What book(s) are you reading?

• Thread starter Thread starter StudentMI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago I finished The Path to Rome by Hilaire Belloc. I picked it up from the Catholic Answer’s store, and it was surprisingly very good! Made me want to go adventure in Europe or something.

Yesterday I made the mistake of starting two books at the same time.

The first is called Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset. It came highly recommended to me by a friend.

The second book is God or Nothing by Cardinal Sarah. I am only in the early part of his life, but it is very interesting!

Last edited:
I love The Wheel of Time series. I hear Amazon Prime is going to make a tv series.

ZP

Yes. I’m not too excited about that. I thought the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies were bad enough (at least when it came to following the actual story). But The Wheel of Time books have been great! The imagery is so vivid that I actually had nightmares about trollocs when I first started reading the series!

I am trying to read “The art of praying liturgy” by Gregory Manly and Anneliese Reinhard but having a hard time with it. But am also really enjoying “Prayers, Promises and Devotions from the Holy Souls in Purgatory” by Susan Tassone. And I was reading another one about the souls IN purgatory but cant find it to get the true title. Will have to search tonight it will drive me bonkers till I find it again! LOL

Just got the Manual for Men by Most Reverend Thomas J. Olmsted today. It’s from TAN books and just received it in the mail today. Seems like the perfect gift especially with Father’s Day coming up on Sunday.

Last week I was vacationing in Norway in a little mountain hotel in a place called Vatnahalsen. Think of Tolkien’s Rivendell, but without elves and you’ve got it about right. Since it was raining I decided to entertain myself by browsing the hotel’s library. All the books I saw were in Norwegian and thus inaccessible to me. But then I chanced upon the only book in English I saw. It was by P.G. Wodehouse, a turn of the 20th century English humorist. I recognized the name, although I knew nothing about him or his work. And so I passed the time in the Norwegian mountains reading Meet Mr. Mulliner, a charming collection of short stories of farcical romances all connected by being about various men in the Mulliner family.

Last edited:
I’m reading Volume 2 of Stephen Kotkin’s biography of Stalin, ‘Stalin: Waiting for Hitler 1929-1941.’

Last edited:
I’m currently reading:

The Sword of the Lichtor, by Gene Wolfe
The Catholic Church and the Bible
and Introduction to the Devout Life.

I’m also occasionally making my way through Agustin’s Confessions.

There is a Facebook discussion group for this book if you are interested.

I am reading a few almost finished The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis and half way through I want to see God by P. Marie-Eugene. I’ve also almost finished a little booklet of the revelations of The Virgin Mary to St Bridget of Sweden.

For fun? Silent Corner - Dean Koontz.
With the boy? Harry Potter Goblet of Fire.
For faith? Counterfeit Christs by Trent Horn.
With the girl? Why We’re Catholic by Trent Horn (I like Trent Horn).

I’m a slow reader though, and it takes me forever.

Has anyone read any of the books written by Pope Francis? If so, could you recommend any or all of them?

I’ve read four from Pope Francis, and personally recommend all of them:

The Joy of the Gospel (Evangeli Gaudium), his first apostolic exhortation on evangelization,
On Care for Our Common Home (Laudato Si), his encyclical letter on environmental stewardship,
Rejoice and Be Glad (Gaudete et Exsultate), another apostolic exhortation on our call to holiness, and,
The Name of God is Mercy, a conversation in book form with Andrea Tornielli.

I can’t say which is my favorite. There are very good teachings in all of them.

Last edited:
Just finished The World, the Flesh, and Father Smithemphasized text** by Bruce Marshall. It’s a quiet, thoughtful story; I thought it exquisite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back