. almost halfway through this book. Slow reading, but a very-well researched biography. Many historic photos in the book.

Brant and Pietre: Catholic Introduction to the Bible: Old Testament, 1000 pages – EXCELLENT to read, excellent as as an accompaniment to Bible Study.

MANY unread books. Total Consecration.

Last edited:
Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness by Peter Godfrey-Smith. Godfrey-Smith is a philosopher of science, but, so far, this is more of an evolutionary biology book than a philosophy one. Reviews say that too. I don’t mind. I just wanted to learn more about octopi. On page 59.

Last edited:
The Discovery and Conquest of Mexico, by Bernal Diaz (one of the original conquistadors). What…a…story.

Last edited:
Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness by Peter Godfrey-Smith.
Sounds interesting. What does he say about the origin of consciousness? Do all living beings have consciousness of some sort?

It is hard to know what this author means when he says consciousness. He considers consciousness and sentience to be different things. In the chapter I am reading, he is discussing where and when subjective experience may have evolved and what might have the predecessor to subjective experience might have been like. I’ll get back to you when I finished reading.

I’m currently reading ‘Furious Hours’ which was the last book ever written by Nelle Harper Lee (the woman who wrote ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’) and I’m about to start reading ‘Warlight’ and ‘The Falcon of Sparta’.

Theological books: God Matters by Fr. Herbert McCabe and The Experience of God by David Bentley Hart.

Fiction: Life after Life by Kate Atkinson and Persuasion by Jane Austen

I’m reading the Discourses of Philoxenus of Mabbug - a fascinating Syriac (Christian) mystic, The Wheel of Time series (I think I’m on volume 8 out of 14 now), More Than Enough by Dave Ramsey, Paradise of the Holy Fathers an ancient Syriac collection of stories and sayings from the lives of the Desert Fathers, and a hodgepodge of other books as my work demands.

Baltimore Catechism, Volume III. I have so many books to read but, aside from the Bible, no other books are as important as the Baltimore Catechism and the CCC.

Just finished Pulitzer Prize winner David W. Blight’s [Biography of] Frederick Douglass: Prophet of Freedom.

Douglass was an ex-slave who promoted abolition of slavery and, later, racism embodied in so-called Jim Crow laws. He based his many public speaking events on the Bible, the Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution.

He was a true Hero fighting for the right of Black Americans. This book comes alive the most with quotations from Douglass’s speeches and writings.

The book itself is a high energy history book and it took me longer than expected to read the 769 pages.

Last edited:
I’ve currently got two books going. For about the 4th time I’m reading “The Way Of Divine Love” by Sister Josefa Menendez. It never ceases to grow old for me.

And I’m also reading “The Life of Colum Cille” by Manus O’Donnell. He was an Irish saint. St. Patrick, before he died, was said to have prophesied about his coming. He was born in 521 and was an abbot and missionary who had a huge influence on Ireland and spread Christianity into Scotland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back