When a vaccine arrives

• Thread starter Thread starter Pattylt
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eggs and cells grown from cell batches collected ages ago. Nice try.
Current vaccine derived from human fetal fibroblasts originally obtained from aborted fetuses include varicella (chicken pox), rubella, one type of polio vaccine used in combination vaccines, hepatitis A, one brand of rabies vaccine, and one brand of shingles vaccine.

Current vaccine derived from human fetal fibroblasts originally obtained from aborted fetuses include varicella (chicken pox), rubella, one type of polio vaccine used in combination vaccines, hepatitis A, one brand of rabies vaccine, and one brand of shingles vaccine.
:confused:
In order too render a virus usable to create a vaccine; you have three options.
Render the virus too slow to hurt the host but noisy enough to garner an immuno responce.
Cut the virus into pieces and make a solution with the parts that would set of your bodies alarm.
Kill the virus and make a solution with the dead virus and hope the body reacts. Or use T cells from a host that beat the bug.

The first is the fastest (and admirably most risky) option. You take cells from a chicken egg and try to get the virus to attack it. You do this enough times the virus evolves enough to be really good at attacking egg cells and all but forgets how to attack human cells.

This makes the virus too slow to hurt you. Picture a shoplifter on crutches, security will catch it.

So in order to make a vaccine like that…

IT WOULD VERY STUPID TO USE HUMAN CELLS!

Last edited:
That doesn’t change the fact these vaccines are produced from human fetal diploid cell lines. There are others that are not. Growing or culturing the vaccine in chick or duck embryo or indeed in an insect media doesn’t change that.

That’s all. Any more would be off topic and worth a thread of its own.

Last edited:
That doesn’t change the fact these vaccines are produced from human fetal diploid cell lines.
Check with the CDC website. It’s all right there.
That’s all. Any more would be off topic and worth a thread of its own.
Don’t spread false information then.

As for you @buffalo it’s closer to 5-10% mortality rate healthcare depending.

As for you @buffalo it’s closer to 5-10% mortality rate healthcare depending.
Only if you were sick enough to be tested and after testing started. The data is coming in to support something like the flu. Unknown cases were not counted. So many recovered and now immune. Every one you add to the denomitor reduces the %. Yesterday, the deaths in USA was revised downward to around 60K by Aug 4. (down 8k

At the risk of throwing the thread off topic, here you go.
That was 60 years ago which I wasn’t disputing.

I’m disputing the now. I said why (which you didn’t address) the vaccine is being made now (which shouldn’t cause a moral qualm).
Yesterday, the deaths in USA…
Psst, there’s more then one country.

True to some extent but there is also an unknowable number of deaths that they suspect are Covid related that, if entered, would bring it up again. They haven’t even begun to find all the bodies yet!

I do think the numbers and percentages will go up and down for a while. We probably won’t have a confident number/percentage until next year! Right now, it’s just a best guess.

Although you are correct about the likely death toll being revised downward, one issue (and it’s a big one): There’s really no certainty at all that recovery leads to immunity. There are waaaaay too many reports of people “recovering” who get COVID again, either because 1) it gets “reactivated”; 2) the virus itself has already mutated and you can get strain X even if you’ve had strain Y; or 3) there’s just no immunity. As to the last, I’m uncertain. But I believe “if you recover, you’re immune in the future” is unproven. Further, any immunity that may follow infection may not be permanent.

Last edited:
That was 60 years ago which I wasn’t disputing.

I’m disputing the now. I said why (which you didn’t address) the vaccine is being made now (which shouldn’t cause a moral qualm).
That’s two different statements. The same sell line developed is still being used, so yes it did originate from an aborted fetus. The cells have been continues to be propagated to this day.

Use of these vaccines really don’t pose a great moral dilemma. The
NCBC, National Catholic Bioethics Center has some good discussion on this topic.

You are right. We really won’t know until after the outbreak is over (if then) what the overall mortality rate, extent of transmission will be. Data being collected is changing, attributing outcomes attributed to the virus will need to be parsed, and differences need to be examined.

Talking about this vaccine for this virus.
Your US pharma companies wanna cut corners on rabies not my problem and not the topic.

@Pattylt do you remember how sensitivity/selectively of these tests compare to the H1N1 when that was spreading? Seem to recall you had experience in this area (past life maybe😁)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back