A
Asking
Guest
I am latin american, and I dont feel americans are despised.
“Stupid” is spelled “Stoopid.”p.s. I didn’t vote, the choices were stupid.
There is a general distaste in America for many in Europe who were ok with standing idly by while genocide took place in Bosnia and were perfectly OK with doing nothing to remedy the human rights abuses of the Hussein regime in Iraq. The use of the word “regime” for the duly elected government of the United States is an intentional insult and clear evidence of bias. This reminds one of the Green Party’s attitude to the cruise missile deployment in Europe, when that party’s heated rhetoric to prevent the deployment equated the United States, a representative Republic, with the Soviet totalitarian state.Whoa! Seema a rather strong reaction for a fairly innocuous statement. Am I missing something here?
And actually, I watered down what I was going to say.I resent your use of words although you have the right to say it. You would not have that right in many other countries.
With all the talk of “regime change” last election the word is currently in more common usage. The word is value neutral by definition, so I would think that charity requires giving the benefit of the doubt here.The use of the word “regime” for the duly elected government of the United States is an intentional insult and clear evidence of bias.
With all the talk of “regime change” last election the word is currently in more common usage. The word is value neutral by definition, so I would think that charity requires giving the benefit of the doubt here.
Liberals on this board have been called many thingsa on this board, up to and including flat-out evil. If I can let that roll off my back, “regime” ought to get a pass.
[EDIT] I try to be nice, I try to engage people at a respectable level of dialogue, I try to demonstrate to this board that political liberals can discuss issues with conservatives in a way that doesn’t devolve into sloganeering and pithy insults on both sides, I write a post trying to defend giving someone the benefit of the doubt…
…And it turns out that people are just trying to jump in, guns blazing. Have fun, guys, I’m going to visit another thread…
Here, it is not a “regime”, it is a duly elected administration. Though many don’t share my opinion, I’m thankful we have a president who would rather do what is right than what is popular.I don’t think that Americans as individuals are hated. There is a “distaste” for the regime that is in power at the present though.
Joe
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary:Here, it is not a “regime”, it is a duly elected administration. Though many don’t share my opinion, I’m thankful we have a president who would rather do what is right than what is popular.
And I’m also thankful that this administration can’t and won’t run someone through a plastic shredder feet first for voicing dislike or disagreement. Then again, the Hussein regime won’t do that again.
]Chambers 20th Century Dictionary:
REGIME; *n. *regimen: administration.- Also **Regime **[Fr.,-L. *regimen.
]Chambers 20th Century Dictionary:
REGIME; *n. *regimen: administration.- Also **Regime **[Fr.,-L. *regimen.
So …you are not American?Do you object to the correct usage of your own language?
One of the keys to understanding is the commonality of language, if you alter or misuse language (particularly your own) then do not be suprised when those who do not speak your tongue as their mother tongue misunderstand you.
I watered down what I wanted to say too, so we are even!And actually, I watered down what I was going to say.
Yes, you are correct about the “right” to say what I feel, and I am thankful for that.
NOPE! I have never called a liberal anything and regime gets no pass from me when I have family that has been deployed in the Middle East.If I can let that roll off my back, “regime” ought to get a pass.
When it is the word we use to describe a heartless dictator that killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people I beg to differ.Chambers 20th Century Dictionary:
So you may call it an administration but it’s still a Regime.
dumspirospero said:“If the world hates you, remember that it hated me first…”
My point is that we always look out for others…we sacrafice monetarily and we sacrafice our lives to help others…we always stand for justice, uprightness, liberty, and freedom of all people…and that irritates the people who want to oppress everyone and have everyone live in fear.
One guess-- HollywoodWhy are Americans universally despised today?