What book(s) are you reading?

• Thread starter Thread starter StudentMI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently reading The Story of a Soul by Saint Therese of Lisieux. At the end of Chapter 2 she mentions the “moving story of The Golden Path.”
It would have been published prior to 1880. Does anyone recognize this?
I’ve tried the Gutenberg Project without success.
jt

Last edited:
I’ve tried and tried to read them, bought the entire thing on Audible even, nope it is just so dry!!

Sometimes you just have to be in the right mood for a book. I’ve been known to buy a few and put them on my shelves to age properly.
A few years down the road, they are finally the right book at the right time.
I hope this proves to be your experience, but if not, may God bless you with your future selections.
Is anything catching your fancy at present?

“Jane Eyre” is my favorite novel.
I decided to check it out after watching a movie for it after one of my co-workers complained that it was too traditional valued for her tastes. Then when I found it on Formed with commentary I was even more intrigued.

The Power of Silence against the Dictatorship of Noise by Cardinal Robert Sarah and Nicolas Diat.

I just finished Elena Ferrante’s “Story of a New Name”. I’m very frustrated with it. The characters are very interesting, but they make such terrible decisions.

I felt the same after the first volume, “My Brilliant Friend” and was sure I wouldn’t continue.

:confused:

150 Bible Verses Every Catholic Should Know - Patrick Madrid

And because we’re trying to improve our health, Mama and I are sharing Super Foods For Seniors by the Editors FC&A Medical Publishing

The Joy of Religious Pluralism; A Personal Journey, by Peter C. Phan

That is a good one; I read it years ago and enjoyed it. 🙂 I like Dave Armstrong’s apologetics books; they should be more well-known.

You are probably right. Just, he’s folksy and homey and unassuming, so I guess I just like him better. I would say Hahn is maybe more learned in history, but Mike’s easy writing style just seems to come so naturally.

We are reading Pope Emeritus Benedict’s Jesus of Nazareth volume 1 in our parish’s theological reading group. Five weeks in and we’re on chapter 2!

Last edited:
I just finished Peter Ackroyd’s biography of St. Thomas More. Highly recommended. Not a hagiography but a well researched work that is respectful and shows good understanding of More’s faith. Ackroyd, moreover, is a beautiful writer. I came away with a deeper devotion to More who I believe is increasingly relevant to our times.

Sounds like an awesome learning opportunity! It’s great to see parishes digging into their faith studies with adult reading groups. One of the parishes in our area is doing an encyclical study in the fall. It’s so exciting to see these opportunities being developed for us. I would love to read Jesus of Nazareth in a group! Enjoy!!!

They are both excellent writers, faithful to the Magisterium, so books by either would be a good choice.

I’ve been on a Hamlet kick, watching the Branagh and Olivier films and then rereading the play these last few days.
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Last edited:
George F. Will - The Conservative Sensibility.

Regardless of one’s political (his conservatism is 18 century liberalism in line with the founding fathers) or religious (he’s an atheist who nevertheless respects Judeo-Christain tradition and morality and its value to the founders and as a check on hedonism and narcissism) leanings this book is an education in itself. It has to be read more than once to fully absorb. A distillation of Will’s 50 plus years covering politics and culture. Anecdotal, witty, brilliant, both broad ranging and profound, crystal clear, enlightening, never boring, masterful. Naysayers complain he’s showing off his knowledge and writing ability. Anti-intellectual hogwash. Elite athletes and elite musicians at their best are a thing of beauty as are elite intellectuals.

Last edited:
Teilhard’s Mysticism: Seeing the Inner Face of Evolution, by Kathleen Duffy, S.S.J.

“Holy Wisdom” by Augustine Baker on contemplative prayer when I’m reading online, and St. Alphonsus di Liguori “A way to perfection” when keeping my kids company in the living room with a book in my lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back