What book(s) are you reading?

• Thread starter Thread starter StudentMI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Responses to 101 Questions on Death and Eternal Life, by Peter C. Phan (Paulist Press, 1997)

The book I recently read is from Fr. Calloway “No Turning Back”.

Recommended reading for anyone wanting to see a real-world example of what God’s Grace can do.

A previous poster asked if anyone has any suggestions for a book or books that deal with Marian apparitions?

I recommend “A Woman Shall Conquer,” by Don Sharkey. Each chapter of this excellent book covers a separate apparition of the Virgin Mary. I came across it 40 years ago and have still gone to it over the years.

The End of the Present World and the Mysteries of the Future Life by Fr. Charles Arminjon. It was a big influence on St. Therese.

Currently reading The Church, by Cardinal Wuerl and Mike Aquilina.

Just finished Catholic Devotions, by Mike Aquilina and another guy.

Previously, How Christianity Saved Civilization and Must Do
So Again
, by Mike Aquilina. And before that, Good Pope, Bad Pope, by Mike Aquilina.

Mike is on EWTN, carrying Scott Hahn’s water, but I think he should have a show about his own books. He’s a much better writer than Scott Hahn, IMO.

Render Unto Caesar: Serving the Nation by Living Our Catholic Beliefs in Political Life by Charles Chaput

The Catholic Verses: 95 Bible Passages That Confound Protestants by Dave Armstrong

I am branching out a bit. I’m currently reading “Martin Luther” by Eric Metaxas. Even though the author is a Protestant, and it’s about Martin Luther, since Peter Kreeft endorsed it, I thought it might be a bit more comprehensive & less biased than books written by other Protestant authors.

“This massive but eminently readable biography of Luther deserves no less an adjective than ‘formidable.’ Eric Metaxas is to religious biographers as Pixar is to cartoons.” - Peter Kreeft, author of Catholics & Protestants: What Can We Learn From Each Other?

With an endorsement like that from such an astute & notably respected Catholic author & theologian, I figured “Why not?” So, far, I’m surprisingly pleased!

Last edited:
Peace Of Soul, Fulton J Sheen. cc 1946

it is still being published and is available from booksellers. I picked up this copy from a thrift store.
Most notable chapter I am reading, The Philosophy of Anxiety.

wow. insightful truthful look into the etiology . like nothing you will read in modern literature!

Good Goats; Healing Our Image of God, by Dennis, Sheila and Matthew Linn (Paulist Press 1994)

Winning Armageddon by Trevor Albertson. Curtis LeMay and Strategic Air Command 1948-1957.

Carthage Must Be Destroyed, The Rise and Fall of an Ancient Civilization by Richard Miles. And Hostage to the Devil by Malachi Martin.

Swann’s Way by Marcel Proust
Now that’s a bulky work. If you can read French, I’d advise you to read it in that language. Apparently lots of nuance gets lost in translation, most notably the first line of the novel.

Alas I don’t know enough French to read it in the original. Would be awesome if I could. I’m reading the newer translation by Lydia Davis that is supposed to be somewhat closer to the original. It’s very poetic and I’ll admit somewhat hypnotizing. I sat down to read a few pages and wound up reading like like 20 due to the beauty of the descriptions and the flow.

Last edited:
I’m currently finishing the Odyssey. Not much impressed, to tell the truth. It must have been better in the original Greek.

Last edited:
Just about finished the Trent Catechism, with Bishop Sheen’s Life of Christ next up.

Not reading it right now, but saw a book on Amazon a little while ago titled:

Why Protestant Bibles Are Smaller.

Reminded me of that YouTube video Trent Horn made a couple of years ago with a similar title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back