What book(s) are you reading?

• Thread starter Thread starter StudentMI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Wilder - The Lost Staff of Wonders.

The Wild Robot and The Wild Robot Escapes

The Tuttle Twins learn about the Law

Once Upon a Time Saints

The Gorilla who wanted to Grow up

Miracle in Music City

Stories of Faith for Christmas; Guideposts for the Soul.

Hundred Dresses

Courage of Sarah Noble

Whatever After - Abby in Wonderland.

Cat Sitter - Mystery of the Siamese

Bell’s Discovery - Princess beginnings.

Last edited:
What is written in the Catechism on marriage.

The Path to Rome Modern Journeys to the Catholic Church edited by Dwight Longenecker and Cyprian Blamires

Till man och kvinna skapade Han dem en introduktion till kroppens teologi by sr Sofie Hamring OP. (To man and woman He created them - an introduction to the Theology of the Body.) For those on this forum who understand Swedish I can highly recommend this book and if you have the possibility to hear sr Sofie OP talk about TOTB just “Go!”.

Politisizing the Bible by Scott Hahn

Socrates Meets Hume by Peter Kreeft

The Gospel in Slow Motion by Ronald Knox

I’m currently reading A Big Heart Open to God, a narrated transcript of the author’s (Father Antonio Spadaro, SJ) interview-style conversations with Pope Francis.

I have been reading Fr. Gabriele Amorth’s book An Exorcist Explains the Demonic. I also started reading St. Francis de Sales’ classic An Introduction to the Devout Life last night.

I’ve just started reading The Training of the Will by Johann Lindworsky, S.J. On the first ten pages he discusses various theories and experiments on the will, and the discussion of them is a little abstruse to me. It’s supposed to be a helpful book for laymen, though, so I’m pressing on in in the expectation that it gets easier soon. I just need the will to keep going, which would be easier if I’d already read the book… but then I wouldn’t need to read it, would I?

Ben Jonson’s Bartholomew Fair. Old Ben did not suffer fools lightly–but he had even less patience for Puritans!

I am on a reading marathon of non-fiction lately.

Father George Rutler’s “Grace and Truth” - “Twenty Steps to Embracing Virtue and Saving Civilization” is so amazing is that he has such understanding of history and what is affecting us now.

I need to read his sentences slowly so I can grasp what I can from his brilliant, gifted mind.

I watched the movie the day after finishing the book. I preferred the book which left me with a sense of the need to renew one’s vocation. I’ve read several books by Rumer Godden and never been disappointed. This one was lovely.
Now I’'m readingThe Face of Innocence: Three stories by Georges Bernanos. The first story: Joan, Heretic and Saint was fascinating. Quite a few authors have been captivated by Joan of Arc. Mark Twain considered his book about her to be his best work.

I’m reading “Timeless: A History of the Catholic Church” by Steve Weidenkopf, and “Introduction to Christianity” by Joseph Ratzinger. Both great reads for different reasons.

The Minor Prophets. Douay, Jerusalem Bible, and NABRE translations.

Last edited:
Conscious Contact with God; The Psalms for Addiction and Recovery, by Fr. Kenneth W. Schmidt.

The Mystical City of God by Venerable Mary of Jesus of Agreda.

It was published in 1722. It is a 4 volume book that details the life of the Virgin Mary and her life with Jesus. It has many details about the role of Mary in the Catholic Church and about the angels…this is easily the most eloquent and illuminating book I have ever read and it brought great peace of mind and understanding of our Catholic faith to me. It is also a page-turner, I can’t recommend it enough.

Also Revelations of Divine Love by St. Julian of Norwich, it was published around the year 1400, and was the first book ever published in English by a woman. In prayer she asked Jesus her questions about the faith and he answered them through visions in 16 parts.

These books are generally inexpensive and have been published and republished so many times that all the covers look different. They are considered accurate / believable by the Church as far as I know. ❤️:+1:t3:

David Horowitz - Dark Agenda; The War to Destroy Christian America. Just started reading after getting got from library today. Less than 200 hundred pages. Quick read but summarizes nicely everything we all know (or to be less presumptuous, at least I know) is and has been happening.

Last edited:
I was browsing in the book section of my local Value Village this weekend, and what did I find? This Is the Mass, “as described by Henri Daniel-Rops, as celebrated by Fulton J. Sheen, as photographed by Yousef Karsh”! Several of the pages are dog-eared and torn at the upper right corner, but so what? It’s as much a treasure as if it were brand new. This is going near the top of my reading list.

Last edited:
Translated by Alastair Guinan?

With an introduction by Bishop Sheen?

Not sure where I found my copy, but it was around 50 years ago.

Sometimes we get lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back