Will Joe Biden Be The First Presidential Nominee In 80 Years To Refuse A Debate?

• Thread starter Thread starter Cathoholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree. I’m sure rules don’t cover things like Joe Biden barking at Trump to “shut up.”
It would have been better if Biden had been able to ignore Trump’s teasing and interrupting, but working his whole life among more civil discourse, even among people with strong disagreements, Biden just was not used to that kind of bar room trash talk. Trump rightly guessed that his was so, and since Trump has no such inhibitions, Trump did his best to provoke an uncivil response, and he finally got one. Once again, Trump proves his superiority in all the wrong skills.

First, I want to point out that changing the rules of the debate aren’t up to Trump or Biden. It’s up to the debate committee and they can agree or disagree with the rule changes.

The interruptions were Trumps 71 to Biden’s 22. Yes, someone counted! 😂

Even Fox News realized that Trump was hoping to get Biden so befuddled he would appeared as in mental decline as they have been accusing Biden of being. Fox admitted that this strategy failed as Biden handled himself just fine, showing no signs of confusion.

This “style” of debate has been criticized by everyone. It served no one in helping fence sitters to decide and gave no clue to any policies. Everyone wants a real debate, not a dumpster fire. The few on here pleased with the debate are not even supported by your own party. It was a shameful display of just how divided America really is and showed it to the whole world. We should all be embarrassed by it and hope it never happens again.

First, I want to point out that changing the rules of the debate aren’t up to Trump or Biden. It’s up to the debate committee and they can agree or disagree with the rule changes.

The interruptions were Trumps 71 to Biden’s 22. Yes, someone counted! 😂

Even Fox News realized that Trump was hoping to get Biden so befuddled he would appeared as in mental decline as they have been accusing Biden of being. Fox admitted that this strategy failed as Biden handled himself just fine, showing no signs of confusion.

This “style” of debate has been criticized by everyone. It served no one in helping fence sitters to decide and gave no clue to any policies. Everyone wants a real debate, not a dumpster fire. The few on here pleased with the debate are not even supported by your own party. It was a shameful display of just how divided America really is and showed it to the whole world. We should all be embarrassed by it and hope it never happens again.
That was most perfectly said.

Last edited:
That is true. But what will the debate committee do if one side or the other refuses to agree with the changes? The only alternatives for the committee would be to cave to the disagreeable party and have another disaster, or to cancel the debate entirely (which they certainly can do). But the pressure on the committee is going to be enormous to find some way to mollify both sides, rather than cancel. Trump would probably see a cancelled debate as better for him than a real debate with better rules. So, in keeping with Trump’s principles laid out in “The Art of the Deal”, where you can only win in a deal if you are prepared to walk away, he will refuse any changes that prevent him from disrupting the debate any way he wants. I’m sure he will spin it as something something liberal media something something leftists, making it seem that it was Joe Biden who refused to debate. That’s my prediction.

I’m sorry, Patty, I must respectfully disagree about one aspect - we can’t say it didn’t help fence sitters.

Presidential Politics is exceedingly complex. Most Americans have long since made up their minds who to vote for. If one is still undecided - for example you tuned in expecting to see Dancing with the Stars and found the debate instead - We can’t say whether those undecided folks liked one candidate or another based on what they saw. Trump’s supporters will sometimes see his performance as red blooded; Biden’s people will love Biden and hate Trump. People on this site are passionate one way or another; we can’t say what is liked or disliked by people not nearly as passionate (or informed?) as some on this board.

Last edited:
Sure looked like a compilation to me.

Hey, you went and looked. I’ll give you that.

Eh, I know you’re joking - but if Americans talked about completely walling off other nations, people who live there would go into compete conniptions.

Last edited:
Interruptions are interesting.

If I’m in a debate and my opponent stands there and lies, am I allowed to jump in and say “no, that’s inaccurate”?

Last edited:
Trump supporters and Biden supporters disagree on things
Yes, that is what happens in political discussions.

And we find out that you approve of wild anarchists who claim to support Law and Order while being lawless and disorderly.

We learn about one another.

Ah…So I can’t interrupt?

So why did Biden do it, both now and in 2012? And if Trump was wrong, was Biden wrong also, both now and then?

If I were in Trump’s place and Biden started to lie his head off, I’d jump in - As would anyone red blooded.

Mitt Romney or Paul Ryan would be quiet and genteel - and impress no one. In fact, Ryan let Biden interrupt him constantly in their debate in 2012, and Biden walked over him. I’d just as soon follow Trump’s instincts in this than anyone else.

I think we need less structure, not more, and more chance for each person to directly question the other

Ah…So I can’t interrupt?
Not according to the rules.
So why did Biden do it, both now and in 2012? And if Trump was wrong, was Biden wrong also, both now and then?
Yes
If I were in Trump’s place and Biden started to lie his head off, I’d jump in - As would anyone red blooded.
You would still be in the wrong.
Mitt Romney or Paul Ryan would be quiet and genteel - and impress no one. In fact, Ryan let Biden interrupt him constantly in their debate in 2012, and Biden walked over him. I’d just as soon follow Trump’s instincts in this than anyone else.
Never watched that debate. BUT two wrongs don’t make a right. Correct?

Interruptions are interesting.

If I’m in a debate and my opponent stands there and lies, am I allowed to jump in and say “no, that’s inaccurate”?
There is actually a rule for that in formal debates. It is called “Point of information”. But it’s use is quite restricted. It certainly was not how Trump interrupted. And it certainly does not apply to interrupting the moderator.

Lots of things are relative.

Is there really a “rule” of presidential debates that says “I mustn’t speak at all when my opponent is speaking.”? If so I’d love to see it.

And if my opponent breaks the rules and is winning the debate as a result (as happened to Paul Ryan) am I required to sit there and say nothing? Am I Required to cry to the moderator, “make him stop?”

Even if there such a rule…There’s also a rule that I can’t drive more than 55 MPH on the highway - but I don’t get a ticket when I go 56…or rushing to the hospital?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back