What book(s) are you reading?

• Thread starter Thread starter StudentMI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read “The Devil in the City of Angels” by Jesse Romero…Wow! He makes it plain how we need to be prayer warriors these days!

I am now reading another book by him "Catholics, Wake Up! "

I got a new Bible (NIV). Currently making my way through the book of Numbers.

How to listen when God is speaking by fr Mitch Pacwa, SJ
The Catholic Church saved my marriage by Dr David Anders
Gaudete et exsultate by pope Francis

are on top of the pile of books. I must say they are all very good.

Whenever I checked out his column in Time or Newsweek–I forget which it was–he was mainly all about baseball. I don’t care about baseball, so I just quit looking for his column.

St. Benedict & St. Therese by Dwight Longenecker
Le secret de Rosaire by Saint Louis -Marie Grignion de Montfort
The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky

Yes he does write a lot about baseball. He even wrote at least one book about baseball. His most recent book that I mentioned barely mentions baseball. And one other thing, he makes a point to never mention by name not even once the current US President whom he’s not a fan of at all. The book goes beyond current partisanship and deals with the issues from a broad historical perspective.

Last edited:
Masters of Death by Richard Rhodes, about the Einsatzgruppen. It’s good but, I think I need a break, and I’m near the end. It’s very dark.

Starting Covered Wagon women: Diaries &Letters from the Western Trails, 1853-1854.

You just might surprise yourself!
I’m currently reading about a woman who has two children with mumps in her covered wagon.
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

I love visiting the missions in the mountains. It amazes me what priests could create using limited resources and I am in awe of their courage and dedication to those whom they served. Here are a few favorites.

The first link will give you images of a mission in northern Idaho where priests made decorative candle holders from cans and painted with berry stain. Sacred Heart Mission (1850s) is now preserved as a state park.

Here’s Saint Ignatius in western Montana (1890s)

and a phototour of Saint Mary’s mission in sStevensville (western Montana-1860s)

Last edited:
Right now, I’m split between Life of Saint Catherine of Siena by Blessed Raymond of Capua and True Devotion to Mary by Saint Louis de Montfort.

I’m reading Joseph Ratzinger’s works on the life of Jesus. Very good. Next I’m going to re-read Fr. Walter Ciszak’s two books on his time as a missionary in Russia. One is With God in Russia, and the later one is a more mature, spiritual reflection on what occurred. Highly, highly recommended! In fact, some of the best spiritual guides I’ve read–ever.

Still reading City of God. Also reading Democracy: The God That Failed by Hans Hermann Hoppe, and Living the Truth in Love edited by Janet Smith and Paul Check, an essay collection about same sex attraction.

Reading a lot of Plato lately for school. Book 10 of the Republic, and Ion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back