What book(s) are you reading?

• Thread starter Thread starter StudentMI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aha. A divergence. Mine states Hawthorn Books, New York. And a first edition, 1958. Was yours published in Great Britain, perhaps?

Aha. A divergence. Mine states Hawthorn Books, New York. And a first edition, 1958. Was yours published in Great Britain, perhaps?
And in Australia and New Zealand, it seems. Caxton’s name appears at the bottom of the title page, and beneath it are the names London, Melbourne and Wellington — no doubt the locations of its offices. The imprint page, on the other hand, reads as follows: “Copyright © 1958 by Hawthorn Books Inc., 70 Fifth Avenue, New York City, U.S.A. … First published 1958, twice reprinted 1959.”

Last edited:
Thought that might be the case. The Hawthorn edition was (it says here) also published simultaneously in Canada, by McClelland & Stewart, of Toronto.

And, of course, the true first edition was in French, 1951.

By Man shall his blood be shed (A Catholic defense of capital punishment) Edward Feser, Joseph Bessette.

A History of God by Karen Armstrong (point of view from a former Catholic).

Recently finished The House of Unexpected Sisters and currently readingThe Department of Sensitive Crimes, both by Alexander McCall Smith. Also read but not as recently, A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles.

I have just read Michael O’Brien’s The Father’s Tale and Sophia House. Now I’m looking for similar authors and books 🤔 Any suggestions?

I just finished reading Dialogues of the Carmelites by Francis Poulenc. It’s an opera libretto and really rewards a slow read.
The opera is based upo a play by Georges Bernanos, which, in turn draws from a journal of one of the Carmelites and the novella by Gertrude von le Fort.
I’ve just begun rereading A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. (Ignatius Press edition)

I just finished Evan Wright’s Generation Kill, his account of being embedded with the Marines of First Recon during the opening days of the Iraq War. A funny, matter-of-fact look at life on the front lines. It reminds me of a less-ridiculous version of Catch-22, in the sense that the grunts are sent into perilous situations to make the brass look good.

Just finished Mouchette by Georges Bernanos. Just started book II of Dante’s Divine Comedy, Purgatory (translated by Dorothy Sayers).
It’s been aging properly on the shelf for some time and is now calling my name.

Campusland: A Novel by Scott Johnston

I want to say a satire on the current lunacy taking place at universities, but most of the insanity taking place in the fictional elite northeast US university of the novel is based on real world events. It’s tough to parody and satire a reality that is self parodying and indistinguishable from an Onion article. The author does a good job though. The book is definitely funny but also scary and sad if not tragic when realizing the utter nonsense and irrational behavior going on at elite universities. But there is a ray of hope for beneath it all there are characters in the novel who maintain their humanity and dignity among all the craziness.

Last edited:
Kindling the Divine Spark: Teachings on how to Preserve Spiritual Zeal by St. Theophan the Recluse

ZP

We Have Been Friends Together, and Adventures in Grace; the memoirs of Raissa Maritain.

Please let me know what you think of this reading when you are through.
It looks intriguing.

After This Life by Fr. Benedict Groeschel
&
Atomic Habits by James Clear

I know…odd combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back