Will Joe Biden Be The First Presidential Nominee In 80 Years To Refuse A Debate?

• Thread starter Thread starter Cathoholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
That rule, so far as I know, was not in effect Tuesday night.

Things like intercollegiate debate are completely different from presidential debates

Did you watch the debate? The moderator pointed out repeated that the candidates agreed not to interrupt each other during their two minute speaking slots.

There are formal debate rules agreed on in advance. I’m curious if that was a formal rule.

From what I’ve heard, and I haven’t read the rules themselves, they both agreed to two minutes each. I assume this meant without interruption so each could make a point/counterpoint. If one is lying then after his two minutes we’re up, the other could easily begin by saying…you lied when you said X. Here’s the truth…

Even though this wasn’t a college competitive debate, debate rules are readily known and followed. Chris even scolded Trump at one point for the incessant interruptions. Joe just came out and said “Will you shut up”.

Guardian article on Chris Wallace’s response…

Also heard, Trump will not agree to any rule changes.

What they need is a kill switch. If someone interrupts, cut off their mic!

Debate has been pushed back one week,Trump has agreed to attend the town hall in person debates ,let’s see if a Biden accepts as well

Last edited:
It’s not a debate when it is online.Aside from your assumptions re DT,I’m glad that it will be in person,for myriad reasons.

It’s a zoom call that’s why.If it can be done in person better to do that.Less ambiguity to the whole process.

When this thread was started, stating that Biden might be the first to refuse a debate. I saw a political hit job. Now that Trump is negotiating the rules of the debate, the news say, that he will refuse.

This is what goes behind close doors. They deal with this stuff, and go back and forth agreeing to what ever terms. But in the age of internet, we get the news first, with out getting told the whole story.

Too many opportunities to not have a fair debate,in any case it’s a moot point as it will be in person after all

At this point, he has said as much. He complained about them being able to cut someone off at any moment.

Nothing. I suspect the real concern on the Trump side is his ability to stand and talk for 90 min.

.If it can be done in person better to do that.Less ambiguity to the whole process.
This is only true if the objective is to spread the virus.

At this point, the townhall has been cancelled and the 3rd debate on Oct 22 will be the 2nd debate. If Trump is healthy enough, which does not seem likely; isn’t he supposed to isolate for 14 days after his last symptoms? I can’t remember what the restrictions are.

He has had access to the best medical care and aggressive drugs to mitigate Covid.He also said his goal is to make these drugs available to the general populace

Last edited:
Dovekin . . .
If Trump is healthy enough, which does not seem likely; isn’t he supposed to isolate for 14 days after his last symptoms?
Isolation makes sense if you cannot have another way to verify you are free of active infection.

There are other ways to make sure of this other than “time”.

They can just test the President and proceed as indicated.

Last edited:
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Campaign Demands In-Person Debate as Donald Trump ‘Safe Return to Public Engagement’ by Saturday​

Morry Gash-Pool/Getty Images

Morry Gash-Pool/Getty Images

CHARLIE SPIERING

8 Oct 20201,642

1:38

White House physician Dr. Sean Conley said Thursday that President Donald Trump would likely be cleared for public engagements by Saturday after his treatment for the coronavirus.

“Saturday will be day 10 since Thursday’s diagnosis and based on the trajectory of advanced diagnostics the team has been conducting, I fully anticipate the president’s safe return to public engagements at that time,” Conley said in a memo shared with reporters. He said the president had completed his therapy for the coronavirus. . . .

. . . The commission announced their unilateral decision to shift the debate to a virtual format on Thursday morning . . .

. . . The campaign questioned the timing of the decision, noting that they did not consult experts about the president’s health before changing the terms of the debate.

“The commission must stop protecting Joe Biden from this in-person debate and allow the event to proceed as it was agreed to months ago,” Trump’s campaign manager Bill Stepien said. “The American people can see through this obvious attempt to shield Biden from another shellacking like he got two weeks ago in Cleveland . . .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back