What book(s) are you reading?

• Thread starter Thread starter StudentMI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished Preparation for Death by St. Alphonsus Liguori. Wonderful book.

The Shroud of Turin, First Century After Christ
Second Edition just received:

pg. 31:

If the third millennium man cannot build something similar to the Shroud, since it soes exist, it is necessary to ask one question: where does the Shroud come from, or better, who or what could realize a similar object? The fact that man is not able to reproduce a physical object that everybody can see and touch contrasts with the several scientific and technological discoveries in the last 100 years. . . .From this point of view, the Shroud is a troublesome object.

The Way of Silence: Engaging the Sacred in Daily Life, by Brother David Steindl-Rast.

The Shroud of Turin
FIRST CENTURY AFTER CHRIST!
,2015, Fanti/Malfi

pg.336

“…the two chemical dating tests associated to the mechanical test confirm that the Shroud is coeval to the age in which Christ lived. In addition, the numismatic evidence corroborates the Shroud’s existence before the period between 1260 and 1390 A.C. (that was established by the incorrect analysis of the Shroud’s 1988 carbon fourteen evidence) because that numismatic evidence shows that in 692 A.C. the facial image on the Shroud was taken as a model for the coins that depicted the face of Christ.

Last edited:
An Exorcist Explains the Demonic by Fr Gabriel Amorth

Last edited:
Tractatus Logicus-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein. I’m a wisdom nerd.

Same here, although it’s not my intelligence it’s my inability to read long segments of anything, among other things. it’s because my mental illness. Don’t worry, we can still be saints!

Down syndrome is far more severe, but they can be saints as well, in fact there are Down Syndrome nuns in Europe I read about.

Last edited:
I just started reading Thomas Aquinas and Jesus of Nazareth. I am re-reading Rome Sweet Home.

I loved Wuthering Heights when I read it the first time… couldn’t stand it when I came back to it recently! Funny how books “change” depending on our circumstances.

I’m feeling humble because most of you are reading spiritual or theological books. I’m reading a forgettable but enjoyable audio mystery, and finishing “Two Years Before the Mast”, by Robert Henry Dana, which is UNforgettable. Fantastic true adventure and fascinating history. And if you like that sort of thing, try “The Black Count” about the real count of Monte Cristo, by Tom Reiss.

Both of the books I’m currently reading have to do with preparing myself for the Sacrament of marriage and how to embrace my season of singleness. The first one is Three to Get Married by Fulton Sheen. While it’s a good read (and he speaks so eloquently!) I have to take breaks from reading it because either I get so stumped by his eloquent speaking or I have so sit back and reflect. The other book is Single & Catholic by Judy Keane.

‘The Golden Alphabet’ by Charles Spurgeon. It’s a commentary of Psalm 119. It was free on the Kindle store, so I gladly picked it up. I’m a fan of Spurgeon. 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back