What book(s) are you reading?

• Thread starter Thread starter StudentMI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently reading The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, which I’d highly recommend. Its very well written, and like most Victorian literature is clean and free from not only sex/violence etc but also from liberal thought.

Welcome to the forums!

My personal suggestions for fiction are:
  1. The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene (really an excellent book)
  2. Brideshead Revisted by Evelyn Waugh
  3. As @StudentMI said, anything by O’Connor is great
I am also reading The Citadel of God by Louis De Wohl which is great historical fiction.

Hope that helps!

I just got the complete works of St John Chrysostum on Kindle and have made it a goal to read one homily or chapter per day. Will only take a few years 🙂

A Biblical Walk Through The Mass was a great book. I read it when I was first converting.

I have been reading some of the non-approved scriptures such as the
gospel of Thomas
the gospel of Peter
the gospel of Mary and
the secret book of james.

Cool. That might be good. I just recently got Debunking Economics by Steve Keen. Should be good.

The New Catholic Answer Bible, Baltimore Catechism no. 3 and Infiltration by Dr. Taylor Marshall.

I really want to take a break from debating on social forums and take my spiritual life more seriously this Lent. In fact, I think I will fast from social media for the duration. I want to stick my nose in one or two Catholic books instead. I want something that is light on dogma/doctrine/theology and heavy on spiritual aspiration, discipline, and inspiration. What should I read for Lent? Any suggestions? I just picked up a used copy of St. Augustine’s Confessions. Would that be a good one? Thanks in advance. 🙂

Last edited:
A recent one on the lighter side I’ve just read is Father Andrew Apostoli - Walk Humbly with your God. If you’ve seen him on EWTN it’s the same warm and anecdotal style. If you are looking for a more substantial classic I’d say Saint John of the Cross - Dark Night of the Soul.

I am currently reading “The Four Last Things” by Fr. Wade L. J. Menezes, CPM
and then will read the Imitation of Christ when it arrives tomorrow…hopefully. 😬

Aaaand that didn’t last long. Drier than sand. Maybe I’ll come back to it later but for now I started Reclaiming Catholic Social Teaching by Anthony Esolen.

Great Lent: Journey to Pascha by Fr Alexander Schmemann, in preparation for the Great Fast.

ZP

An Economics of Justice and Charity: Catholic Social Teaching, Its Development and Contemporary Relevance by Thomas Storck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back