What book(s) are you reading?

• Thread starter Thread starter StudentMI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lepanto by G.K. Chesterton. (Ignatius Press, With Explanatory Notes and Commentary. Edited by Dale Ahlquist.)

I’m deep into “The Penultimate Curiosity” by D.P.Briggs and Roger Wagner after
watching a few episodes on EWTN
it’s about the interplay of science and religion.
Highly recommended

Currently reading “Collationes de Septem Donis Spiritus Sancti” by St. Bonaventura. Also studying Medieval Manuscripts/Latin paleography.

A Conflict of Visions by Thomas Sowell.

“Each new generation born is in effect an invasion of civilization by little barbarians, who must be civilized before it is too late.”

It is! I just finished The Last Crusader by Louis Wohl and am pondering rereading Don Quixote soon-sometimes you just get on a roll.
I’d love a few of your church history class book recommendations and you might be interested in this:
https://instituteofcatholicculture.org/events/history-102

I was able to audit the 101 course and really appreciated the lectures.
The courses are available at no charge.

Now I’m reading Finders Keepers by Stephen King. It’s the sequel to Mr. Mercedes.

“The Saint Gemma Galgani Collection”.

It contains her autobiography, her diary, and her life written by her spiritual director.

Fascinating spiritual life of a mystic!

Just ordered The Way is Made By Walking: A Pilgrimage Along the Camino de Santiago. And I ordered Dear and Glorious Physician, which is about the apostle Luke. They are both used books, so I’m pretty happy about the price. Until they come, over this weekend, I am currently out of books. Maybe I’ll get some house cleaning done!

I worked my way thought that one about 18 years ago. I can’t find anybody else who has read it.

City Of God by St. Augustine
Saint Thomas Aquinas by Chesterton
The Evolution of Modern Liberty by George L. Scherger

Will Wilder: The Relic of Perilous Falls by Raynmond Arroyo and O Pioneers! by Willa Cather.

Finished the Silmarillion. Reading The Highest Tide right now. It’s pretty good for a coming-of-age story.

I recently read a few good books:

Christ in Eclipse by Frank Sheed
Treason by Newt Gingrich
A collection of some of the great American documents

I am reading ‘How to Share Your Faith With Anyone’ by Terry Barber

Hi ya JT,

Thanks for the link.

Sorry I didn’t get back with you sooner. Here are the books that I used for my two history classes:

The History of the Catholic Church: From the Apostolic Age to the Third Millennium - James Hitchcock
Epic - A Journey though Church History Study Set - Steve Weidenkopf and Alan Schreck
These two were the main text books for the class.

Europe and the Faith
The Great Heresies
How the Reformation Happened - These three by Hilaire Belloc

The Glory of the Crusades - Steve Weidenkopf

Three Treatises - Martin Luther

And of course Lepanto.

If I had to pick two books to read I would pick Belloc’s Europe and the Faith and Weidenkopf’s Glory of the Crusades. Belloc demolishes the popular history of why the Roman Empire fell and Weidenkopf gives a completely new slant as to why crusaders fought. Professor Weidenkopf was my professor in school and gave an excellent lecture.

Pleasant reading!!

Pax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back