What is your Confirmation name?

• Thread starter Thread starter Erin_Marie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I chose St. Cecilia because of her dedication and courage.

In the meantime, S. Cecilia, by preaching had converted four hundred persons, whom Pope Urban forthwith baptized. Then Cecilia was arrested, and condemned to be suffocated in the baths. She was shut in for a night and a day, and the fires were heaped up, and made to glow and roar their utmost, but Cecilia did not even break out into perspiration through the heat. When Almachius heard this he sent an executioner to cut off her head in the bath. The man struck thrice without being able to sever the head from the trunk. He left her bleeding, and she lived three days. Crowds came to her, and collected her blood with napkins and sponges, whilst she preached to them or prayed. At the end of that period she died, and was buried by Pope Urban and his deacons.

St. Cecilia is regarded as the patroness of music [because of the story that she heard heavenly music in her heart when she was married], and is represented in art with an organ or organ-pipes in her hand.

St. Frances of Rome. I pray to her when I feel particular need for protection from evil, since she had visions of the fallen angels, both here on earth and in hell.

I chose St. Francis of Assisi, however, it feels more like he chose me. I feel a strong connection to him.

St. Monica, the mother of St. Augustine…and she is absolutely wonderful!!!

Elizabeth, I picked that name mostly because I love it and it was for John the Baptists mother the I took the name. When my younger sister made her comfrimation she also took Elizabeth, but only because I did and she copied me all the time, however her name is Lisa and she found out later that Lisa is derived from Elizabeth so she got a little upset. I asked my oldest son when he made his to take the name Charles after St Charles in honor of my father.

Albert, for St. Albert the Great. He was a well educated scientist and theologian. I figured he could help me during my career in chemistry.

Augustine, as in St. Augustine of Hippo. My signature quote is as true of me as it was for him.😃
Incidentally, i pronounce it aw-gus-TEEN, not ah-GUS-tin.

thomas aqinas

patron of students, and of chastity, and of theologens

three issues near to my heart

40.png
sgt.pat:
St. Monica, the mother of St. Augustine…and she is absolutely wonderful!!!
Ditto!! I was confirmed this past Easter after RCIA instruction and this was my confirmation name also! Glad to see someone else’s post with my same regard.
God Bless!
~Weezir

Margaret. Not because I researched it, but because someone very dear to me (a Baptist!) was named Margaret. My namesake Margaret died on July 4th at the age of 86. —KCT

I chose Saint Polycarp. The story of his martyrdom was one of the first early Christian papers that I had read. All the saints who were martyred have inspiring stories, but Polycarp’s martyrdom always stayed with me.

"When the pyre was ready, Polycarp took off all his outer clothes and loosened his under-garments. There and then he was surrounded by the material for the pyre. Whey they tried to fasten him also with nails, he said, “Leave me as I am. The one who gives me the strength to endure the fire will also give me strength to stay quite still on the pyre, even without the precaution of your nails.” So they did not fix him to the pyre with nails, but only fastened him instead.

Looking up to heaven, he said, "Lord, almighty God, Father of your beloved and blessed Son Jesus Christ, through whom have come to the knowledge of yourself, God of angels, of powers, of all creation, of all the race of saints who live in your sight, I bless you for judging me worthy of this day, this hour, so that in the company of the martyrs I may share the cup of Christ, your anointed one, and so rise again to eternal life in soul and body through the power of the Holy Spirit.

“I praise you for all things, I bless you, I glorify you through the eternal priest of heaven, Jesus Christ, your beloved Son. Through him by glory to you, together with him and the Holy Spirit, now and for ever. Amen.”

When he had said, “Amen” and finished the prayer, the officials at the pyre lit it. But, when a great flame burst out, those of us privileged to see it witnessed a strange and wonderful thing. Like a ship’s sail swelling in the wind, the flame became as it were a dome encircling the martyr’s body. Surrounded by the fire, his body was like bread that is baked, or gold and silver white-hot in a furnace, not like flesh that has been burnt. So sweet a fragrance came to us that it was like that of burning incense or some other costly and sweet-smelling gum. "
  • from a letter by the Church of Smyrna on the martyrdom of Saint Polycarp

Delphinius.

At the time, my favorite teacher was Sister Delphine, who taught us Religion. When I asked if I could choose Delphine, I was told I’d have to go with Delphinius…

Pio is mine, I took him because he was a real inspiration to me. He really fought for his faith (against the devil…literally, read up on him, it’s somethign.)

In Him, through her,
Pio Magnus
(Pio The Great–little bit of a connection to my patron saint.)

Just this year I got confirmed, and I chose St. Maria Goretti. I think she is a wonderful role model for young women everywhere who want to stay pure.

Sir Knight:
Peter.

Want Paul as well but could only pick one.
My 15 year old son was permitted two patrons: Sts. Maximillian Kolbe and Isaac Jogues.

Pax Christi. <><

40.png
Annunciata:
In all honesty I only picked her name because @ my Confirmation, which was a whole group of adults from all over our diocese,the woman next to me was choosing it and I always liked the name Cathy.

However, If I had to choose now it would be Therese`…she’s been such an inspiration to me.🙂
I can top that.
I was so poorly formed in junior high when I made my Confirmation that I chose St. Veronica…because I liked the rich girl, Veronica, from “The Archies” cartoons! (Oh, how humiliating to admit that. 😦 )
Anyway, dear St. Veronica took me under her wing, or perhaps veil, and in time, I developed a deep appreciation for her courage and compassion for Our Suffering Lord, and a devotion to the Holy Face!

When it came time for my children’s Confirmations, I stressed how important a good patron saint was, and they all did choose wonderful, strong saints~mostly martyrs.

Pax Christi. <><

I’m glad a couple of other people on this thread confess to not knowing their confirmation saints’ names or not being told they should take one, etc.

My preparation for communion and confirmation in Catholic school in the '70s seems to have consisted mostly in memorizing where we were supposed to sit and how we were supposed to walk and who went up in what order. Either that, or I had great spiritual preparation and terrible amnesia about it…

All I remember about choosing a saint name is coming to school and being asked in religion class what name we had chosen. OOOPS! I was the only one in the class who totally forgot the assignment to look up some saints and choose one. I wouldn’t have known where to look up saints if I had remembered. The only saint I remembered hearing about was Saint Anne, mother of Mary, whom my mother mentioned once as patron saint of home-makers when I was in the middle of a disaster in the kitchen.

So when the teacher called on me to say what saint I’d chosen, I blurted out ‘Anne.’

Anne also happens to be my middle name, so I’m Something Anne Anne Something. (Somewhere I picked up the idea that Catholics all have two middle names, the one given at baptism, and their patron saint name taken at confirmation - has anyone else ever heard of that?)

I’ve never given much thought to Saint Anne ever since completing my assignment that day in religion class. Thanks for the thread - makes me think I ought to get in touch with my patron!

Nel

I’m embarrassed to say it, but I just repeated my given name, Christopher. I wasn’t particularly aware of any Saint that had an impact on my life at the time. My daughter however was better catechised and chose Kateri Tekakwitha for her confirmation name.

Peace -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back