What book(s) are you reading?

• Thread starter Thread starter StudentMI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Outsider: Pope Francis and His Battle to Reform the Church, by Christopher Lamb.

Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder. I can’t put it down!

About to finish The Quest for Community by Robert Nisbet. Also reading Outer Dark by Cormac McCarthy.

I read everything about Laura Ingalls Wilder and this book is the best to get the real story. Also depressing, as her life and that of the Ingalls family was very difficult indeed due to constant poverty and failure. And then there was Rose…

Agree, the book is not exactly sunshine and roses. But it definitely helped with a question of why Pa and the family had to move around so much. It is oddly inspiring, though, to see how they persisted
through so much adversity. However when I’ve been in the wrong mindset, it has been a bit of a downer. Doesn’t mean I’ve stopped reading.

“Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain” by Maryanne Wolf.

Just started reading this. She describes how we learn to read and questions how are brains will change from reading books to reading digital information. Will we no longer be able to read deeply?

New Star Trek novel The Unsettling Stars, by Alan Dean Foster. It’s set in the Kelvin timeline, shortly after the events of the 2009 movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back